Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

KDawg

As far as takeaways from this game, I am very excited about the d line.  There were also other areas of concern which have already been discussed.  We also have to keep in mind we were basically playing the eagles JV team, between their inactives and injuries during the course of the game.   The eagles team that was on the field was not a playoff caliber team.  We have a lot of work to do to be a team that is postseason worthy.

That being said, what a fun win!

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Just a dirty joke is all. 

I get that but I dont get the joke..I dont get it...

What does that make you think of when someone says.."I dont get it"?

It should make you think of the movie Big..with Tom Hanks..when there in the meeting and dude is giving his pitch and hanks says I dont get it and dude gets frustrated lol...sorry carry on lol..still buzzed about yesterday just all warm and fuzzy inside..feel like running out and giving everyone I see a hug...

6 minutes ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

And there would have been a dumb Morgan Moses false start for good measure! ...  But yes, I agree - love the mentality this time to just keep at it on the ground that close to the goal line!

With heads up positioning, Moses pushed his guy to the left tackle spot on that TD - it was cool to see.

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

As far as takeaways from this game, I am very excited about the d line.  There were also other areas of concern which have already been discussed.  We also have to keep in mind we were basically playing the eagles JV team, between their inactives and injuries during the course of the game.   The eagles team that was on the field was not a playoff caliber team.  We have a lot of work to do to be a team that is postseason worthy.

That being said, what a fun win!

Very good post here..completely agree...HUGE PROPS TO THE COACHES FOR ADJUSTING!!...with that said we got the eagles yesterday at there worst..I figured it was anyone's game but the way the team responded was epic

Chase and Payne are so freaking good against the run. It's amazing. I can't imagine anyone running on us. The pressure was great and a lot of it came from how fresh we can keep guys, because there is such a small drop off in talent from the best to the worst guy. Anderson was near the ball and ball carrier every play that he was in on. 

The Anderson, Iaonnidis, Payne, Sweat line was great. Iaon looks absolutely unblockable this year. He is a freaking bear.

5 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

get that but I dont get the joke..I dont get it...

The guy said we go 7 to 8 deep on the defensive line and that's huge.

So if our 8th defensive lineman were nicknamed balls then our defensive line would be going "balls deep" on our opponents.

Not that funny really and probably even less so if it doesn't land.

Victory covers up the stink of mistakes.  Good game for new coaching regime trying to get it done without the benefit of a preseason.  Biggest positives IMO - 1) coaches demonstrated an ability to adjust IN_GAME!; 2) coaches are putting players in position to succeed; 3) the DL shows signs that it will be elite (I understand that the Eagles OL wasn't a good test but still...).  This season is a transition year with the new players learning to buy in to the new way of doing things.  I'm optimistic because of the coaching staff rather than the performance of any particular players.  Haskins will have a year to prove whether or not he can get it done.  It's not fair to judge him after one game without having a preseason but Skins will know by the end of the season.  I can understand why the Skins tried to get a #1 WR and next offseason they will have to keep searching.  A #1 TE also is a must.  Until then we will see some creative packages but at least the keepers will have a year of experience under their belts.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The guy said we go 7 to 8 deep on the defensive line and that's huge.

So if our 8th defensive lineman were nicknamed balls then our defensive line would be going "balls deep" on our opponents.

Not that funny really and probably even less so if it doesn't land.

Lol..dodge ball lol...movie references going on..sorry man wasnt trying to be a smart ass or rude with the movie bit about big

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im enjoying walking around the office today asking people if they saw my Washingtons 

Cause they wanna talk ****, but they are afraid they Dline might hear them. 

Lol good for you man..flaunt that ****!!

Good

• Hurry up offense
  • Being able to rush 4 and get consistent and extreme pressure on Carson 'Dr Ben Dover' Wentz
  • Riverboat adjustments. Moving from our slow play run up the gut on first to hurry up, and pinning our corners on deep routes. May have moved the FS down to plug the mansucky hole in the center of the field, forcing passes out wide to our ball hawk corners. I think JDR got a game ball?

Bad

• 1st half offense. Unless RR was solely trying to see what Philly was doing by going vanilla, to then dissect (doubtful)
  • 1st half defense. That man sucky soft spot getting exploited hitting TEs at full speed uncovered. Apke vs their deep burners - we got lucky on overthrows.
  • Falling behind as much as we did - need to start games aggressively on both sides. e.g. open in hurry up

Mehgly

• OL - they survived vs a stout front. Watching Martin get thrown across the backfield was a yikes, and there were not many holes in the run game...
  • Special teams - missed a FG and downed a punt when ineligible.
  • Haskins had an unimpressive first half / start. Inaccurate, maybe some mechanics... late to slide / getting whacked - all offset by no turnovers/great speech. I wonder if that wasn't a coincidence that RR had himself scheduled for a Dr appt at halftime, almost to anoint/reinforce Haskins as a leader.

Chase Young's impact is not only in his own stat line but how it effects the entire D-line.  Going into this season it seemed like Kerrigan was on his last legs, Sweat was still mostly seen as unseen potential, and the Allen/Payne duo in the middle were solid but nowhere near what we had hoped they would be now.  Well, they just had 8 sacks in the season opener.  Yes, the Eagles O-line was banged up, but it wasn't like they had a few sacks, they had 8.  That is how a player the caliber of Chase Young affects the overall unit, and entire front seven's pass rush.  Almost every top defense has to have 1 if not 2 game changers.  They elevate everyone else around them the way a Top 5 QB does for the offense.  Chase Young is one of them.  With that said, the defense is still not a complete unit, the linebacking core leaves much to be desired, and I am still weary of how well these guys are going to defend the the pass on any play where the pass rush isn't getting home.

Week 1 is a tale of two things I expected, just not to the extremes I saw them.  The pass rush was a lot better than I expected them to be out of the gate once they got the dust cleared from that 1st quarter, however the offense overall was equally as disappointing in their inability to really find any kind of inconsistency in what they were doing.  I am still not sure the offense has an identity yet, where as the defense has seemingly already established what they want to, and will be eventually once they fill some holes. 

In 2020, at least for the time being, we are going to have to just accept the fact that this team's W/L column will be determined by how close the defense can keep things.  Can they generate turnovers, can they get off the field on 3rd down consistently. Can they help give the offense good starting field position?   In the games they can, there is a chance for the win, in games they can't, games could get ugly fast.  I know the 1st quarter was ugly, but that was a peek at what it will look like in games where the defense starts slow, or are schemed well by the opposing coordinator.   This team is not built right now to compete in games where Haskins has to go out there and answer the other team's scoring drives over and over.  

Sidebar on Haskins:  He needs to work on his mechanics still. He had passes sailing on him a lot, and he also is still throwing behind WRs.  His arm is way too strong to be not hitting WRs in stride on these slants and crossing routes.  There is really no excuse.  Hitting them in stride vs them having to stop and catch a ball across the opposite side of their body is the difference often times in a 4 yard gain and 14 yard gain.  You hit them in a spot where they never have to break stride and guys like McLaurin or Sims are off to the races, but if you throw behind them, they suddenly have to full stop to reach back and catch a ball and the offense is then walking off the field on 3rd down. Go watch how Kyle Shanahan schemes the offense up for Garoppolo in San Francisco.  It is a lot of west coast offense short passes that are designed to be quick throws that get a ton of YAC, but the reason why they work is because Jimmy G is good at hitting them in stride. He connected on a 5ish yard pass yesterday that was taken to the house.  We have a 2-3 WRs capable of doing that kind of thing, but they have to be thrown to in stride.  Haskins was a gamer out there yesterday after a slow start, but even when the offense got going he left a lot out there to work on.

It's amazing how much that game & the outcome affected my mood today (and yesterday).  Psychologically I'm not sure what that means, but I have dearly missed sports and had nearly forgotten how if feels to celebrate a win and the associated felling that go along with it.  Regardless of how the season plays out  we have hope and a future going forward from yesterday.  it's also amazing to have competent coaching and a leader.  Hell ya, feeling great today!!

4 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

It's amazing how much that game & the outcome affected my mood today (and yesterday).  Psychologically I'm not sure what that means but I have dearly missed sports and had nearly forgotten how if feels to celebrate a win and the associated felling that go along with it.  Regardless of how the season plays out  we have hope and a future going forward from yesterday.  it's also amazing to have competent coaching and a leader.  Hell ya, feeling great today!!

Good stuff here..completely agree!!

1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

I've hardly looked at the national news since watching the game. I feel far less tense, and my neighbor's yard sign didn't even get my middle finger this morning. Winning cures almost anything.

Alright alright alright...what is this yard sign you speak of lol

I have no idea what to make of the Washington Football Team going forward.  Outside of the fact that our guys up front on D should be a problem for the opposition every week.  What I do know is that is the most fun I've had watching the second half of a game since what seems like forever.

The offense sure seems like it's going to be an overall snoozefest, but if the defense can apply the same kind of pressure most weeks, it should at the least be fun to watch.  I expect opposing OC's to try and counter with lots of quick stuff to get the ball out of the QB's hands as fast as possible.  We shall see how the rest of our defense contends with that.

It can not be stressed enough, even though it seems to be getting overlooked, but when a team has a 17-0 lead half way through the 2nd quarter and they can NOT run the ball to save their lives (their QBs life to be exact), it keeps you in the game and allows our insane rotation of Dlinemen to wear down a 38yo HoF caliber LT and a bunch of young guys and an undersized C and get more aggressive.

If they were able to run the ball better, we may not have been able to just unload on Wentz and get in their heads. We took that away and made them one dimensional.

Yes, if the other team cannot run the ball in the second half our defense can wear them out and keep giving the ball back to the offense.  If you give our offense say

10-15 more times per game to score then are odds of scoring increase dramatically.  Last year, our defense stayed on the field it seemed like forever so when the offense

finally did get the ball there was super pressure on them to score because they could not count on the defense to stop the other team a second or third time in a row.

Archived