Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

2 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

He has enough money to have an awesome life never working again.  Smith can leverage his story into a great motivational speaker career (especially as he isn't a mumble mouth) or could get a good post-football career with NFL Network. He'd probably also get offered college coaching ops. So, he doesn't have to leave the game entirely  He has a wife who probably, at least in part, would love for him to hang it up. It is not a money thing keeping him from retiring, it is unfinished business and his love of playing.

Speaking of his wife, Finlay said today on air that in his podcast he grilled Alex for an answer about returning next season and said Alex wouldn't take the bait.  Alex said its something he needs to talk over with his wife in the off season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

I was calmer watching that than watching Alex trying to throw the ball while getting absolutely obliterated... 

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Totally negotiable!  We were having heart attacks all game, not just cause of Smith!  

Tell me you weren't about to have a heart attack when you saw Ben throw that deep ball in the 4th quarter to McCloud and Bostic was running at him, not turning around?  Dude, that was the most anxiety riddled game, you can't just say it was Smith giving heart attacks the whole time!

That game was throw back. It's a total shame the Conner was out and Gibson went down, because that was the 80's football that made me a lifer.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hoover-ball said:

Just watched the E60 "Project 11" again. They will need to do a follow up sequel. Let's make it a happy ending.

Simply impossible when you see the leg after the last debridement that he played yesterday the way he did. Mentally probably more impressive than physically.

I saw on twitter that ESPN is continuing to film his comeback. For some “part 2” or something like that. 

someone tweeted @ John Keim, asking: “Do you know if the ESPN Project 11 crew has been filming any additional "in season" footage to make a follow up documentary? The original was so well done, I would love to see more of Alex's comeback.”

keims response was yes. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Thanks 6

36 minutes ago, Hoover-ball said:

Just watched the E60 "Project 11" again. They will need to do a follow up sequel. Let's make it a happy ending.

Simply impossible when you see the leg after the last debridement that he played yesterday the way he did. Mentally probably more impressive than physically.

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I saw on twitter that ESPN is continuing to film his comeback. For some “part 2” or something like that. 
someone tweeted @ John Keim, asking: “Do you know if the ESPN Project 11 crew has been filming any additional "in season" footage to make a follow up documentary? The original was so well done, I would love to see more of Alex's comeback.”

keims response was yes. 

Yep.

Exactly my words, back in November :) ...

On 11/28/2020 at 12:02 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

I would expect, any point in the future, perhaps after Smith's NFL playing career is over, that they will make a sequel to his documentary.

His documentary really isn't complete, until it shows what he accomplished on an NFL field, AFTER all the stuff that happened in the original one.

Part II is definitely in order.

• Like 1

He really is a different guy without his wheels for me, but obviously a great story. Was hoping he’d threaten defenses more with down field throws, hopefully that’s to come. Without the ability to extend and hit big plays at times or run for crucial 3rd downs it will be helpful for him to make it up somewhere. 

A nugget could be him operating in 4 wide and empty sets to highlight his ability in the short game and increase tempo (mixing the tempo throughout at different times would be great—take advantage of his game management skills and maximize it). Thought Turner took too long to get to this I was happy to see it take place to end the half and in the second half. 

Edited by wit33

My gut tells me Alex will want to play again next year, but he'd want to enter the off-season as QB1, and have some assurance they're not going to draft somebody high and try and replace him next year, or try and give the job to Kyle Allen.  I think he will have accomplished everything he wanted to in his comeback, and I don't think he's a guy who will just hang on for the sake of hanging on.  If he thinks he's going to play, he'll want to come back.  If he thinks he's going back to the bench, he probably just says, "thanks, I'll take my money, bang my mad hot wife and play with my kids.  See y'all on the flip side."  

However, if there's the ability to start, I think he's such a competitor, he'll want to come back, especially given the fact Ron trusted him, and he's getting chemistry with the guys, and it looks like "the team won't be suck next year." (Thank you to the other Alex for that.)

I rather doubt Dwayne is in the equation for next year, and the WFT is not going to be in a position to draft one of the top QBs.  So my guess is they convince him to come back, they draft a second tier guy who they can develop and see if they can plug in down the road, and he comes back.  

The team does have to answer the Kyle Allen question.  I know they like him, but he's physically limited.  Alex has a MUCH better arm than Allen does.  I doubt they'd want to let him walk, and honestly I don't think there's a huge market for Kyle Allen either, so they probably bring him back on a reasonable deal. 

If Alex did retire, the side benefit of that would be an additional ~$13 million savings on the cap, I believe.  So, at the moment, it's kindof win-win.  If he comes back and plays like he's playing, he's probably the best QB the team can get their hands on easily.  If he leaves, Allen is probably your opening day starter, you have more cap room, and probably a shiny new rookie to develop.  

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

"the team won't be suck next year." (Thank you to the other Alex for that.)

👏👏😁

What do you think Kyle Allen's ceiling is? Is he future starter material or nah? I personally think Alex will be back next year. He can drive the car, and even if we draft a QB high I think Ron will want him to sit and learn behind Alex for a year or two. Coach won't want to repeat the same mistake with Dwayne. 

46 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My gut tells me Alex will want to play again next year, but he'd want to enter the off-season as QB1, and have some assurance they're not going to draft somebody high and try and replace him next year, or try and give the job to Kyle Allen.  I think he will have accomplished everything he wanted to in his comeback, and I don't think he's a guy who will just hang on for the sake of hanging on.  If he thinks he's going to play, he'll want to come back.  If he thinks he's going back to the bench, he probably just says, "thanks, I'll take my money, bang my mad hot wife and play with my kids.  See y'all on the flip side."  

Pure speculation obviously, but he sounds more like a dude that promised/told his wife, kids, and family he wanted to attempt a comeback, see what happens, then they all will make a collective decision in the off season. 

Would be shocked if he chooses to hang it up, no matter the circumstances he will not cause any friction or make demands, outside of the team pursuing a veteran QB like Newton or something. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

If the team makes the playoffs was the trade worth it for Alex Smith? 

Considering we got Fuller back anyway and Alex will likely have a better record in his first 16 full starts than this team has had in the past 30 years, not to mention his injury got Bruce and Jay fired, I can very confidently say yes the trade has been worth it. Even if we don't make the playoffs this year, but especially if we do.

35 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Not for me but because of bad luck as opposed to it being Alex's fault.  If he were healthy and they had a good run for years it would have been worth it for me but alas we will never know if that's what would have happened.  I know some say that what was happening in 2018 but i personally don't think so.  I saw that as a 6-4 team that could have easily been 5-5.  I think Alex has played better this year than 2018.  Plus i think the defense is a lot better in 2020 than it was in 2018 and its a better coached team now. 

The net of the contract at best thus far will be one playoff birth in 4 years.  We have arguably wasted a first round pick in part because of the injury.  We had 20 million plus dead cap for the previous two years for a dude who wasn't on the field.  The net of the trade has been a borderline disaster.  But again not his fault.  It's just bad luck.    So yeah no way would I do that trade all over again if I knew all of this would happen.   Again though its not Alex's fault its just happenstance.  And obviously the dude who had the real bad luck in the mix is Alex himself to say the least. 

For me to feel better about the trade they'd have to win a game in the playoffs.  Under Dan, a playoff win is our version of a SB.  We've snuck in the playoffs give or take every 4 years and get smoked.  So if we have one more run of that again, its nice, but not that novel.  However I can recall that playoff win eons ago in Tampa.  It was an ugly win but it still felt good.    So yeah if they win just one game in the playoffs (obviously get there first) I'd feel a lot better about the deal.  Because for WFT fans playoff wins are rare and by extension treasured.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Alex had a good start in 2018. Him being out for the rest of 2018 and 2019 arguably was the final straw in exposing the rot that had formed on the football side of the FO and coaching staff. So to recap the results of the trade if he makes the playoffs: (1) Playoff caliber QB who also happens to be the ultimate team player, (2) Playoff caliber CB that we traded is back on our team, (3) the entire FO is restructured.

It hurt like a root canal, but root canals are worth it.

At the time of the trade I pretty much saw Alex Smith as 2-3 more seasons of Kirk Cousins at QB, not in the sense that they play the same way, more of getting a game manager at QB that will sometimes look really good, but are not in that upper-elite level of QB that carries the offense over the finish line when needed.  I figured in the offseason of his 1st or 2nd year his replacement would be drafted, they would sit on the bench and learn and after Alex Smith's 3rd season on this team he would either re-negotiate and likely hand the reigns over to the draft pick or he would end up cut, depending on how close the coaches felt the draft pick was ready to being the starter.  Sort of like an abbreviated redux of his Kansas City tenure.

Fast forward to 2020 and if Smith maintains the level of play he is at right now I am assuming he will go into 2021 as the starter (if he chooses not to retire) unless the QB position on the roster changes drastically.  Even if we draft the next guy, I don't think they start on Day 1 and even if Haskins somehow is still here, I don't think he is going to take over the starting role from Smith by the time Week 1 of 2021 rolls around.  The conversation to be had this offseason is what to do with Haskins.  Rivera will have to make it clear to Snyder what he feels he can or can't do with Haskins.  The franchise can't afford to go another season of him just sort of hanging out in limbo unclear of their plans. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The net of the contract at best thus far will be one playoff birth in 4 years.  We have arguably wasted a first round pick in part because of the injury.  We had 20 million plus dead cap for the previous two years for a dude who wasn't on the field.  The net of the trade has been a borderline disaster.  But again not his fault.  It's just bad luck.    So yeah no way would I do that trade all over again if I knew all of this would happen.   Again though its not Alex's fault its just happenstance.  And obviously the dude who had the real bad luck in the mix is Alex himself to say the least. 

we still needed a QB for the future.  If Snyder is why we got Haskins and Haskins was available in the first where we picked with Alex Smith as our QB we would have picked him.  The QBs we got because of the injury are Sanchez, Johnson, Keenum and maybe Allen