Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Bleacher Report- Haskins Benched for week 5 Rams Match-up, Allen will Start

Reaper Skins

The Washington Football Team is making a quarterback change, with Kyle Allen taking over the starting role from Dwayne Haskins for Sunday's Week 5 game against the Los Angeles Rams at FedEx Field.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network first reported the news Wednesday. Washington confirmed the move:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912382-dwayne-haskins-benched-for-kyle-allen-by-washington-football-team

Because I am a west coaster and missed the breaking news portion of Haskins getting benched, it looks like THAT aspect has been discussed and debated in several threads already.  Based on performance I am not totally shocked by this, but I am also a little bit confused on how that jives with what I thought the approach to the 2020 season was.  Could it be that the division after a month is so terrible, that Rivera feels like being only 1 game behind the division leads means they should change to a win now mentality?  Perhaps maybe RIvera wants Haskins to get a good look from the sideline of all the plays he is not making on the field that are there to be made?   Haskins has been mediocre but the one thing he hasn't been too bad about is turnovers (for most games) so it seems like this is more about him not seeing the field well and missing too many throws?  His mechanics are still pretty bad which is causing him to air mail too many passes.....?  

With that said, my bigger question is why Kyle Allen and not Alex Smith?  They said Alex Smith is now the backup, which means they are confident enough that if Kyle Allen was to be injured, Smith would be in there playing, which also means they feel Alex Smith is healthy enough to play?  Are we to assume this entire move is an indirect way to get Alex Smith back as the starter without just making that  move up front?  Let's be honest this is Kyle Allen we are talking about here.  Sure, he might provide a small spark to the offense based on his knowledge of it alone, but he is not a starting QB in the NFL.  It is only a matter of time before he shows why he is a backup journeyman.  If Alex Smith is healthy enough to be on the field, not to mention I read a small blip today that coaches felt Alex Smith was the best looking QB during training camp, why not just make him the starter right now?

Not sure I understand the long-term plan here. Haskins has not been good, but you're replacing him with arguably 2019's worst QB starter? There was never a real threat to contend in 2019 unless a QB stepped up. It doesn't look like that's going to happen for Haskins this year and it's extremely unlikely it'll happen for Allen. But to just dump a first round pick after 11 starts is pretty pointless if you're not actually contending or have a viable back-up. It's a lost season either way, but you should at least see what you have in Haskins over a full season. There's a chance, though a small one, he is more Matt Stafford or Jared Goff than say DeMarcus Russell. Seems like another short-sighted move, something Washington has made for decades now.

10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not sure I understand the long-term plan here. Haskins has not been good, but you're replacing him with arguably 2019's worst QB starter? There was never a real threat to contend in 2019 unless a QB stepped up. It doesn't look like that's going to happen for Haskins this year and it's extremely unlikely it'll happen for Allen.

giphy.gif

Big discussion going on in the Haskins thread so I’ll keep my feelings brief here:

Rivera said he was starting after the game Sunday. Something happened. Haskins’ agent’s tweet likely was part of it. Locker rooms don’t love that stuff. They have agents that they have to keep quiet themselves. The last thing people want is a guy’s agent putting his cast on blast. But there’s probably more to it. 

To be demoted to 4th string means it was something that the team believed was damaging to the franchise. 

I’m not sure we’ll ever know, but I’d be thinking there’s more to it than how he missed a 4th and goal pass play.

1 hour ago, RawRebel said:

If Kyle has terrible game we can't go back 

And he might. Probably will. But that doesn't change that Haskins is just not an NFL QB.  So even if Kyle stinks it up, why would we go back?  If they have any belief that Haskins can improve, then PS him and put some effort in to developing him. Maybe he could be a serviceable backup someday.  If not, get what you can, if anything. But no reason to go back to him, no matter how bad Allen is. 

Just now, veteranskinsfan said:

It will not be easy to beat the Rams.

Allen will have his work cut out for him.

Piggybacking...

To me this was never about Haskins vs. Allen. It was: Is Haskins the guy or not? Next question is: Is Allen the guy or not? My answer right now? Probably not. But, to me this was never about one or the other or putting them against each other.

I would have ridden it out a few more weeks, but I totally get it. Haskins lack of progression has seemed Mental this year. He had a few good games last year that provided hope. Nothing really this year. You put him on notice last week, and he played ok, not good enough for certain. This still gives you the ability to bring him back in, if another change is needed. BUT if you are really going for the division this year, I thought Alex gives you the best chance to do that not Kyle. He did have a few great games as the starter but eventually came back to the mean.   This gives him the opportunity to show which Kyle Allen he really is. So I’m fine with it.

I’m sure Ron got input from the other leaders on the team, and they were like, “Kid needs a break, he’s pressing.” Or “ He’s not the answer, we don’t believe.”

Such is life of a Washington fan. :(

29 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Seems like this is Ron trying to figure out what he has for talent on the rest of the offensive roster.  Also trying to evaluate how effective Turner's offense can be if its run by someone who is familiar with it.  Thats why Kyle got the nod over Alex Smith.

I'm interested in seeing how well Logan Thomas fares with the change. He could be quite good considering Turner's TE involvement in the past. 

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Let's be honest this is Kyle Allen we are talking about here.  Sure, he might provide a small spark to the offense based on his knowledge of it alone, but he is not a starting QB in the NFL.  It is only a matter of time before he shows why he is a backup journeyman.  If Alex Smith is healthy enough to be on the field, not to mention I read a small blip today that coaches felt Alex Smith was the best looking QB during training camp, why not just make him the starter right now?

So third year in the league makes you a journeyman? 

I'm not upset, but after the time I spent telling myself that Haskins probably needs to start the entire season to avoid a QB carousel if/when Allen falters and to tank for a draft pick, I have only one thought now: I know nothing lmao

Alex Smith is probably drooling right now for the chance if Allen has trouble.

Archived