Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

KDawg

14 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Let’s be honest. We played well but Philly also shot themselves in the foot a whole bunch of times. The dropped 4th down pass by Ertz, the overthrow to Reagor in the 4th when he had his man beat... we were also playing against a team decimated by injuries among their OL and their all-purpose RB.

i expect a reality check next week. We’re not this good.

How bout the 3rd down conversion gifts we gave them in the 1st half? Dwayne missed a lot of throws too....

And the defensive line is that good....the Skins are only going to get better once they learn the new systems they're in. If DH can improve the WFT is gonna be better than most think they are. 

I'd love to sign Sanu and give DH another tall receiver to throw too....

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

How bout the 3rd down conversion gifts we gave them in the 1st half? Dwayne missed a lot of throws too....

And the defensive line is that good....the Skins are only going to get better once they learn the new systems they're in. If DH can improve the WFT is gonna be better than most think they are. 

I'd love to sign Sanu and give DH another tall receiver to throw too....

Those “gifts” have been consistent with this team for years and as good as the DL is, the secondary isn’t. Ertz dropping a 4th down conversion is a gift. Sure we’ll get better and I have a lot of faith in the team, but what we saw in terms of domination against the eagles yesterday will not be the norm this year. The eagles game plan yesterday was awful.

Pros

DL rotation of players was impressive. Towards the end, CY was on the field standing up with Anderson (I think) at DE. All 8 played well & allowed a decent amount of rest for each.

Young guys stepping up - Moreau, Moreland, Curl (some pretty good hits), Sims

Cons

Turner's opening game plan sucked. Not sure what he was trying to establish. 

DH missing open receivers - especially the one to McLarin on the roll out to the right when he was flushed from the pocket

LBs getting beat by TEs

55 minutes ago, profusion said:

One thing that occurred to me this morning was the relative lack of dumb penalties. Between the lack of penalties and no turnovers, the Redskins/WFT didn't shoot themselves in the foot the way Gruden's teams did.

That was my feeling as well. And just not as many dumb mistakes in general. We didn't see blown assignment after blown assignment from the secondary. We didn't see constant confusion at the line of scrimmage resulting in wasted time outs, etc. And the team made adjustments and improved as the game went on. There were some letdowns and bad mistakes, but in general we at least looked like we knew what the heck we were doing out there.

I have to say this was a very pleasant surprise. The team is behind both Rivera and Haskins. I love that Haskins was vocal at halftime and throughout the game. Also I love how the players have bought in.

I was not expecting to have a win for this game and neither am I expecting any wins down the line. Even Rivera was like we'll see where we are at for this game. Any wins this year is icing on the cake to me since Rivera was brought in to change the culture. As a part of that he is retooling the team and seeing where we are at. 

I love how the players are responding especially Haskins and the D-Line. I am so excited about our D-Line. Once we get our O-Line to something as equally as nasty then I think we'll have a playoff team. I cannot wait to see if the second game the D-Line is as equally as nasty.

I think as fans though we have to temper expectations. Really everyone has picked us to be dead last including most of our fans. So after one game acting as spoiler to teams is a fantastic thing, but shouldn't be expected. 

I have loved this morning everyone making excuses for the Eagles! How could that possibly have happened to a healthy Wentz?! Hahaha. Our defensive line! They kept us in it then helped us to win once the offense started to come around. 

We have a long ways to go but loving the start of Rivera's tenure. 

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Sidebar on Haskins:  He needs to work on his mechanics still. He had passes sailing on him a lot, and he also is still throwing behind WRs.  His arm is way too strong to be not hitting WRs in stride on these slants and crossing routes.  There is really no excuse.  

Yep, it's the same problem he had all last year.  I don't want to get down on Haskins but we will know by the end of the season whether he's able to step up.  He's going to do his best and should improve with all the repetitions.   If he can't fix his accuracy issues though I think the team will have to move on.   The scouts knew Haskins was not NFL ready and the prior coaching regime bluntly acknowledged that in their exit interviews.   For the rest of us, hind-sight is always 20-20.   In the perfect world the Skins would have drafted Haskins in the 3rd round; penciled him in as a backup; and allowed him a couple of years to develop before evaluating him as a starter.  We didn't have that luxury.     

Does RR and Scottie keep running an offense, and routes/plays, that Dwayne struggles with? Like, does he struggle under center, or struggle with certain throws; is it better for his development to keep calling those, to have him learn feet to the fire?  Or, will failure possibly undermine all the other things he does well and shatter his confidence etc. This is at the root of QB development I suppose. If our DL can remain dominant, it affords a lot more luxury with Dwayne. if not, at least it minimizes pressure on him.

Seizing the moment and using players to their strengths, will almost always get my vote.

I thought we should have got Gibson involved in the passing game BEFORE giving him some carries.  I think this would have established the threat and helped the passing game out.  

I though Logan Thomas played pretty well.  He is a very physical presence and has some pretty soft hands. 

Jimmy FREAKING Moreland..... Im expecting a huge year from him now.  

Many have said this, I think Dwayne has a very Alex Smith type game.  No turnovers was the key.  Kirk threw a pick yesterday and I think it is clear to the vikings that they wasted a lot of money on a guy that can put up stats and not win games.  Also; their D is gone.

Del Rio and Rivera had this team playing.  Restoring some pride in this organization is key.  I think we have a foundation to build on. 

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

But the offensive problems boil down to the line

Agree. But is there a silver lining to their play?  One positive observation is that the line as a whole didn’t miss assignments; meaning defenders weren't consistently running through untouched. The tackles, on pass pro engaged their man and kept them outside for the most part. Trouble was that DH only had two seconds or less to pass. Can’t have a receiver run more than 15 yards in two seconds. I thought Roullier and Scherff played well. Those two running TDs  had very good blocking. 

So, yes, our line was overmatched. But, can the line improve?  Is there enough good things from Sunday to build off of?

22 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Yep, it's the same problem he had all last year.  I don't want to get down on Haskins but we will know by the end of the season whether he's able to step up.  He's going to do his best and should improve with all the repetitions.   If he can't fix his accuracy issues though I think the team will have to move on. 

I tend to agree. Haskins doesn't necessarily need Joe Montana-like accuracy by the end of the season, but we need to see substantial progress.

Interestingly, Haskins seems to have a relatively easy time running the offense compared to other youngsters. He just doesn't have the mechanics yet. Footwork can be fixed; inability to read defenses can't.

44 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

what we saw in terms of domination against the eagles yesterday will not be the norm this year. The eagles game plan yesterday was awful.

Everyone keeps saying this but I think fans are underselling just how important it was for THIS team to beat a vulnerable team. Especially having to come back from double-digits to do it. It may not lead to a winning season but it'll keep the season interesting I'd like to believe.

One of the nerdy things i really enjoyed about the sack party yesterday - every single one of our first rounders plus Ioannidis got in on it. All of them were firing on all cylinders and it was good to see. I'm excited to see Kerrigan break into the 100 sack club later this year. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Let’s be honest. We played well but Philly also shot themselves in the foot a whole bunch of times. The dropped 4th down pass by Ertz, the overthrow to Reagor in the 4th when he had his man beat... we were also playing against a team decimated by injuries among their OL and their all-purpose RB.

i expect a reality check next week. We’re not this good.

And we were missing our best CB, our O-line is bottom tier, we have no tight ends, etc.

Every team has it's weaknesses, and every team misses plays they should make during the game. We were still the better team yesterday regardless.

5 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Everyone keeps saying this but I think fans are underselling just how important it was for THIS team to beat a vulnerable team. Especially having to come back from double-digits to do it. It may not lead to a winning season but it'll keep the season interesting I'd like to believe.

Beating a better team that is less prepared or makes mistakes is exactly the kind of thing we WOULDN’T reliably do in years past...so even if that is a big part of the reason for the win, it’s still an improvement organizationally, to prove that we’re able to take our shot on teams that make themselves vulnerable, instead of being a team that rivals can have bad days against and still win. It also leads me to believe that backup QBs and rookies will no longer reliably tear us up as a matter of course like in years past.

13 hours ago, volsmet said:

Godwin & Sewell with DH on a rookie contract - we become a problem quickly.

It's a total pipe dream, because Baltimore has $40m+ in cap space next year, but Ronnie Stanley is a potential FA too. Can Eric DeCosta suddenly have a Bruce Allen brain fart just once?

12 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I thought we should have got Gibson involved in the passing game BEFORE giving him some carries

I thought we drafted him to be a WR hybrid

I was worried he was being developed as a RB hybrid in camp

He was nearly a full RB yesterday. If we are going to have someone with Gibson's ability in a key role, we have to be more inventive and use him in more exotic ways.

I raised the question before the game if anyone expected to see Gibson run any kind of significant routes not counting when he is motioned out of the backfield, and it was unfortunately more vanilla than I could have ever predicted.

The odd thing is, we actually had McK Run some routes

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's a total pipe dream, because Baltimore has $40m+ in cap space next year, but Ronnie Stanley is a potential FA too. Can Eric DeCosta suddenly have a Bruce Allen brain fart just once?

a lot of teams will have to cut players for the lowered cap. I would expect a lot of interior linemen to catch the axe as they are undervalued. We may not get those players but there should be an unnatural glut at numerous positions

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

a lot of teams will have to cut players for the lowered cap. I would expect a lot of interior linemen to catch the axe as they are undervalued. We may not get those players but there should be an unnatural glut at numerous positions

Yeah, this is going to be a very interesting off-season, due to how low the cap is projected to be. It's not hard to really like the future of this team

19 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I think it’s a great morale booster but to think we outscored a contender 27-0 in basically three quarters after a slow start. That’s not going to be a common event and this coming from someone with high hopes.

12 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

And we were missing our best CB, our O-line is bottom tier, we have no tight ends, etc.

Every team has it's weaknesses, and every team misses plays they should make during the game. We were still the better team yesterday regardless.

And all the things you mentioned: the fact fuller is our best CB, the OL, the TE problems (plus other things like lack of separation by receivers etc) are why what happened yesterday isn’t going to be the norm. It’s not like we’re decimated by injuries like years past or like Philly was. We just don’t have a ton of pieces outside of that DL. We faced Philly at the perfect time for us. I expect next week’s tilt against Arizona to be a much more realistic test in terms of evaluating where we are.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Those “gifts” have been consistent with this team for years and as good as the DL is, the secondary isn’t. Ertz dropping a 4th down conversion is a gift. Sure we’ll get better and I have a lot of faith in the team, but what we saw in terms of domination against the eagles yesterday will not be the norm this year. The eagles game plan yesterday was awful.

I would think what we saw in terms of domination against the Eagles would never be the norm for any team, anywhere, ever. The most sacks by a team in a season is 72...if what we saw were the "norm" we'd be on pace for a 128 sack season lol...

The excitement imo is due to seeing a unit live up to its potential and seeing the level of talent that was on paper come alive on the field.

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I would think what we saw in terms of domination against the Eagles would never be the norm for any team, anywhere, ever. The most sacks by a team in a season is 72...if what we saw were the "norm" we'd be on pace for a 128 sack season lol...

The excitement imo is due to seeing a unit live up to its potential and seeing the level of talent that was on paper come alive on the field.

Fair enough, but just like we overreact to bad play (how many in the game thread turned or “claimed” to turn the game off early with a sky is falling mentality) it’s important to also stay grounded regarding expectations. We’re not turning into KC overnight and this is still going to be a season filled with a lot of frustration. I get the rarity of seeing something actually positive but still.

Archived