Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good point.  

It's Bienemy or no one.  Just an educated guess.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It will be fascinating to see what they do.

It was kind of funny listening to Brain Balidinger on the radio recently sort of wing it when talking about the Qb situation here.  He goes yeah they need one, he gets excited talking about it, then he gets questioned about whom would be the target, he hems and haws for little bit and then more or less says they are kind of screwed at fixing QB considering their situation which is picking 19.  

The thing is as we know FA doesn't look hot.  Picking 19 looks like no man's land at QB.  If FA had a couple of big time guys it would be different but unless Dak hits FA all the options are somewhat "meh".   And the top 4 guys in the draft are expected to go top 10.  And there seems to be a lot of competition if we got into a bidding war.  So they are sort of in no man's land.

I don't see how next year looks hot where its clear if we punt on it now, no problem, because 2022 looks more promising.  Granted things can change, but right now 2022 looks like a meh draft at QB and FA looks even more uninspiring than this year.  So the idea of hey just build your roster and go get your Watson/Mahomes in 2022 and trade up for that guy while sounds super cool at the moment also could be unrealistic. 

They seem to have quite a pickle.  I don't think anyone here wants to trade just to trade.  But if you don't trade you are talking about someone dropping to 19 -- Mac Jones maybe? Or embracing the Fitzpatrick or Taylor type FAs.  Otherwise something involving a trade has to happen.  That could pertain to trading in the draft but i am guessing it won't be easy and we'd be giving up a ton.

Putting myself in their shoes, the more I think about it the more perhaps I'd leave FA alone and not chase any of those guys unless they have concerns about Allen's health.   If Stafford or Watson is available try to trade for them.  If you can't land either one then it leaves the draft.  If I loved Fields, Wilson, Lance, etc then approach that draft with serious aggressivness because it almost for sure would require that to trade up that high. 

If they don't love these targets then punt on the QB spot.    I disagree with the mindset of just keep building the roster and eventually your luck will likely change and an opportunity will arise and patience somewhat naturally gets rewarded because prudence pays.  I agree with it to a small extent in that I think if you have a ton of patience it eventually will work out.  But I think it could be quite a long wait.  It's not something I'd count on in lets say the next three years.  I'd put money that we will have similar bad circumstance in 2022 and 2023 and are out of luck.  That's not because I am a natural pessimist but because most don't find franchise QBs.  The house money is always on not finding the next Deshaun Watson versus finding him.  

In summary, I think they have to get lucky.  What's interesting is Tepper and the Carolina FO from what i am reading is obsessed with the same point harped on this thread by some which is its tough to win a SB without a franchise QB.  Reading their clippings they seem as hot to trot to be aggressive as supposedly this FO will be. 

So SIP do you think this F.O. will end up swinging for the fences and move up in the draft to get Lance or Wilson or slight possibility my favorite (Jones).  Jones is not gifted like the other two and he played on a team with NFL ready players.  They might be able to get Jones if they want him at #19 or move up very little to get him.  Thoughts? :)

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

So SIP do you think this F.O. will end up swinging for the fences and move up in the draft to get Lance or Wilson or slight possibility my favorite (Jones).  Jones is not gifted like the other two and he played on a team with NFL ready players.  They might be able to get Jones if they want him at #19 or move up very little to get him.  Thoughts? :)

I think you have a strong hot take there with Jones > Lance, Wilson

39 minutes ago, RWJ said:

lol, i notice Jones is polarizing.   I need to see him have a big week in the Senior Bowl.  I am not sold off like some are, nor am i sold like you are.   I am undecided about him but relatively speaking I guess i am positive about him because some are completely sold off wheras I am not in love with the dude but it doesn't seem far fetched that he can be a decent QB.   I need to see more.  I'd like to see Jones without the studs from Alabama helping him. So am fascinated by how he performs in the Senior Bowl.  

I'd much prefer the top 4 QBs in the draft.  Jones to me is a distant 5th at the moment but maybe the senior bowl will sell me. 

So at least for me this coming week is big for my take on Mac Jones.  Ditto for me Jamie Newman.  If Newman looks great at the Senior Bowl it wouldn't shock me if he gets some late first round, 2nd round type hype.  It's a big Senior Bowl for him too considering he sat out this season.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Zach Wilson is my favorite QB in the draft. I think we would be set for years with his excellent processing ability and NFL habits. Sadly, I think he lands somewhere in the 5-10 range and we won't have a realistic shot at him. 

Mac Jones can play. I think writing him off based on the talent around him is ridiculous, though it is a mild cause for concern. He does a lot of little things well and can make all the throws, so I'm not doubting that he can excel in a good situation. Perhaps even here!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m really intrigued by our new GMs view of Garoppolo. He’ll know exactly what Lynch and Shanahan want to do with him. He’ll also have real insight into Jimmy Gs role in that SB appearance run. We do have that stud D for him.

I can see us trading an early day 3 pick for him. Add a couple years to his deal, convert his 2021 money to bonus to drop the cap hit under 10mil in 2021, and role with him.

Dear God. 

So, let's flesh out the math here. In order to take Garoppolo's $25.5 mil cap down to under 10 mil, we have to add 3 years to his deal and convert $20 mil of salary to bonus. This gives him 2021 cap hit of $9.5 mil. 

Now, in one year's time we are left with the choice of keeping a guy of Jimmy G's caliber for 2022 at a cap figure of $29.6 mil, or releasing someone we traded for a year earlier, at a dead cap figure of $16 mil.

One question:

200_d.gif

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Dear God. 

So, let's flesh out the math here. In order to take Garoppolo's $25.5 mil cap down to under 10 mil, we have to add 3 years to his deal and convert $20 mil of scary to bonus. This gives him 2021 cap hit of $9.5 mil. 

Now, in one year's time we are left with the choice of keeping a guy of Jimmy G's caliber for 2022 at a cap figure of $29.6 mil, or releasing someone we traded for a year earlier, at a dead cap figure of $16 mil.

One question:

200_d.gif

Few inaccuracies in there Rufus but always good to see you post, I think they’d play around with his deal a bit more than that. That would be Mayhew’s call if he was interested. I’m just putting the notion out we may sniff around....if the new GM wants him and could convince Rivera.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

15 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The thought of retreads like Jimmy G or Winton is nauseating.  Those guys will never be the long term solution.  They are going big according to sources. That sounds like Watson, Dak, maybe Stafford, trade up in the draft.  Doesn't sound like they are looking for a retreads to me 

Yes on Jimmy G for sure.  He's the definition of a JAG.  Would rather go with Heineke vs Jimmy G.  Winston I can see from a pure talent perspective.  He's got all the tools.  But, I see the Saints resigning him.  

Stafford is the only vet I'd go after.  Dallas isn't losing Dak.  

My stance hasn't changed, I'd be willing to trade 19 overall for stafford.  I'd balk at significant assets on top of that, but I feel MS is our best move with this young defense.  We are then the team to beat in the division the next few years, and are ready to start making deep runs.  I get the concerns about his body may start breaking down from the wear and tear at some point, but stafford is the best risk / reward option (if 19 overall is the cost), and to sit back and think better options are coming next offseason is foolish.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

PUMP IT DIRECTLY INTO MY VEINS

Stafford throwing bombs to Scary Terry sounds pretty damn good. Let Allen/Heinicke compete for the backup spot, and our QB situation is fixt.

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 2

If Denver wants to, they can trade their 1st for Stafford and beat anything we have to offer.  Plus, they are in the AFC.  Stafford probably wants to win.  Our only saving grace is that we play in a crappy division.  Maybe Stafford sees that?  Plus, he and Mayhew obviously have a relationship.