Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

KDawg

12 hours ago, Hdf561 said:

I’m living movie quotes when it comes to this team.... 

“I wish I knew how to quit you” broke back mountain

“Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in” Godfather 3 

I want to hate everything about this Washington Football team because I am a Redskins fan and have been for 38 years. Yesterday for the first time in my adult life that game was not on my main TV (I roll 3 TVs deep) I put it on my small TV, and even ridiculed it during the first half. Then like they started rolling and what I have been waiting for for the better part of 2 decades happened we didn’t quit in fact we dominated the second half and beat the **** out of the Eagles! But I felt sad because it wasn’t the Redskins. 

I’m a DC fan and this team is not the Redskins but I root for the CAPs, Nats, Wiz, Defenders (lol), Etc. I don’t like it, in fact I hate the “Washington Football team” and the farce it has become but I just don’t know how to quit them. 

If you’re a Wizards fan after they no longer are the Bullets then what’s the problem? It sounds like you’re drawing artificial lines in your mind instead of just moving on.

Edit: And I’m not saying it should be easy to get over it by any means, it’s different for everybody. But you’re drawing a very hard line here and being very obstinate.

5 hours ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Apke played all defensive snaps. Curl played some slot corner wit Darby and Moreland/Fabian on the outside. 

I mean Curl played corner as a Freshman in college and converted to safety so it seems the coaches trust him in coverage some but probably aren't going to ask a lot about him. I loved his hit on that 2nd and 20 in the 4th. Probably hoping they can get another Josh Harvey Clemons ( didn't he opt out this year) or what we wanted out of Su'a Cravens... I'd like to see more of him..

I'm scared for our offense..Especially the running game. I've seen enough of Peyton Barber.. But behind him you got Gibson, who didn't even handle a huge load in college, you're gonna ask him to carry a bigger load in the NFL?? Mckissic, I'll give him a pass since that lateral play was awful and Haskins never looked his way when he was open on a couple plays in the passing game and tried to force a couple to him when he was blanketed.. Then you have Love who was a scratch.. I mean a rookie QB's best friend is a good running game and we aren't set up by any means to help Haskins out in that department..

Watching highlights of other teams and seeing young QBs rifle shots into double covered TEs that can muscle their way to the catch really drives home what a disservice we've done to Dwayne by giving him ****all at the position. Haskins loves firing those passes into guys like that and it's cool for TMC, but a small guy like Sims or a nobody like Inman can't handle those. Biggest need on the team and personally I don't think it's close.

After watching the game and more of the highlights, my thoughts are these:

1. Eagles have an underrated defense and they will still be good this year.

2. Haskins still struggled with accuracy at times but when I watched closely I could see that he realized that he was going to be under pressure all game and would have little time in the pocket, and adjusted.  Haskins was working with very little this game, not just because of our personnel or scheme but because the eagles were ferocious up front.  He made several quick throws in tight windows with pressure coming that I was very impressed with.   The potential advantage of haskins over Wentz showed itself and was very encouraging.  Haskins can make quicker arm throws with pressure around him, wentz gets bottled up and cant get the ball out. 

3. The key to the defensive line having success this year will be not in their ability to turn the corner on a tackle with a hand swipe and sack the qb in under 3 seconds like chase did in college.  They have to get penetration and disengage from their blockers then use their speed and length to contain and tackle mobile qb's and plays behind the LOS.   Wentz was beaten because every time he broke a tackle there was someone else there to finish.  That might not always be the case, these guys have to get their hands on these qb's and bring the down the first time they make contact.  

It will be interesting to see how they play against Murray.  If they play smart, disengage, and contain him, then we are looking at something very special with this group.      

To expand on my previous post...

I’d rank team needs, after week one, as follows:

1. Offensive Tackle

2. Linebacker (inside and outside)

3. Free Safety

4. Wide Receiver

5. Corner

6. Tight End

Guard could wind up being okay IF Charles moves inside and can stay healthy. 

Interested to see if Ismael can play both spots as well.

Our linebackers were... not awesome. I watched them and they weren’t getting downhill unless blitzed. They didn’t tackle well. They didn’t cover well. As a unit, they didn’t do what linebackers do. If I didn’t view OL as the most important position on the field... linebacker would be my top need. Our linebacker situation is not good. 

I know, people all of a sudden like Apke. But to me he’s more of a strong safety. I think he could play in Collins’ spot and be fairly similar as a player, just less experienced. I don’t see many free safety types on the roster. I know people say Curl is a SS, but I actually think he COULD be a free safety as a guy that played corner in college. 

Wide receiver... we have guys that can run and can catch the ball... but we don’t have guys other than McLaurin who go and get the ball.

Corner: It’s lower on the list because Moreau and Moreland can make plays... and I want to see what Fuller can do.

Tight End: I’d like a better one to pair with the group. But Thomas was at least semi effective... and if the line can’t protect Haskins then having a TE doesn’t make much sense

4 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I mean besides the offensive line??  Especially on the left side...

LT is such a glaring need. 

LG, too, but I’ll wait and see if Ismael or Charles can move there and shore it up a little.

Our biggest hope for the line this year is: Charles is healthy and becomes a good LT, Ismael can play LG and Roullier doesn’t get hurt. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Watching highlights of other teams and seeing young QBs rifle shots into double covered TEs that can muscle their way to the catch really drives home what a disservice we've done to Dwayne by giving him ****all at the position. Haskins loves firing those passes into guys like that and it's cool for TMC, but a small guy like Sims or a nobody like Inman can't handle those. Biggest need on the team and personally I don't think it's close.

I had a lot of hope for the Gandy (sp?) but he may take some time to be NFL ready. He has the physical tools but he’s probably far off from NFL ready at this point. They all can come in like Terry 

21 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I had a lot of hope for the Gandy (sp?) but he may take some time to be NFL ready. He has the physical tools but he’s probably far off from NFL ready at this point. They all can come in like Terry 

I figured he'd need a year or two. I'm really curious about Wright, he's a play maker. I know Cam Sims is a terrible route runner, but he's a play maker and is actually healthy this year, so I'd love to see him get some PT.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

LG, too, but I’ll wait and see if Ismael or Charles can move there and shore it up a little.

Our biggest hope for the line this year is: Charles is healthy and becomes a good LT, Ismael can play LG and Roullier doesn’t get hurt. 

I think it's going to take a few weeks to see how the team comes together after some more live fire. The Eagles defensive line is one of the leagues better ones and Cox only had 2 tackles, Haskins although hurried and hit, only one sack. Our line did better than they are getting credit for. They're not moving people in the run game, but that could change.

Apke played really well, when they stopped keeping the corners in short zones. They did have 2 picks yesterday and although a lot was thanks to pressure, that's how it works. Collins had a great game. The Eagles have a ton of speed at WR and other then a TE getting behind KPL, while 2 WRs on the other side help Trap too long, they only hit the Reagor pass and that was not a TD because we were playing them deep. 

I think it'll take our LBers some time to settle in as well, but who knows. Maybe they don't. The eagles have 2 excellent TEs and run the offense through them.

A good TE would be Haskins best target. We'll see if Thomas can be that guy and start gaining his trust.

4 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I'm scared for our offense..Especially the running game. I've seen enough of Peyton Barber.. But behind him you got Gibson, who didn't even handle a huge load in college, you're gonna ask him to carry a bigger load in the NFL?? Mckissic, I'll give him a pass since that lateral play was awful and Haskins never looked his way when he was open on a couple plays in the passing game and tried to force a couple to him when he was blanketed.. Then you have Love who was a scratch.. I mean a rookie QB's best friend is a good running game and we aren't set up by any means to help Haskins out in that department..

Yeah, agree 100%. I dont wanna sound like a broken record, but this run gane is gonna be a problem.  My prediction was we would be the 32nd ranked team in rushing, and seeing them in live action didnt make me feel better.  The three headed monster at RB works when you're a Shanahan.  When you're a Turner, you probably need better options.

It was fine against Philly, they got by, but it's gonna catch up to them when the defense isnt pummeling the opposition and giving them the ball with great field position.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

So are we out on Wes Martin already?  Last year when he got to play, he looked like he had the goods for the most part.  I'm wondering if he might just need all those reps he didnt get OTAs and preseason.

16 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Yeah, agree 100%. I dont wanna sound like a broken record, but this run gane is gonna be a problem.  My prediction was we would be the 32nd ranked team in rushing, and seeing them in live action didnt make me feel better.  The three headed monster at RB works when you're a Shanahan.  When you're a Turner, you probably need better options.

It was fine against Philly, they got by, but it's gonna catch up to them when the defense isnt pummeling the opposition and giving them the ball with great field position.

So are we out on Wes Martin already?  Last year when he got to play, he looked like he had the goods for the most part.  I'm wondering if he might just need all those reps he didnt get OTAs and preseason.

Not sure I’m out on him. But he’s been not so great in camp and steamrolled in week 1. Even if he was adequate, he is one of two glaring weakspots on the line.

10 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Haskins has shown he can be a viable starting QB in this league. He makes good choices and will rarely cost his team a game. Evident by his 4-5 record as a starter.

Jones on the other hand has not. Until he proves he can avoid leading the league in every turnover metric possible, he will never be even a decent QB in the NFL. He is 3-10 as starter now and will cost your team a game before he wins one for you.

Its not a good look when the opposition can straight up plan to collect several turnovers whenever they play a certain QB. TOs are the most important metric in deciding games, and this dude just gifts them to the other team. Playing against D Jones is like getting Xmas early

I'm a big believer that turnovers are the key to football. And obviously he has had issues. But he was also throwing darts all over the field and only had one bad play, the pick in the end zone. The other pick was just a great play by the defender.

No I was unfortunately impressed with Jones and the Giants defense as well early on, they were flying around all over the place.  

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not sure I’m out on him. But he’s been not so great in camp and steamrolled in week 1. Even if he was adequate, he is one of two glaring weakspots on the line.

Malik Jackson and Fletcher Cox combined for 3.5 tackles and that's it. I'm not sure why Martin is getting killed.

Love these absurd hot takes during the first Quarter - https://sports.yahoo.com/tweets-washington-down-17-0-124417205.html   Too much fun to read. 

Kind of some of the other hot takes I see from a single game. It takes some time for an Oline to gel. They need playing time. They had very little during training camp. All in all it's been a very unusual lead up to the game. This was pretty much like a preseason game. And it played like one. A bit of confusion - some missed plays. Some sloppy play here and there. And people need to not sleep on phillys Dline. They are still a deep line. And defense it typically always ahead of the offense. Need to get timing down. 

I am not saying we should be happy with the running game or oline. I saw Martin and Scherff get trucked a few times, along with Christian once or twice. McKissick was nonexistent. Other RBs were meh at best. What I am saying is give them a few more games and see if there is improvement. Just a thought. 

22 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Love these absurd hot takes during the first Quarter - https://sports.yahoo.com/tweets-washington-down-17-0-124417205.html   Too much fun to read. 

Kind of some of the other hot takes I see from a single game. It takes some time for an Oline to gel. They need playing time. They had very little during training camp. All in all it's been a very unusual lead up to the game. This was pretty much like a preseason game. And it played like one. A bit of confusion - some missed plays. Some sloppy play here and there. And people need to not sleep on phillys Dline. They are still a deep line. And defense it typically always ahead of the offense. Need to get timing down. 

I am not saying we should be happy with the running game or oline. I saw Martin and Scherff get trucked a few times, along with Christian once or twice. McKissick was nonexistent. Other RBs were meh at best. What I am saying is give them a few more games and see if there is improvement. Just a thought. 

Jesus, that is ugly. Of course go read the game day thread here and look at all the people who were ready to quit on the team 2 drives in. :ols:

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jesus, that is ugly. Of course go read the game day thread here and look at all the people who were ready to quit on the team 2 drives in. :ols:

Yea @skinsmarydu and I were reading them as they were being posted. It was pretty funny.  I saw a bunch of 0-16 predictions. Just a little over-reaction - just a little  😂

Safeties

It's so hard to judge FS, cause we don't get the right film angles to see them play.  I'm still of the same opinion about him as I was before Week 1.  Undecided.

The bomb to Raegor was Landon Collins fault and not Apke.  But Collins played well for most of the game so I'm not being harsh on him.

Do we know if Curl played any deeper zones or just shallow stuff as Nickel?

Linebackers

The weakest part of our defense.  Not a dumpster fire situation, but might not even be league average either.

Corners seem solid.  Not every game you go against two legit speedsters, so curious what they look like vs the physical and crafty guys like Hopkins next week.

D-line, was still hoping to see more A gap penetration and having guys shoot their gaps more.  But Kelce is a good center, so maybe he just mostly prevented that.

Kerrigan still has juice.  I think him shifting to backup is going to be really nice.  Save his legs and keep him fresh.

Eagles OL, they are in trouble next year.  Dillard was getting blown up by guys that didn't make the Eagles roster, then he gets hurt.  Peters and Kelce might retire.  Brooks and Lane are on the wrong side of 30.  Combine that with their monster cap issues and their window to contend is this season only.  But it doesn't look like they can.

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Its just a coping mechanism for dealing with your football team sucking badly. 

I do it all the time in the GameDay thread.

Believe me there's nobody hanging around this teams GameDay threads who's ready to quit, if they had the ability to do that they'd have done it a long time ago.

Archived