Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It feels like this might be the “sit everybody” game and just get ready for Carolina. 

All of a sudden a lot of banged up players. 

Agreed.

Once it became evident that Alex needed another week to heal and we were stuck with Haskins starting old Riverboat elected to treat this game like a second bye resting anyone that was even slightly gimpy.

A win Sunday would be a welcome surprise but for the WFT the real season begins week 16— that’s when we push all the chips to the center of the table and go all in against two highly beatable teams, Carolina and Philly.

image.gif.4abc9e606ca0f4052de3f62194adab03.gif

Curious to hear from others something I’ve been giving thought to:

Is Alex Smith one of the best 1st down QBs in the NFL? Does he border on elite on this down? Is this a major factor in why he’s been effective as a starter? 

Is this even a thing in football circles, a QB being good on first down? I know there is a great deal discussion about early downs and the upper tier dual threat guys. For example, it’s widely known the Ravens are supremely dynamic on first down because of Jackson’s legs and play action, but can this be true for the pocket QB or mid to lower tier athletic/Pocket QBs? 

DH and Heinicke took the first team reps today according to 980. I am more concerned with Holcomb and AGs status. But Heinicke showed a reasonable calm and awareness in the pocket in this game. Not sure totally what he brings. But definitely will pull it down and run quicker than DH. Not a strong arm, but throws the ball with touch. Kind of fits the mold of today's smaller, quick mobile QB. 

11 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Heard on the news a short while ago that Rivera said that Alex would get the start if he's healthy.  Here's hoping he's ready to go on Sunday.  Haskins can get the start vs Philly if everything goes as planned on Sunday.

Alex will start if he's healthy...didn't we all already know that? lol...it's not like there was a QB controversy between starting him or Haskins.

11 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Heard on the news a short while ago that Rivera said that Alex would get the start if he's healthy.  Here's hoping he's ready to go on Sunday.  Haskins can get the start vs Philly if everything goes as planned on Sunday.

I would like to see the other two if we are locked in for division .  Keep Alex and Haskins on the bench.

57 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Alex will start if he's healthy...didn't we all already know that? lol...it's not like there was a QB controversy between starting him or Haskins.

Just hoping that Alex is good to go for Carolina.  I could care less about the Philly game if it's meaningless.

36 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’d be down for a battle of the mobile quarterbacks - Hurst v Montez.

It's funny and strange we or I haven't heard one single bleep about Montez in camp or practice all year, or one single photo or video of him throwing all year.

Not one report on the guy.

Makes me wonder how many reps he gets, as well as how ready the coaches think he is.

17 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

If the are Giants losing in a blowout then it might sway Ron's decision to possibly rest Alex one more week and if we win he can rest until playoffs. I would think the same would be done with Gibson. Both will be active in that case but they might not play much.

I disagree. Ron wants to embarrass the Panthers badly. His press conferences this week have been incredibly intense. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree. Ron wants to embarrass the Panthers badly. His press conferences this week have been incredibly intense. 

I think the health of his players in a playoff game would trump his desire for revenge. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's funny and strange we or I haven't heard one single bleep about Montez in camp or practice all year, or one single photo or video of him throwing all year.

Not one report on the guy.

Makes me wonder how many reps he gets, as well as how ready the coaches think he is.

Maybe they are keeping him top secret so he doesnt get scooped by another team. Wishful thinking probably.

10 minutes ago, justice98 said:

This whole episode screams that going into next season with Smith as the starter probably isn't a good idea, just for durability reasons.  Unless you just bank on playing Kyle Allen, or whomever. 

Yeah, maybe it’s a good idea to trade up for a rookie QB that can learn from smith, and start if, god forbid, smith gets another injury and has to miss a couple weeks. Plus, keep Kyle Allen around as insurance. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah, maybe it’s a good idea to trade up for a rookie QB that can learn from smith, and start if, god forbid, smith gets another injury and has to miss a couple weeks. Plus, keep Kyle Allen around as insurance. 

I think if you roll w/ Alex as the starter next year you expect him to give you 8 games and go 6-2. Maybe Kyle gets 4 and goes 2-2. So between Alex and Kyle you expect to go 8-4, the remaining 4 are played by either guy or a Rookie (Dwayne is good as gone). So realistically you're looking at a 9-12 win season and the chance to make something happen in the playoffs. It's not the worst approach in the world, especially considering our draft order & cap circumstances.

In a weird way, I hope smith can’t go and Haskins wins. Assuming the giants lose then we can rest smith til the playoffs AND Haskins can get some more reps against philly in a game where you probably rest Gibson’s toe and terry’s ankle. Then smith gets almost a full month to rest before the playoffs. This is the ideal scenario. I’m really worried about smith being ugly like against the 49ers because his leg isn’t right or even worse taking himself out for the season by pushing it. 

18 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

My fear is that if this scenario plays out.  Do you remember Robosack and the Music City Miricle? Flutie gets Buffalo to the playoffs in the 15th game, Rob Johnson gets the nod the next week in a meaningless game and kills it. Team owner forces Wade Phillips to start Robosack in the playoff game.  Yes, Flutie was older at the time and didn't really play a pretty game but he just won.

Archived