Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Compare that to the rest. 

Seriously. This team has been extremely poor during his tenure here... unless he’s been the QB. 

It feels like you just don’t like the guy or something?

Pretty sure you and I were his only fans when he went down, despite being in first of the East and a winning team.  :ols:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It feels like you just don’t like the guy or something?

I don't like the fanbase overrating his tenure here for sure.  But I do like his pairing with Scott Turner and how the team has responded around him this year.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Pathethic.....That’s absurd....:rofl89:

0/8 on first downs in the first half.  The entire first half was nothing but 3 and outs and the failed 4th down conversion attempt.  The offense looked pathetic.  The pass to Cam Sims changed everything.  

I've always considering myself sort of an independent on the Alex point. :ols:     I've got hit from both people on both sides of the argument at different times -- those that love Alex more than i do and also hit by Alex's critics who aren't fans of the dude.  I like Alex.  I don't love him as a player.  I do love his intangibles do. 

I've learned its hard to bridge the gap between both sides because both of their points are true IMO, its just an issue of where you want to go with the team. 

The critics:

A. Alex is a game manager.  He does what he can to win but its really the other units that carry the team not him usually.

IMO, that's mostly true.

The ones who think he's the ticket:

B.  The game managers win and he brings something more than that.  You add his leadership skills and smarts then its no coincidence that they win with him.

IMO, that's true, too.

My take is that a dude like Alex brings the best out of a talented defense.   The ball control style keeps them rested.  The fact that he typically doesn't make mistakes doesn't put the defense in bad spots.  He keeps the guys on offense calm and on the right track. 

But yeah if the defense isn't on, they are typically in trouble.  He's not the modern day shoot out QB so to speak.    See the Atlanta and New Orleans games of 2018 -- the odds that Alex wins a shootout facing a more dynamic QB is low.    I do think there are limits to how far Alex can take a team, his playoff record isn't hot, and that point was the mantra of some media observers and fans from KC.   

At the same time, if this defense remains strong, and Alex plays like this it also just about guarantees a 10-6 record and a playoff birth.  Then that lends to another point.  Some would say if you catch some breaks in the playoffs, anything is possible.  Others will say you are going to face a top QB in the playoffs who will force a shootout and then you are toast.  I am closer to the later point than the former point.   But get both sides of it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't like the fanbase overrating his tenure here for sure.  But I do like his pairing with Scott Turner and how the team has responded around him this year.

0/8 on first downs in the first half.  The entire first half was nothing but 3 and outs and the failed 4th down conversion attempt.  The offense looked pathetic.  The pass to Cam Sims changed everything.  

No one is overrating anything. The guy has a winning record as this team’s QB in less than a full season. There have been 44 total games. Smith has under a full season worth of starts. He also has more wins than the entire rest of the games we’ve played. 

He wins games because of who he is. 

That’s not saying he’s the guy for 5 years. He’s not. That’s not saying the guy carries us to a Lombardi. That’s not likely. 

It is saying facts. We win more with him than without him.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure you and I were his only fans when he went down, despite being in first of the East and a winning team.  :ols:

Flash matters more than Ws to many. I don’t think Smith is the guy for more than another year, two max. And some of these wins are ugly. But they are wins. 

• Like 4

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

That's a huge difference from "all he does is win".  

You’re getting hung up in semantics. I think you are smart enough to know what people mean. They don’t mean he doesn’t ever lose... you’re a smart guy, you know that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You’re getting hung up in semantics. I think you are smart enough to know what people mean. They don’t mean he doesn’t ever lose... you’re a smart guy, you know that.

I know that.  I also know that he's playing differently this year than he did in 2018.  He turned into Rex Grossman for a 3-game spell and was a huge reason as to why we were even competitive in the 2nd Giants game.  

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Skinsinparadise  I don't know how you can say Smith won't win you a SB, when all the guy does is win games. No, I don't think he can carry a bad team like Peyton did for Indy, but if he had a complete team around him, I think he can.

We need to get Alex back next year. Allen too and draft at least one QB. I'd draft one later too, because that's a valuable QB room to grow in.

lol, its responding to these arguments that get me pegged by some as an Alex critic.  Even though there are people on this board who realy don't care for him -- me not among them.  I like Alex.  I've made the argument this year he's their best QB even before this got kick started and he would win games Haskins didn't.   But yeah I think there are limits to him.    And when I explain those limits I get dragged into a discussion where it looks like i am ripping him.  And I don't feel like ripping him.  Again I like him.  So to avoid that, I'll keep it simple:

I don't think this defense will for certain shut down every offense.  I think eventually you will face a hot QB who will have their way with our defense.  And when that happens ala Matt Ryan, Drew Brees in 2018, you won't keep pace.  Alex is 2-5 in the playoffs. If his W-L record is the be all and end all, it also applies to the post season to be consistent.   I don't think he's going to peak as a playoff QB at 36 going on 37.  Not impossible but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

I know that.  I also know that he's playing differently this year than he did in 2018.  He turned into Rex Grossman for a 3-game spell and was a huge reason as to why we were even competitive in the 2nd Giants game.  

I don’t disagree that he’s playing a different brand. But he also still has that same “take care of the ball” trait aside from one game. He limits turnovers, relies on open check downs and takes what’s given.

I don’t disagree that he’s playing a different brand. But he also still has that same “take care of the ball” trait aside from one game. He limits turnovers, relies on open check downs and takes what’s given.

But him slinging the ball (and turning it over) was the biggest reason we came back against the Giants (and lost).

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

But him slinging the ball (and turning it over) was the biggest reason we came back against the Giants (and lost).

He's been slinging it. The thing with Smith and this is true for his entire career, is that he takes what is there. He makes bad reads sometimes... Which he did against the Giants. He thought stuff was there when it wasn't and it caused turnovers. He's always been that guy. To me, and maybe I'm off here... He is allowing his "what's there" to be more contested than he used to. 

He made a few throws last night that were small windows to Logan Thomas especially. 

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

no doubt.  I don't think he's the dude to take you to a SB.  But good leader, tough, and does enough to help you win when everything else is clicking.  I still think his best game was the Detriot one.  the 2nd best was 2nd half of this one IMO.  If Haskins was the QB no way they'd have won yesterday IMO. 

I want a young QB.  Even if I bought that Alex is a SB caliber QB (I think he's playoff caliber which is good but want better) he's goiing to be 37 next year.  We don't even know that he wants to come back.  He hasn't said he intends to yet.  Part of me suspects if they make the playoffs he's more inclined to retire -- leaving on a high. 

Actually,I am thinking the opposite. Regardless of how we finish; I think Alex now would want to come back and play for a year; if he was the 21 starter.  Play a full season. Groom the future QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Actually,I am thinking the opposite. Regardless of how we finish; I think Alex now would want to come back and play for a year; if he was the 21 starter.  Play a full season. Groom the future QB.

That seems more of an argument for why we'd want him to return then why he'd want to return.   it just seems striking to me that Alex has yet to committ to return when he was asked.  You got me what he intends to do.  I think the wildcard is we don't know how much pain or not he's experiencing. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That seems more of an argument for why we'd want him to return then why he'd want to return.   it just seems striking to me that Alex has yet to committ to return when he was asked.  You got me what he intends to do.  I think the wildcard is we don't know how much pain or not he's experiencing. 

I was leaning retirement but now that the Team is mostly winning; I just have this feeling Alex would like to see what he can do with a full season. If Ron says Alex is the 21 starter; Alex will give likely come back for a final year.

Obviously, if he was physically not up to it; he would retire. Thing is, if he was experiencing pain; how is playing now?

I now think he has one final season in him. We draft QB somewhere in the draft and he grooms the kid for a year.

Kyle better be scouting those QBs that are late first round to 4th round.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I’d say the flow of the first half was totally derailed by the injury to Gibson along with some very poor individual errors on offense, defence and special teams.

Smith played average and his remit, based on the press conference, was to stay in the game for as long as possible. He did that, we won.

Statistically that was an incredible win. Steelers something like 78-1-1 at home when leading by 14.

I mean, nobody thinks Smith is the best QB in the league right now, but man, tough crowd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d say the flow of the first half was totally derailed by the injury to Gibson along with some very poor individual errors on offense, defence and special teams.

Smith played average and his remit, based on the press conference, was to stay in the game for as long as possible. He did that, we won.

Statistically that was an incredible win. Steelers something like 78-1-1 at home when leading by 14.

I mean, nobody thinks Smith is the best QB in the league right now, but man, tough crowd.

Also that first down that Logan Thomas had that we somehow lost the challenge on. Granted that's only one first, but that could have turned the tide on the third down conversion rate.

I've never seen a call blown that incredibly badly. Even the Rams interference call had a rules loophole to it if I remember correctly. I honestly can't understand the Thomas call. 

• Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

Also that first down that Logan Thomas had that we somehow lost the challenge on. Granted that's only one first, but that could have turned the tide on the third down conversion rate.

I've never seen a call blown that incredibly badly. Even the Rams interference call had a rules loophole to it if I remember correctly. I honestly can't understand the Thomas call. 

Yep that was shocking. Then the refs nearly screwed us over before the half with an incredibly generous spot for them. About a yard and a half out.

Thankfully the FG at the half felt like half a favour back off the refs :ols:

• Like 1

I've said it before, I'll say it again here.  

I believe there's an advanced metric yet to be uncovered that explains a guy like Alex Smith and how he can steer his team to victories despite not having gaudy passing stats.  In 20 years or so, they'll figure out this stat and we'll look back on his career with a lot more appreciation.

He played great last night and I'm still pissed at @KDawgfor not giving him 3 stars in his weekly thread.  Playing with a bloody leg and the sneaky veteran move of carrying the football off the field at the end of the first half so the refs would have to stop the clock are worth 1 star, come on dude.

This is a markedly better team with him at the helm.  McLaurin still gets his passes but I don't think Cam Sims is developing with anyone else on the roster at QB.  I don't think McKissic is producing like he is.  I don't think Logan Thomas is developing this way, either.

I'm all for Smith coming back in '21 and being the starter.  He's clearly lifting the offense up and helping our guys develop. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again here.  

I believe there's an advanced metric yet to be uncovered that explains a guy like Alex Smith and how he can steer his team to victories despite not having gaudy passing stats.  In 20 years or so, they'll figure out this stat and we'll look back on his career with a lot more appreciation.

He played great last night and I'm still pissed at @KDawgfor not giving him 3 stars in his weekly thread.  Playing with a bloody leg and the sneaky veteran move of carrying the football off the field at the end of the first half so the refs would have to stop the clock are worth 1 star, come on dude.

This is a markedly better team with him at the helm.  McLaurin still gets his passes but I don't think Cam Sims is developing with anyone else on the roster at QB.  I don't think McKissic is producing like he is.  I don't think Logan Thomas is developing this way, either.

I'm all for Smith coming back in '21 and being the starter.  He's clearly lifting the offense up and helping our guys develop. 

I told you, he gave me a heart attack and loses a star! Non-negotiable!

But I've been a Smith stan since he got here, so...

Just now, KDawg said:

I told you, he gave me a heart attack and loses a star! Non-negotiable!

But I've been a Smith stan since he got here, so...

Totally negotiable!  We were having heart attacks all game, not just cause of Smith!  

Tell me you weren't about to have a heart attack when you saw Ben throw that deep ball in the 4th quarter to McCloud and Bostic was running at him, not turning around?  Dude, that was the most anxiety riddled game, you can't just say it was Smith giving heart attacks the whole time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Totally negotiable!  We were having heart attacks all game, not just cause of Smith!  

Tell me you weren't about to have a heart attack when you saw Ben throw that deep ball in the 4th quarter to McCloud and Bostic was running at him, not turning around?  Dude, that was the most anxiety riddled game, you can't just say it was Smith giving heart attacks the whole time!

I was calmer watching that than watching Alex trying to throw the ball while getting absolutely obliterated... 

• Haha 1