Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

KDawg

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

You can definitely tell the difference between a Rivera coached team and a Gruden coached team just by how they responded in the 2nd half.  

Right. I thought a lot of that was overblown. But Gruden made it a point to say it wasnt his job to motivate players because they are all professionals. While Rivera takes the complete opposite approach. Its interesting to see how it played out. Ill be curious to see how long it works. 

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It can not be stressed enough, even though it seems to be getting overlooked, but when a team has a 17-0 lead half way through the 2nd quarter and they can NOT run the ball to save their lives (their QBs life to be exact), it keeps you in the game and allows our insane rotation of Dlinemen to wear down a 38yo HoF caliber LT and a bunch of young guys and an undersized C and get more aggressive.

If they were able to run the ball better, we may not have been able to just unload on Wentz and get in their heads. We took that away and made them one dimensional.

Yep, because you could definitely see the Eagles come out in the 2nd half with the idea that they could bleed clock and ride the game out assuming Washington's offense was too anemic to mount any kind of comeback, but they could never establish any kind of running game sanz a random gain here and there.

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Right. I thought a lot of that was overblown. But Gruden made it a point to say it wasnt his job to motivate players because they are all professionals. While Rivera takes the complete opposite approach. Its interesting to see how it played out. Ill be curious to see how long it works. 

Technically he did leave it to the players to motivate themselves, but there definitely were some good adjustments.

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yep, because you could definitely see the Eagles come out in the 2nd half with the idea that they could bleed clock and ride the game out assuming Washington's offense was too anemic to mount any kind of comeback, but they could never establish any kind of running game sanz a random gain here and there.

I thought the Eagle's playcalling was unnecessarily aggressive.  They were waiting on the WFT to crack under pressure. 

I'm not saying the offense doesn't have problems because there are plenty and people have very legitimate concerns with what we saw today, but let's not lose all perspective here.

We did score 27 points and really should have been 30. 

Yes the defense put them in great position all day and yes we looked awful quite a bit throughout the whole game, but it could have been worse, we could have lost 17 to 3 and then we'd really have something to **** about. 

For all their faults they did come through and put the ball in the end zone 3 times and attempted 3 field goals (two of which were good).

For the first game of the year with an entirely new system in a crazy off-season with no pre-season thats not too bad actually. 

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Very good post here..completely agree...HUGE PROPS TO THE COACHES FOR ADJUSTING!!...with that said we got the eagles yesterday at there worst..I figured it was anyone's game but the way the team responded was epic

The hiring of Ron Rivera (which led to the hiring of Jack Del Rio) is the single (only) greatest thing that Dan Snyder has done since hiring back Joe Gibbs. RR brings league wide and instant credibility to the entire organization. He is highly regarded and has the players respect. While we've learned to not take too much out of week one, there is lots to be excited about with the nucleus we have on this coaching staff and roster. Add in an exciting new team name and players will want to come play for RR and with our young core group of players. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

1 hour ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

And there would have been a dumb Morgan Moses false start for good measure! ...  But yes, I agree - love the mentality this time to just keep at it on the ground that close to the goal line!

He had a couple close ones. He's definitely a beat early on some snaps, but it's not egregious. I find my eyes drawn to Moses at the snap on every obvious passing down.

Nice post from the op. But I am going to disagree on the OL performance. That Eagles DL is one of the best in the league. The OL held them to 2 sacks. The rushing yards look paltry but that is because we had such short fields in the second half. The OL opened up huge holes on both TD runs. Moses had a great game IMO. And while Christian gave up a sack fumble, he recovered it and also played serviceable the rest of the game. This OL is not a top 15 unit in this league for sure. But they played fine yesterday. 

Question: 

Does anyone know if the rookie Curl was put in because Apke was getting beat? 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Nice post from the op. But I am going to disagree on the OL performance. That Eagles DL is one of the best in the league. The OL held them to 2 sacks. The rushing yards look paltry but that is because we had such short fields in the second half. The OL opened up huge holes on both TD runs. Moses had a great game IMO. And while Christian gave up a sack fumble, he recovered it and also played serviceable the rest of the game. This OL is not a top 15 unit in this league for sure. But they played fine yesterday. 

Did Fletcher Cox even play for the Eagles yesterday? I don't remember seeing him out there at all.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Question: 

Does anyone know if the rookie Curl was put in because Apke was getting beat? 

Did Fletcher Cox even play for the Eagles yesterday? I don't remember seeing him out there at all.

According to what I just  looked up he had a grand total of: 2 tackles.

I am not sure if he was hurt or played limited stats or was just iced out by the O-line?

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They deserve credit for holding up against the players across from them, but if we’re honest, that front was decimated by injuries before and during the game. 

6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

They deserve credit for holding up against the players across from them, but if we’re honest, that front was decimated by injuries before and during the game. 

Not only that, but the Washington Professional Sports Football Team was trying to get the ball out of Haskins hands as quickly as humanly possible. Can’t get sacked when you do that.

What a win for the good guys. This was exactly what I hoped to see from this team... and the win was a beautiful bonus. I loved the Rivera and del rio signings and although the guys had a shortened preseason, I just wanted to see glimpses of a different team with an improved mindset; I wanted to see them get punched and punch back, be aggressive, stay aggressive, and just play like they actually wanted to win.

this game was for all of those who didn’t like the Rivera signing or wanted del rio fired... 

btw, absolutely love seeing Haskins becoming such a leader. Hearing that he gave a helluva half time speech and seeing him pumping up the D when the game was on the line.

still plenty of issues with this team, but I couldn’t be happier with what I saw yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

What a win for the good guys. This was exactly what I hoped to see from this team... and the win was a beautiful bonus. I loved the Rivera and del rio signings and although the guys had a shortened preseason, I just wanted to see glimpses of a different team with an improved mindset; I wanted to see them get punched and punch back, be aggressive, stay aggressive, and just play like they actually wanted to win.

this game was for all of those who didn’t like the Rivera signing or wanted del rio fired... 

btw, absolutely love seeing Haskins becoming such a leader. Hearing that he gave a helluva half time speech and seeing him pumping up the D when the game was on the line.

still plenty of issues with this team, but I couldn’t be happier with what I saw yesterday. 

The culture is damn good.

Let’s be honest. We played well but Philly also shot themselves in the foot a whole bunch of times. The dropped 4th down pass by Ertz, the overthrow to Reagor in the 4th when he had his man beat... we were also playing against a team decimated by injuries among their OL and their all-purpose RB.

i expect a reality check next week. We’re not this good.

45 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The hiring of Ron Rivera (which led to the hiring of Jack Del Rio) is the single (only) greatest thing that Dan Snyder has done since hiring back Joe Gibbs. RR brings league wide and instant credibility to the entire organization. He is highly regarded and has the players respect. While we've learned to not take too much out of week one, there is lots to be excited about with the nucleus we have on this coaching staff and roster. Add in an exciting new team name and players will want to come play for RR and with our young core group of players. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Good stuff man!!

Archived