Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Bleacher Report- Haskins Benched for week 5 Rams Match-up, Allen will Start

Reaper Skins

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

And that's my point. Haskins went from starter - and if i heard right Ron said he was the Rams starter right after the Ravens game - all the way to 4th string. This does not look like a performance move. It looks like a disciplinary move. 

I would have to agree with your assessment based on what information we have. Where are our beat writers to get to the bottom of this? What is Cooley saying? 

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

image.png.406ad4dc07908ac459b51798ee8cf188.png

I'm not a football guy, but it occurs to me that YES, Haskins *is* the one that needs to play well.  Let's face it, the QB is the most important position on the field and you have to play well for your team to succeed.  Even if the rest of the team is f***ing up, the QB needs to play well.  The tape will tell the coaches if the QB is doing his job correctly.  If the team as a whole is f***ing up, but the QB is playing poorly, then the situation compounds itself. 

Your agent tweeting this is a bad look.  The agent should KNOW this!  It leads me to believe that if the agent tweeted this, Haskins has been grumbling about this as well.  Hence, "Haskins, this is the bench."

I was rooting for Haskins, but let's be honest, he should have never been drafted in the first round. 

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I think it's still fair to put this season down to player development. Rivera's trying to see how the rest of the team is developing without a choking QB.

Haskins had the majority of his weapons heading for career years. I don't believe he was hurting the development of his players in any significant way. I don't think this change had any thing at all to do with seeing how the rest of the offense will react. We know what our other players are. Turbo is clearly a stud. Gibson is starting to achieve his great potential. Changing the QB does not change any of that. What does change this is the mindset of winning the division, rather than simply building your future core.

While you can still have player development during a year where you are chasing wins, it is not the same as developing players in a development season. It goes from being “THE” priority to being “A” priority.

Now that win and losses matter, every player has had their leash cut in half. I’m looking at the underperforming bunch, The Apke’s, the Collins, most of the Oline and others. In a development year you can let players play through the struggles, but If Apke continues his streak of play, how many more games does he get? With that kind of new added pressure, that will certainly effect how a lot of these players will play. Jobs are on the line now, and that will reverberate across the DB sector more than anywhere.

Further still are the younger players that don’t get a lot of reps right now. The AGGs of the world. On a developing team, AGG would log significant snaps “When he is ready”. On a team playing for position that changes to “when he is ready to be better than the guy ahead of him on the depth chart”. That could be the difference between AGG seeing a load of snaps in week 7 vs week 12.

Rivera has said he made this move b/c he sees a shot at the division in reach. I believe him when he says that. Unfortunately, this is a move that will absolutely effect player development across the board.  This changes the entire way we have to view this season. While we will certainly continue to see some players grow, many will not be afforded the opportunity they otherwise had/would have.

32 minutes ago, Khun Kao said:

I'm not a football guy, but it occurs to me that YES, Haskins *is* the one that needs to play well.  Let's face it, the QB is the most important position on the field and you have to play well for your team to succeed.  Even if the rest of the team is f***ing up, the QB needs to play well.  The tape will tell the coaches if the QB is doing his job correctly.  If the team as a whole is f***ing up, but the QB is playing poorly, then the situation compounds itself. 

Your agent tweeting this is a bad look.  The agent should KNOW this!  It leads me to believe that if the agent tweeted this, Haskins has been grumbling about this as well.  Hence, "Haskins, this is the bench."

I was rooting for Haskins, but let's be honest, he should have never been drafted in the first round. 

I was with you till the end. Especially that his agent should know better. He just cost himself and his client a lot of money and helped dig him a huge hole.

The part I am not on board with is where he was drafted. Keep in mind I did not want them to draft Haskins.  I did not want any QB in that draft honestly, as I knew they would have to trade up to get Murray. Would have preferred to wait until this past draft. But once you decide he is your guy, then he has to be taken in the first rd. Before the draft he was considered by many to be the #1 QB in the draft. There were concerns about Kyler Murray's injuries. 

Dane Brugler, one of the more respected player evaluators had him the #13 player in the draft and the #1 QB until Murray's injuries were cleared. So if he is your guy, you have to take him in the 1st rd.  There were definitely teams behind us that would have taken him. I am just glad they did not trade up. That was my fear. And that would have been unforgivable considering the RGIII debacle. 

Not directing this at you - Before someone brings up Daniel Jones - is he a 1st rd pick on his own merits? The pre draft mostly had him 2nd or even 3rd rd. But that was the Giants guy and they had to go get him. You just cannot wait on QBs in the draft. BTW: I think are regretting that decision. But he seems to at least have a better attitude. That can help. 

Oh thank God.  The return of the backbiting stories citing anonymous sources.  Glad there's been such a tremendous culture change in Washington.  

Did a little more digging.  Not only did our starting QB Kyle Allen have 29 turnovers in 13 games last year...he also took 46 sacks!  🤣

20 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Oh thank God.  The return of the backbiting stories citing anonymous sources.  Glad there's been such a tremendous culture change in Washington.  

Did a little more digging.  Not only did our starting QB Kyle Allen have 29 turnovers in 13 games last year...he also took 46 sacks!  🤣

He had 23 turnovers, which is still a lot but 6 of the fumbles they didn't lose.

This is unquestionably my biggest concern with him, he seems to be a negative play machine, but he also had far more big plays that he created than haskins so I have a feeling it will at minimum be a more exciting level of football and in a year we are expected to suck anyway ill take that over the combination of bad throws and checkdowns if we're gonna lose anyway 

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

He had 23 turnovers, which is still a lot but 6 of the fumbles they didn't lose.

This is unquestionably my biggest concern with him, he seems to be a negative play machine, but he also had far more big plays that he created than haskins so I have a feeling it will at minimum be a far more exciting level of football and in a year we are expected to suck anyway ill take that over the combination of bad throws and checkdowns if we're gonna lose anyway 

Yeah bro I hear ya.  The guy was a turnover machine last year plus he held the ball too long and took a **** ton of sacks. 

Maybe things will change this year?  We'll see.  I hope so.

6 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Yeah bro I hear ya.  The guy was a turnover machine last year plus he held the ball too long and took a **** ton of sacks. 

I think a lot of people forget, that at the very beginning of Cousins' career, he was a turnover machine, and was referred to, as such.

He's not turnover-free now, but he did overcome that flaw to a large degree.

21 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Not likely, to be honest. But, the change is a spark and if reports are accurate, the locker room will mostly appreciate the move. 

Whether it pays dividends on the field is a big question mark. But it will pay dividends with the psyche of the team.

Which is what matters most in 2020. 

47 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Yea this was why I’ve defended Haskins as the starter... I don’t see any reason for optimism given kyle Allen’s track record. if you take away all of the cmc dumpoff yards last season he was miles behind the 2nd worst qb. 

that being said, the change has been made and I’m on board because if nothing else maybe we see it light a spark. After all, we are still hot in the great nfc beast divisional race.

ive been begging for turner to get creative and maybe now having a qb who's familiar with the system he can do so. 

11 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Yea this was why I’ve defended Haskins as the starter... I don’t see any reason for optimism given kyle Allen’s track record. if you take away all of the cmc dumpoff yards last season he was miles behind the 2nd worst qb. 

that being said, the change has been made and I’m on board because if nothing else maybe we see it light a spark. After all, we are still hot in the great nfc beast divisional race.

ive been begging for turner to get creative and maybe now having a qb who's familiar with the system he can do so. 

I've been really unimpressed with Norvell's son's play calling so far.  All we heard in the run up to the season was how he was going to have all this misdirection and passes to backs out of the backfield.  Seems like the first RB caught a pass in like week 3.  

26 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

I've been really unimpressed with Norvell's son's play calling so far.  All we heard in the run up to the season was how he was going to have all this misdirection and passes to backs out of the backfield.  Seems like the first RB caught a pass in like week 3.  

I am a bit disappointed as well.  That said, Mark Bullock had an article out about how Turner's playcalling and scheme has changed from game to game to better suit Haskins.  It's not a good look.  Maybe Turner's playcalling will change drastically with a new QB in, but even before he had made the scheme/playcalling changes for Haskins I don't recall liking the offensive looks much in Week 1 either.

9 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I am a bit disappointed as well.  That said, Mark Bullock had an article out about how Turner's playcalling and scheme has changed from game to game to better suit Haskins.  It's not a good look.  Maybe Turner's playcalling will change drastically with a new QB in, but even before he had made the scheme/playcalling changes for Haskins I don't recall liking the offensive looks much in Week 1 either.

Yep.  We have to find something we do well.  Something we can go to to pick up some of these damn 3rd downs that we can't seem to convert.  

My pipe dream is Allen thinks Gibson is CMC and they feed him the ball and use play action and quick passing to open up throws downfield.

My realistic expectation: in Allen’s games in total, meaning all that he winds up playing, the offense will move the ball more and score more but will give the ball to the opposing team more often as well, resulting in very little improvement if any at all. But the move will allow the competitive portion of the season to continue longer than keeping Haskins in would, simply due to the locker room morale aspect of it. 

1 hour ago, Rocky21 said:

Exactly. Look, I’m not going to compare anything about this team to the chiefs, and sure mahomes is an unbelievable talents, but my god every play they run is creative. There’s always some sort of misdirection and the opposing defense is constantly looking confused.

given our lack of playmakers and Haskins lack of progression, I’ve been saying the only way we can become a competent offense is by this sort of offense. We simply don’t have the players to square up against superior talent and expect a vanilla offense to succeed. 

5 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

What is this?  Smh

I hope that you  🏈 team fans are ready for some more boring Alex Smith football because more than likely it's coming soon. 

Even Pat Kirwin on sxm who interviews Rivera weekly said that he doesn't expect Allen to be around long because they have obviously cleared Alex to play. He's #2.

Alex is probably getting all anxious watching Aaron Rodgers light it up, who was drafted the same year as him.

47 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I hope that you  🏈 team fans are ready for some more boring Alex Smith football because more than likely it's coming soon. 

Even Pat Kirwin on sxm who interviews Rivera weekly said that he doesn't expect Allen to be around long because they have obviously cleared Alex to play. He's #2.

Alex is probably getting all anxious watching Aaron Rodgers light it up, who was drafted the same year as him.

Oh god, we're gonna kill this man.

57 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Dude after that documentary, I give all the props in the world to Alex Smith. I want to see him.

20 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

That was pretty much his rookie year as a starter and he was forced to play due to injury whether he was ready or not. Gotta believe he's gonna be better this year having had that experience. Here's hoping he sparks this team or it's on to Alex.

Archived