Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

I never saw it so I have no idea how much of a factor this really was, but I'd love to think that Alex has a more devious side to him.

http://www.theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/85019/Officials-erred-by-giving-Washington-extra-time-for-field-goal-before-halftime

Officials erred by giving Washington extra time for field goal before halftime

Washington QB Alex Smith appeared to pull off a tricky move before halftime of Monday night’s game against Pittsburgh that angered Steelers fans and helped lead to a key field goal before the break, Andy Nesbitt of USA Today reports.

With Washington having no time outs left, Smith was sacked in the final seconds and sprinted off the field so the field-goal unit could come on the field and get off an attempt before the whistle blew. The veteran QB, however, ran off the field with the ball so the officials had to stop the clock and set the ball down.

Washington then hit the field goal and went into halftime down 14-3. The Football Team then went on to rally for a stunning 23-17 victory.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Right now based on his contract,  how much would Alex's cap hit be in 2021?

Salary including workout bonus = 19m 

Prorated signing bonus hit = 5.4m

Total cap hit = 24.4m

If we release him, the cap hit drops to 10.8m being 2 years left on the signing bonus allocation of 5.4m per year for 2021 and 2022.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yesterday was the first lead change with Smith as the starting quarterback.  

Didn’t the lead change against the lions at one point too? I thought it did...might be wrong. 

i know for sure the lead changed against Dallas on thanksgiving...we were down 10-7 and then went up 14-10. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Compare that to the rest. 

Seriously. This team has been extremely poor during his tenure here... unless he’s been the QB. 

It feels like you just don’t like the guy or something?

Yeah he is just a hater who cannot see past his bias.

4 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

My God he's 9-5 as a starter.  He hasn't even started a full season's worth of games yet.  

Did you not see my above post? Smith is 7th in league history in win percentage. 7th. He has a better winning percentage than Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers. And is tied with Drew Brees. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even if I bought that Alex is a SB caliber QB (I think he's playoff caliber which is good but want better) he's goiing to be 37 next year.  We don't even know that he wants to come back.  He hasn't said he intends to yet.  Part of me suspects if they make the playoffs he's more inclined to retire -- leaving on a high. 

Dude's got 24 million reasons not to retire on a high this upcoming offseason, and 26 million reasons not to retire on a high the following offseason. He will be here through 2022 unless we cut him. Personally, I think he's our 2021 starter and active on gamedays in 2022.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Dude's got 24 million reasons not to retire on a high this upcoming offseason, and 26 million reasons not to retire on a high the following offseason. He will be here through 2022 unless we cut him. Personally, I think he's our 2021 starter and active on gamedays in 2022.

Maybe so.  He's already made a ton of money though.  It just struck me that twice he's been asked about coming back next season and twice he said he hasn't made up his mind.  He seems like an honest dude as opposed to a BSer so I am taking him at his word that he genuinely isn't sure yet. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe so.  He's already made a ton of money though.  It just struck me that twice he's been asked about coming back next season and twice he said he hasn't made up his mind.  He seems like an honest dude as opposed to a BSer so I am taking him at his word that he genuinely isn't sure yet. 

For sure. I'm just being glib. Although money does talk... having worked for & w/ billionaires in my finance days, they don't pass up opportunities to make an incremental $10-$20M even if it's a low percentage of their net worth. And these are much richer dudes than Alex.

Anyhow, I personally feel if he was getting slaughtered this season he might've decided to retire at the end of the year and cap off his Cinderella story with just even taking snaps again. But now that we're winning, I feel his inner competitor will make the decision to return easy. Especially if Ron gives the indication that this is his team next year, and they are expecting to contend.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Didn’t the lead change against the lions at one point too? I thought it did...might be wrong. 

i know for sure the lead changed against Dallas on thanksgiving...we were down 10-7 and then went up 14-10. 

I forgot about Dallas.  But no, we never had the lead in the Lions game.  

43 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Did you not see my above post? Smith is 7th in league history in win percentage. 7th. He has a better winning percentage than Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers. And is tied with Drew Brees. 

What about the post season?  

Since Alex Smith arrived in Washington, the team is 9-5 when he starts and 6-24 when he doesn't. It's not a coincidence. Smith has started 165 NFL games and faced every situation imaginable, from being called a bust early in his career to injuries to benchings and trades. And then he came back from a horrific leg injury that occurred two years ago. He's not a Pro Bowl quarterback, but he knows how to manage games and his presence helps the young players.

Smith's numbers aren't fantastic: In four starts, he ranks 24th among quarterbacks with a total QBR of 48.0. But his 1,001 passing yards rank 12th during this time. He has three touchdowns -- and only two picks. It's a position the team must address in the offseason -- draft another one? -- but Smith has stabilized the offense.

"He's a tough man," said Washington tight end Logan Thomas. "He never changes. He's always confident, excited. Earlier in the year when we were playing the Rams and things weren't going our way, he was the same. He's never too far up, never too far down."

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/40797/washington-football-team-on-a-roll-thanks-to-young-defensive-ends-alex-smith

• Like 2

Retirement would open the risk to him of us recouping nearly 11m of his signing bonus. The trade off being we save 19m in cash against his money due for payment in 2021.

Makes you wonder how much this return has taken out of him. For all we know, he could be enduring significant issues by playing. We’d never know that for sure. 

At this stage, I hope he takes us to the playoffs and want to stick around for another season. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Bottom Line : I am convinced, that with the right pieces, Smith can win a Super Bowl.

We've seen, you can absolutely win a Super Bowl with a QB of his quality.

QB's with less talent have won SB's

He kind of reminds me of the Trent Dilfer situation in Baltimore.  20 years ago he won a Super Bowl passing for 153 yards.  LOL

• Like 1

You guys knock Dilfer, but isnt he the last QB to win 20 games in a row.  Living near Baltimore, I remember many Ravens fans wished he was still their QB the following season when their free agent shiny QB racked up stats but not wins.

I have maintained for years now that Smith is our Dilfer, and that is a compliment. All he does is win. It is impressive because he does it with whatever parts are around him. Given our record without him, I think he is a winner and makes the team around him better.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Smith is better than Dilfer, and he's better than 153 yards a game.

He's averaging more than double that, in his starts this year :)

Sure, I was making more of a reference to him being an average talent with a great defense and the fact that you don't need a bazillion yards from your QB to win a SB.  🙂

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I feel like we might try to renegotiate that contract.  That contract was always made to be voided after this year

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He has enough money to have an awesome life never working again.  Smith can leverage his story into a great motivational speaker career (especially as he isn't a mumble mouth) or could get a good post-football career with NFL Network. He'd probably also get offered college coaching ops. So, he doesn't have to leave the game entirely  He has a wife who probably, at least in part, would love for him to hang it up. It is not a money thing keeping him from retiring, it is unfinished business and his love of playing.

• Like 1