Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

KDawg

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I didn't like that rule or call, for a couple reassons

1) It wasn't his fault or choice. He was pushed out of bounds

2) It doesn't even give the perpetrator an advantage in this case. In fact, it gives the player a disadvantage, to go out of bounds then come back in to down a punt, because you're actually forced to run further since it's much less of a straight line.

I think I understand the reasoning for the rule, but this scenario should be an exception, for the reasons state. Because the reasoning for the rule, is not relevant to this type of play.

I agree but figured it was called because the first time he went ran out bounds it on his own.... I think.  He was clearly pushed out the 2nd time.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gonna have to make a major investment there. It's funny, because 2-3 years ago it damn near felt like we were set for life

Sure are, I'm almost curious to see what Ismael has. Wes Martin just doesn't have it, he doesn't look like a starter, i'd say he's barely NFL caliber. 

31 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We should have paid Flowers, pisses me off thinking about it now. 

I agree, I am sure he was looking for some kind of pay day, but I really feel like this organization gave him a new lease on life by recognizing something in his skill set that had them moving him inside and he ended up being really good and then they just let him walk like it was all a dream?   Maybe he had no intention on staying here so it was out of the front office's hands, but if he was willing to stay......how could you let him walk with no offers considering THIS is what was waiting behind him?

48 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Christian was bad, but you absolutely can't have pressure immediately up the middle like Wes Martin allowed. At this point, I'm looking on the streets for a vet and seeing who is available, maybe Donald Penn can play on the inside. If Charles ever comes back (what's going on with his injury?) I highly suggest moving him to LG. 

If its any consolation, without much off-season work, Wes was going up against a helluva linemen. Low man wins and he just needs to learn.  Now he's got it on film plus he's going to be laughed at and grilled. Lets see how he does next game.

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Hope this halftime speech isn’t drawing eye-rolls from the veterans lol 

I respect the gumption, but.... 

He made some good throws throughout the second half with dudes in his face. The more credibility he earns, the less eyes will roll. (Some probably did roll, but it's better than Cousins making Tolkien reference to DeSean Jackson)

Rank

Washington Football Team
Washington Football Team
1-0

Previous rank: No. 31

The Football Team has arrived -- and its strength is a relentless pass rush that will be giving quarterbacks hell from now until the end of days. Washington had its way with the Eagles' beat-up offensive line, punishing Carson Wentz for eight sacks and forcing three turnovers in a 27-17 win. Chase Young, the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft, was a game-changer, finishing with four tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble as Washington wiped away a 17-point second-quarter deficit. It's unclear if this team will have enough offense to win consistently, but there's no doubt it has a defense that will keep it in -- and outright win -- games.

Philadelphia Eagles
0-1

Previous rank: No. 14

The opener played out like a slow-motion car crash. What started as a pleasant Sunday drive (17-0 lead) turned into a tangled mess of steel for the Eagles (27-17 loss), who have to be wondering -- respect to John Madden -- "Where'd that truck come from?" That 18-wheeler was the Washington pass rush, which trampled Carson Wentz for eight sacks and forced the quarterback into a host of ill-advised passes. (Wentz threw two picks and easily could have tossed five). Not every team has a front-seven push like Washington, but the Eagles have every reason to worry right now.

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I agree, I am sure he was looking for some kind of pay day, but I really feel like this organization gave him a new lease on life by recognizing something in his skill set that had them moving him inside and he ended up being really good and then they just let him walk like it was all a dream?   Maybe he had no intention on staying here so it was out of the front office's hands, but if he was willing to stay......how could you let him walk with no offers considering THIS is what was waiting behind him?

Wes Martin looks so easy to knock off balance, night and day compared to Flowers. Maybe it had something to do with Ron wanting his guys, but I felt like they should have looked a little deeper into our LG situation. Flowers is an above average starter and that is still MILES ahead of what Wes Martin is. Wes Martin received a 20.9 pass block rating on PFF. That has to be some kind of record. 

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not that I disagree with you on Jones or Jones vs. Haskins... but doesn’t Haskins have virtually the same win rate right now?

D Jones               3-10       .2307 Win%

D Haskins            3-5         .375 Win%

Excluding J. Burrow, I cant think of a current starting NFL QB anywhere close to Jones win rate. There are a lot of young signal callers with poor win %, its to be expected, but none of them (not Darnold, Mayfield, Haskins, Murry, Trubisky, Minshew, No current starting QB)  has a rate even close to D Jones.

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

D Jones               3-10       .2307 Win%

D Haskins            3-5         .375 Win%

Excluding J. Burrow, I cant think of a current starting NFL QB anywhere close to Jones win rate. There are a lot of young signal callers with poor win %, its to be expected, but none of them (not Darnold, Mayfield, Haskins, Murry, Trubisky, Minshew, No current starting QB)  has a rate even close to D Jones.

Thats what happens when you turn the ball over all the time and your team isn't good. 

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Next 4 giants games are bears, 49ers, rams, cowboys. If you like schadenfreude, your in the right place. That stat is going to get far worse before it gets better.

Yep, I totally agree. He reminds of a more mobile Eli Manning, and we all know Eli Manning wasn't the reason for his SB wins, their dominant DL was. 

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I see we've reached the "Morgan Moses for the Hall Of Fame" portion of overreaction Tuesday.

No, we're just amazed he didn't get called for one false start. Then again the refs didn't seem to be calling much, even when they should have. 

13 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Malik Jackson and Fletcher Cox combined for 3.5 tackles and that's it. I'm not sure why Martin is getting killed.

I’m with you. No doubt the left side was getting manhandled and I would love upgrades but as a unit, they peddled back in reasonable unison and gave DH 1 1/2 to 2 seconds. My goodness, we scored on 4 of 5 drives in the 2nd half and that didn’t happen by accident. It looked like the coaches knew there’d be little time to throw and game-planned for that. 

Yes, we need an upgrade at LT but I’d like to see if Martin improves if/when Charles replaces Christian. 

I saw the comment Kiem made about Christian lunging but to me his first kick step is to slow.  It’s been that way since he got here. I can’t believe Charles would be any worse and think he needs to get in there as soon as he’s healthy and get some much needed reps. 

9 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

He's the difference between finishing 7-9 and not making the playoffs and finishing 6-10 and not making the playoffs.

Totally worth the 3rd rounder.

Funny. But I see it like this:  

He's the difference between finishing 7-9 and not making the playoffs while having a healthy and steadily improving Dwayne Haskins and finishing 6-10 and not making the playoffs while Dwayne Haskins is in full traction at the hospital wondering if he’ll ever play again. 

nice thing about our OL situation for this season, we have three other tackles and potentially four other guards(including PS) if Christian and Martin don't step up

Of course the Eagles have a pretty decent DL themselves, so maybe they'll do better in other games

31 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You've probably seen this play before.

But probably not noticed these 2 oddities :

As a blocker, McLaurin dominates a DE twice his size for the duration of the whole play until he just tosses him to the ground, and

Franchised Player Scherff gets pancaked.

I hope a RT tackle can block a DB or LB one on one when pulling. 

1 hour ago, mbws said:

No, we're just amazed he didn't get called for one false start. Then again the refs didn't seem to be calling much, even when they should have. 

I noticed that Sunday and Monday. There wasn’t a lot of penalties called in any games. It was really nice.

44 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Funny. But I see it like this:  

He's the difference between finishing 7-9 and not making the playoffs while having a healthy and steadily improving Dwayne Haskins and finishing 6-10 and not making the playoffs while Dwayne Haskins is in full traction at the hospital wondering if he’ll ever play again. 

I didn’t know Allen Robinson was an entire Offensive Line. My mistake.

Archived