Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He actually had really good numbers from that point on, until this week.

-78.3 rating, 39.8 QBR

-89.2 rating, 73 QBR

-83.1 rating, 31.2 QBR

-83.7 rating, 20.3 QBR

-92.3 rating, 41.3 QBR

On what planet are those really good numbers?  

I wonder if this is where Alex got the initial discomfort in the calf. Looks like he could've strained it a bit on that play. He didn't seem to throw the ball well after that. Probably fought his way through until it started to ache. Could be another play, but this one stood out for me. Another whiff by Logan btw. Could have chipped a bit better if that was his assignment but that's not the point.

This happened with 8 seconds left in the first quarter. Notice the hope after the throw and limp to the sideline. So for all intents and purposes, Alex was playing through the half with this. Could be wrong. We'll see if they allow Alex to speak this week. 

I suppose we will know relatively soon what the plan at QB is for Sunday, because if it is Haskins I know Rivera will want him having as much practice as possible to prepare.

As far as Smith goes, it is a tough call, do you let him play if he says he is OK?   Seattle on paper is the toughest remaining opponent. If I had to pick a game I think they will lose, it is that one, and honestly other than the normal disappointment you get from any loss, I don't think I would be all that worried over it.  Good chance the team loses to Seattle even with Alex Smith playing, so why not let him rest for a week and have him back to 100% for Carolina & Philly?

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If he can't go, then I assume we see Dwayne.  And Dwayne better be ready to go.  At least he'll get all the reps this week and they'll have a plan for him.

If Alex can't go, get Montez on the active roster. I am 100% serious. I have zero faith in Dwayne, not after nearly getting picked off throwing to a wide open receiver in crunch time. If Montez has to tuck it and run for half the game, so be it, but Dwayne gets a very short leash from me.

Sure, any qb would look better with better options. The problem here is Alex was a threat to run with the ball until he lost his leg. Now it’s check down or bust. He’s been bad all year. We are winning inspite of the lack of quality play at qb. These articles About how the wrs are getting the answers to the test when we are barely throwing the ball further than 5 yards are ridiculous. 

It’s one thing if he were protecting the ball or avoiding bad sacks. He’s doing none of that. An outstanding teammate, motivator, and inspiration. But his play has been suspect. 

2 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Sure, any qb would look better with better options.

It's not about simply having better options.

It's about the fact that we have the worst group of receivers.

We don't need all studs at that position.

If we just had some average receivers, it would make a huge difference.

Opposing teams just focus on taking out Terry, and that just leaves McKissic and Thomas, and neither of them are going to give you anything more than short to medium balls, and mostly short.

So that also explains the illusion of Alex being a Checkdown guy. That's all that he has to work with.

It's a reasonable deduction to expect Smith and his family to have deliberations in the off-season regarding retirement.  

He expressed personal reasoning for staging a comeback towards being a good example to his kids.  Check that box.

Some people misrepresent his age.  He's 36 DOB 5/7/84. That's 15 NFL seasons.  After coming back and taking a 2-7 team into 1st place and likely winning the division, why would he comeback for a 16th?  There's only 1 reason left and that would be that he'd return one last season for a Super Bowl run.  He'd have to believe that the team was going all in or it wouldn't be worth it. 

My hypothesis is a huge way for the offense to be average is Gibson and his power running out the Shotgun set softening the middle of the field and helping to create more room in the flats. Also, Wasn’t yet featured yet, but seemed to be on the cusp is Gibson’s pass catching ability that is critical for Smith to stay ahead of the chains.

Too much falling behind the chains in recent weeks. 

59 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So that also explains the illusion of Alex being a Checkdown guy. That's all that he has to work with.

It’s not an illusion. He’s not looking any further than 5 yards down the field. Doesn’t matter what our wrs are doing. If the running game is mia without Gibson, then we are completely done on offense behind the Alex smith game plan. It’s frustrating to see a 4 yard pass on a 3rd and 8 almost every time. 

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If Alex can't go, get Montez on the active roster. I am 100% serious. I have zero faith in Dwayne, not after nearly getting picked off throwing to a wide open receiver in crunch time. If Montez has to tuck it and run for half the game, so be it, but Dwayne gets a very short leash from me.

If Alex can't go, Montez or the other guy they just signed HAS to be on the active roster at the very least because they need a backup, and they don't have a 3rd string QB on the active roster.  

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's not about simply having better options.

It's about the fact that we have the worst group of receivers.

We don't need all studs at that position.

If we just had some average receivers, it would make a huge difference.

Opposing teams just focus on taking out Terry, and that just leaves McKissic and Thomas, and neither of them are going to give you anything more than short to medium balls, and mostly short.

I actually don't agree with this.  I think McLaurin is very special, and Logan Thomas has really come on.  JD out of the backfield is a good option.  What we lack is a true #2 and a slot guy.  

I wouldn't say they're all trash.  Need upgrades, sure.  But they're really not all bad.  

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I guarantee you Alex would have far better stats and QBR if we had a decent #2 WR.

Something more than a handful of UDFA's, Rookies, and Journeymen. Which is literally all that we have below Terry McLaurin.

I had high hopes for Harmon this year after how he finished last year but then got hurt in off-season.

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We need to sit Alex for Seattle.  Let him rest. We need him for the final 2 games.

I'm 50/50 on this.  With the way this team is clicking and the momentum they've got in addition to the NYG tiebreaker, we need to beat Seattle.  Part of me thinks we can't afford to get cute and rest guys for a playoff berth we haven't clinched yet.

Of the three games remaining, Seattle looks to be able to give us the biggest challenge while NYG has a harder schedule, we might be able to afford to drop one...I dunno, I see it both ways.  But quite frankly, I don't like seeing Philly getting ****y all of a sudden because Hurts provided a spark yesterday, either.  Can't take them for granted either.

I can’t rule anything out. But if you’re asking me if we beat Seattle with Haskins in at QB the answer is probably no.

Then tell me that Gibson is questionable, my answer shifts to definitely no.

Then tell me McLaurin is gimpy but he plays and it’s no ****ing way. I’d rather McLaurin was out than gimpy and on the field if Haskins is the QB.

“Why?”, you may ask... you may also add, “McLaurin is our best offensive weapon, on what planet is him being out good?”

Good questions. I heard you asking them to yourself. 

But the answer is simple: Haskins locks the **** on to McLaurin. Unless someone is wide open, and even then it’s iffy, he’s rifling the ball to Terry in every big situation. And if he’s healthy, I think Terry can bail Haskins out. If he’s beat up it becomes a real problem.

I'm starting to wonder if Alex's issue is more a malfunction of the device than any pain to his leg. If any of you have ever played football with a knee brace, you know that it can be uncomfortable and in some case a little painful if it loses its fit or is just not on properly. Alex looks perfectly fine as the trainers are working his leg. Any doctors (or guys that stayed at the Holiday inn last night) in the house know what's going on here?

3 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Please elaborate. Isn't traction therapy (using my closest Mike Tyson impression) spinal?

Spinal is just the more common or more "popular" application.

The concept can absolutely be executed on other bones and joints.

By definition, it's basically a manipulation of the skeletal system. And by using specificforce and joint movement on the ankle, it can help correct the connecting structure of the leg and it's bones and muscles, in simple terms

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Spinal is just the more common or more "popular" application.

The concept can absolutely be executed on other bones and joints.

By definition, it's basically a manipulation of the skeletal system. And by using specificforce and joint movement on the ankle, it can help correct the connecting structure of the leg and it's bones and muscles, in simple terms

Interesting.  A lot of us here think "John Riggins" when we hear "traction".

Archived