Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

KDawg

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I watched last night expecting an average performance from their QB, I kind of feel he's going to be just good enough to keep his job but not good enough to take them where they want to go

No 2nd yr QB with Jones win rate is keeping their job. A QB with his win rate will give his team 3-4 wins putting the squad in position to draft his replacement.  A QB can not be the reason his team loses week in and week out and expect an organization to retain their services. Ask Winston how that works out. He might as well be sitting in the graveyard plot next to mine. (Zombie Pun)

Every other young QB, Haskins included, has shown the ability to elevate their team. Most of them don’t cost their team games with regularity. While it is unfair to expect a young signal caller to instantly awaken and carry his team to a winning record, you can not actively depth charge your team week in and week out.

If you want to say Jones looked good from the eye test OK. The stats do not support that however. Not counting that final drive that was purely padding against a prevent D, Jones stat line was 22/29 222 yds 1 td 2 int. Haskins stat line was 17/31 178 1td. Haskins is giving you 80% of Jones production without costing his team self-inflicted harm. It is very difficult for the Giants, or any team, to overcome QB play like Jones’ yesterday. One of those statlines at least gives you a chance to win a game. The other one takes you out of most games before you even get a chance to try.

This is the NFL. 32 D coordinators are getting paid to get a QB to fail. Just because TJ Watt baited Jones is a stupid throw does not mean it was not Jones fault. Every signal caller has to face these same pressures and its not a coincidence that some are able to avoid mistakes more than others.

Last week Haskins looked like a QB that willed his team to a win, even though he didn’t have his best game. He stayed engaged, supported his teammates, minimized his mistakes and powered through a very ugly early stretch where nothing went right. Jones looked like a liability that could not overcome a D-fence that was literally daring him to try.

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That wasn't a "block".

Moses ejected him from the stadium and game. You have to get another cameraman's angle to see the defender running backwards down the tunnel

He was blocking angry on Sunday, I haven't seen that from him in a while, if at all.

1 minute ago, ZarG3 said:

Nope, his contract isn't up until 2022 (UFA in 2023). So maybe he's buying in to Rivera? One can only hope.

That - and I think at least part of it, was him playing with nagging injuries in the past.

Which is actually more impressive, that he would have the will to stay in games under those conditions.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Good listen if you didn't hear ant booth play-by-play

The funniest play was Ryan Kerrigan picking up that fumble and faking the pitch when he was running it back.  😂

You know he's probably been waiting for years to get a scoop and score situation with a man on the outside like that to try that move.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

He was blocking angry on Sunday, I haven't seen that from him in a while, if at all.

This is the first year in several he has had a full healthy offseason. He has played mostly hurt the last few seasons. There were times where he could barely walk but he went in when told to and did his best even hobbled. Not sure people realize how banged up he was and for how long. 

And that block looked like something from the Blind Side. He ran him almost into the stands... 🙂  Hope he keeps it up. We need all the help on the Oline we can get. 

18 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I think Jones has shown more than Haskins has.  Obviously the turnovers are a concern for Jones, but he has shown some serious flashes.  He's got that prototype delivery.  Hopefully Haskins can build off his win.

I hope Haskins can develop as well, but Jones just looks way more polished.  He delivers accurate passes and makes quick decisions.  Haskins seems to have a predetermined read and just sticks with it.  Look at the first several drives where he was 1-5 to start the game.  He just takes the snap and tries a predetermined pass.  Maybe that's the play call but my point is when it's 3rd and long and he goes through his first and second read he typically misses low, high, or just throws the ball where the receiver cannot possible make the catch.

I'm not a Giants fan, or a Jones fan, but he's just better at this point.  For someone to say that he isn't I just don't get that.

18 hours ago, CTskin said:

Either a good joke or a terrible comprehension of football... the last 5 mins was what people in the biz call garbage time.

I'm not talking about the final drive, the final 5 minutes.  Not sure where you came up with that.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I see we've reached the "Morgan Moses for the Hall Of Fame" portion of overreaction Tuesday.

Exactly where did anyone say anything about him going to the HOF.  That was rhetorical as no one is putting him in the HOF. Saying he had a good game and hope he keeps it up.  Also, he has been injured for several seasons hindering his play. Should we instead say - he had a good game, hope he ****s up like he has been so we can be right about our hate for him??  Or jsut ignore that after a full healthy offseason he looked pretty decent? 

If anything is an over reaction it's your comment. A few people pointed out he had a nice game. Nothing more nothing less. 

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

He's the difference between finishing 7-9 and not making the playoffs and finishing 6-10 and not making the playoffs.

Totally worth the 3rd rounder.

It’s not just about that. It’s about making sure Haskins has the best chance to develop, even if we aren’t a playoff team. And it wouldn’t just be about 2020 anyways. 

42 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It’s not just about that. It’s about making sure Haskins has the best chance to develop, even if we aren’t a playoff team. And it wouldn’t just be about 2020 anyways. 

Well, if it didn't require a 3rd or lower AND/OR he signed an extension then yes, but renting a guy during a rebuilding year at the cost of a high draft pick just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

On 9/14/2020 at 10:13 AM, RandyHolt said:

Mehgly

• Special teams - missed a FG and downed a punt when ineligible.

I didn't like that rule or call, for a couple reassons

1) It wasn't his fault or choice. He was pushed out of bounds

2) It doesn't even give the perpetrator an advantage in this case. In fact, it gives the player a disadvantage, to go out of bounds then come back in to down a punt, because you're actually forced to run further since it's much less of a straight line.

I think I understand the reasoning for the rule, but this scenario should be an exception, for the reasons state. Because the reasoning for the rule, is not relevant to this type of play.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I see we've reached the "Morgan Moses for the Hall Of Fame" portion of overreaction Tuesday.

RTs don’t go to the Hall of Fame. He had a few “hall of fame” blocks though.  

Go get some more, “Gold Jacket Moses”!!

Christian was bad, but you absolutely can't have pressure immediately up the middle like Wes Martin allowed. At this point, I'm looking on the streets for a vet and seeing who is available, maybe Donald Penn can play on the inside. If Charles ever comes back (what's going on with his injury?) I highly suggest moving him to LG. 

NFL Hot or Not: Washington stuns; same old Browns, Jets

WHAT'S HOT

• The first Sunday creates fools. Bloggers, bloviators and Fantasy Heads who spent the past three months inside an information vacuum are exposed as early results roll in from across the land. EXHIBIT A: The Washington Football Team. A summer's worth of dug-in takes over the inept nature of the roster became dust on Sunday, thanks to Ron Rivera. Washington's multi-hat-wearing coach is cut from something greater, cheering on his players after watching a 17-0 nightmare turn into a 27-17 win over the favored Eagles. Stories filter down from there: Rivera spending halftime hooked up to a precautionary IV to keep his struggle with cancer at bay while standing upright for hours along the sideline. Or second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins delivering a "ruckus" of a speech in the coach's place at the break, saying of the fawned-over Eagles: "There's no reason to be little bro to them." Finally, Riverboat Ron dialing up another post-epiphany lever-pull on offense: With the game notched at 17 apiece and WFT sitting at fourth-and-1 from Philly's 4-yard line, Washington's coach eschewed the gimme field goal for a 1-yard Peyton Barber rumble that set up the go-ahead touchdown two plays later. Rivera's defense did the rest, blasting away at a battered Eagles line en route to eight sacks of Carson Wentz. It was the kind of outing that would have made Rivera's old '85 Bears teammates proud -- and a fitting opener for an old-school-yet-enlightened coach who can single-handedly oversee a culture shift inside the building while putting the NFC East on notice.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-hot-or-not-washington-stuns-same-old-browns-jets

*I'm guessing someone already posted this article, but I really don't feel like checking so eff it...you get it twice, suckas lol...

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

No 2nd yr QB with Jones win rate is keeping their job. A QB with his win rate will give his team 3-4 wins putting the squad in position to draft his replacement.  A QB can not be the reason his team loses week in and week out and expect an organization to retain their services. Ask Winston how that works out. He might as well be sitting in the graveyard plot next to mine. (Zombie Pun)

Every other young QB, Haskins included, has shown the ability to elevate their team. Most of them don’t cost their team games with regularity. While it is unfair to expect a young signal caller to instantly awaken and carry his team to a winning record, you can not actively depth charge your team week in and week out.

If you want to say Jones looked good from the eye test OK. The stats do not support that however. Not counting that final drive that was purely padding against a prevent D, Jones stat line was 22/29 222 yds 1 td 2 int. Haskins stat line was 17/31 178 1td. Haskins is giving you 80% of Jones production without costing his team self-inflicted harm. It is very difficult for the Giants, or any team, to overcome QB play like Jones’ yesterday. One of those statlines at least gives you a chance to win a game. The other one takes you out of most games before you even get a chance to try.

This is the NFL. 32 D coordinators are getting paid to get a QB to fail. Just because TJ Watt baited Jones is a stupid throw does not mean it was not Jones fault. Every signal caller has to face these same pressures and its not a coincidence that some are able to avoid mistakes more than others.

Last week Haskins looked like a QB that willed his team to a win, even though he didn’t have his best game. He stayed engaged, supported his teammates, minimized his mistakes and powered through a very ugly early stretch where nothing went right. Jones looked like a liability that could not overcome a D-fence that was literally daring him to try.

Not that I disagree with you on Jones or Jones vs. Haskins... but doesn’t Haskins have virtually the same win rate right now?

Archived