Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Eagles

KDawg

16 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Don’t sleep on Kendall Fuller.  He will make an impact when he gets healthy.  He has so much experience.  

He has a knack for clutch INTs during his first tenure in Washington. Hopefully he can get healthy and not have a lingering injury for the season.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am wondering some about the RB.  Barber had if I recall one of the worst YPAs in the NFL last year.  And Peterson today had a Peterson kind of game.  So I am not down on the RBs after one game but I admit I pause a little today about letting Peterson go.  I get the McKissic-Gibson hybrid offense idea.  But I wonder if Barber as a short yard type is really better than Peterson?

He isn't.  The only upside he really provides over AP is youth.  I was not particularly enthused that they picked him over AP.  But I thought there wouldn't be enough usage, but if Barber's gonna get 15-20 carries, AP coulda done that. 

They both had 17 touches today too.  And Barber being in was more predictable than AP, who had 3 catches today.

33 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

We don’t have much on offense but put up 27 points?  Ok Philly.

You can’t see how they came to that conclusion?

36 carries, 80 yards. 2.2ypc.

17/31, 178 yards passing. 
Sacked 3 times, fumbled once.

Our scoring drives:

5 plays, 45 yards

5 plays, 20 yards

5 plays, 26 yards (field goal)

13 plays, 48 yards

5 plays, 20 yards (field goal)

Our average scoring drive was:

6.6 plays, 31 yards.

The defensive turnovers were a very large reason we scored, not a prolific offense.

Their take is reasonable and fair. 

It doesn’t mean this offense can’t score... because they can. And did. But it sure as heck doesn’t mean we have a crazy offense.

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Our scoring drives:

5 plays, 45 yards

5 plays, 20 yards

13 plays, 48 yards

6.6 plays, 31 yards.

The defensive turnovers were a very large reason we scored, not a prolific offense.

It doesn’t mean this offense can’t score... because they can. And did. But it sure as heck doesn’t mean we have a crazy offense.

Yeah the offense was carried by the defense.  Defense set up just about every score.  8 sacks and multiple turnovers typically = rout. 

Can the offense ultimately rise to the occasion?  Sure, why not.  But I wasn't enamored by the offense today at all, at best "meh".   The defense though was fantastic. 

Not what I was hoping for schematically.  From local beatwriters talking, I had assumed far more misdirection, as well as something like Gibson goes in motion, Haskins sees D and audibles, shifts Gibson to slot, sends someone else in motion and then we exploit the D.

Didn't happen.  I don't think we really schemed up good looks.

I know the Eagles D-line is also pretty good, so maybe that's why our o-line faltered.

Logan Thomas I'm undecided on.  Some great plays, and some bad ones.  We'll find out.

Biggest takeaway, Wentz cost the Eagles that game.  Even during their 17-0 scoring spree, it was two great throws surrounded by a bunch of bad placement throws that he got bailed out from his good TE duo.  If it weren't for those TE's making plays and recovering from awkward catches, the Eagles offense would've been even worse.

Our LB group is meh, it could use an upgrade.  2021 is supposed to have two legit 1st round LB prospects.  So that's something to follow.

Curious what Sims can do when he's not lined up against Nickell Robey-Coleman.  Still thought the scheme would give him better looks, but apparently not.

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not what I was hoping for schematically.  From local beatwriters talking, I had assumed far more misdirection, as well as something like Gibson goes in motion, Haskins sees D and audibles, shifts Gibson to slot, sends someone else in motion and then we exploit the D.

Didn't happen.  I don't think we really schemed up good looks.

Agree, offense didn't seem to have all the razzle dazzle that reporters hyped.   On another note, I am watching the Cardinals right now.  Hopkins is having a career game, that team looks good, they are beating SF right now.  They aren't going to be an easy one next Sunday. 

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Don’t sleep on Kendall Fuller.  He will make an impact when he gets healthy.  He has so much experience.  He’s played on a Super Bowl winning team.  And he’s had great success here.

We don’t have much on offense but put up 27 points?  Ok Philly.

Watching Deandre Hopkins carve up the 49ers secondary, am hoping Fuller is back

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Whatever adjustments they made with Apke in the 2nd half worked. Kam Curl also stepped up big time for a 7th rounder. He had a GREAT open field tackle today. 

Yes he did..it was amazing

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Our scoring drives:

5 plays, 45 yards

5 plays, 20 yards

13 plays, 48 yards

6.6 plays, 31 yards.

The WFT started out slow but ultimately took advantage of a dinged up Eagles team.  That's what good teams do,.....right?

That was the most fun I've had watching a game (for our boys) since the RG3 Anomaly Year of 2012.  Watched it with my Mom and brothers -- twas a good day.  I'm enjoying the moment.

Gibson showed some flashes, but to be perfectly honest I have no idea what the coaches see in this RB group that made them think cutting AP was a good idea.  

Maybe there are still more things Gibson can do we haven't seen yet, specifically in the passing game, but to be honest, AP seemed to be pretty good catching passes in Washington when the opportunities came.  It was almost like people assumed he was no good at it just because it wasn't a large part of how he was used previously.

I am as happy as everyone else about this win, but if you came away thinking the offense is anywhere close to being able to compete week in & week out I am not sure what you were looking at.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Gibson showed some flashes, but to be perfectly honest I have no idea what the coaches see in this RB group that made them think cutting AP was a good idea.  

Maybe there are still more things Gibson can do we haven't seen yet, specifically in the passing game, but to be honest, AP seemed to be pretty good catching passes in Washington when the opportunities came.  It was almost like people assumed he was no good at it just because it wasn't a large part of how he was used previously.

I am as happy as everyone else about this win, but if you came away thinking the offense is anywhere close to being able to compete week in & week out I am not sure what you were looking at.

Just have to assume they have a plan.  In all fairness, the pre-snap offense looks less distinguishable with anyone but AP back there.  The scheme is built different, so maybe AP takes something away from it beside raw Week 1 stat line.  Hard to tell exactly after 1 game.

12 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I think Curl might be starting FS by the end of the year.

That means Apke failed.  Announcers pointed out he was holding neutral - flat footed allowing both of those routes to win.  Not sure what the coaches said to him but he played better.  Maybe just playing too tight early. 

2 hours ago, profusion said:

Not a great idea to overreact based on Week 1.

That said, Ron Rivera's impact on this organization is immediately apparent. This is not a game that Jay Gruden or Mike Shanahan would have won.

I won't restate what others have said. My take is that this team goes exactly as far as Haskins can develop this year. The defense will set the table for him. He's still very green, but his attitude and composure are well along even if his skill set isn't. It's unfortunate that he doesn't have much to lean on, though.

Curious, who do you think is overreacting here? I see, mostly aside from maybe one, grounded takes.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Our scoring drives:

5 plays, 45 yards

5 plays, 20 yards

13 plays, 48 yards

6.6 plays, 31 yards.

And every scoring drive started in Philly territory.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Halftime Adjustments. We made adjustments at the half. The team, for the most part, adjusted to Philly and gave themselves a chance to win the game. 

The secondary in coverage was really disappointing.

The offensive line. This is the biggest bad of the day. They aren't good as a unit. Their inability to run block or pass block means this team has to live on roll outs, quick hitters, outside runs and misdirection. Deep throws and inside runs are almost off the table. That puts this team is a box which is dangerous. Really disappointing. 

It's been years since this team made good halftime adjustments. This brought a big smile out for me!

Fullers return should make a big difference for the DB's which are a formidable group.

New the OL was going to be the biggest question mark on the team and they lived up to that. They better address this early and often next year...hello Sewell and at least one other solid interior starter

I did not like seeing Apke getting trucked on the Eagles first possession. Safetys have to tackle and  It definitely gave me pause if he is the future. Similarly, I was disappointed to see Wes Martin  skating backwards on out first possession. I had been rooting for Martin since draft day last year. 

I did not see the 2nd half coming. Holy Cow halftime adjustments were made and made effectively. If there was one factor that would be **** (4 star) worthy, I would have to congratulate the staff on letting our players play to there strengths.

Archived