Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

14 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If Alex was a full participant in practice today, he's going. Might as well keep Carolina on their toes until gameday. 

I don't believe that "full participant" necessarily means he was playing at his best level though.

I think "full participant" means just that. He participated in everything. But that's not to say, necessarily that he played to the level he is capable of playing.

In addition, they said that it was Dwayne that worked with the 1's.

That said, I will take Alex at 80%.

At least put him out there and see if an 80% Alex is good enough to win. If not, trot out Dwayne mid-way as a last resort.

Or the other way around. If you start Dwayne and he's stinkin up the joint ; Then what do you have to lose by sticking Alex in there ?

53 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't believe that "full participant" necessarily means he was playing at his best level though.

I think "full participant" means just that. He participated in everything. But that's not to say, necessarily that he played to the level he is capable of playing.

At least put him out there and see if an 80% Alex is good enough to win. If not, trot out Dwayne mid-way as a last resort.

Or the other way around. If you start Dwayne and he's stinkin up the joint ; Then what do you have to lose by sticking Alex in there ?

Why is Dwayne participating at all? Shouldn't he be in quarantine right now? 

30 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Why is Dwayne participating at all? Shouldn't he be in quarantine right now? 

25 minutes ago, zskins said:

This was covered in the Haskins thread. He is negative. He is being tested twice a day. He is wearing a mask and a shield under this helmet. 

Yep, he's been given the go ahead to practice, and the main restriction is he can't attend team meetings in person, and must do so through Zoom.

Even I have difficulty making sense of it. Because what is he going to do during Halftime of the game ? Run to a room and get on Zoom ?

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yep, he's been given the go ahead to practice, and the main restriction is he can't attend team meetings in person, and must do so through Zoom.

Even I have difficulty making sense of it. Because what is he going to do during Halftime of the game ? Run to a room and get on Zoom ?

The restriction were put in place to make sure he doesn't have any symptoms leading up to the game. Also to make other players feel more comfortable as well. IF still negative then he can play full contact sport on Sunday. Zoom is not needed at halftime. ;)

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is not right.. Alex took most reps with the 1s today. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/25/alex-smith-terry-mclaurin-carolina-status/

2 minutes ago, Crowbarman said:

This is not right.. Alex took most reps with the 1s today. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/25/alex-smith-terry-mclaurin-carolina-status/

I must have been looking at the previous day, because I know as recently as yesterday Haskins was the one mainly working with 1's

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I must have been looking at the previous day, because I know as recently as yesterday Haskins was the one mainly working with 1's

Yeah a little hard to keep straight. 

Still barring a setback it seems like he's going to go. 

Smith should play if he's not worse after that practice session.  Not sure how cold it will be on Sunday?  Concern would be that the trainers get him loose and warmed up, then it tightens up after the game gets going.  He could easily tighten up and have a setback.  This is exactly why your medical and training team are so important.  If they can get him comfortable then the Offense can produce without McLovin.  Should have both AG and McKissic to increase the targets for Smith distributing the ball to the best option. 

I think there is certainly a home-field advantage to this, in at least this facet ; not having to travel, and also thereby giving that much more extra time, before game-time, to get personalized and "custom therapy". And all of that instead of sitting motionless in an airplane or bus, where blood clots in legs are most common, due to the restriction of circulation.

11 hours ago, zskins said:

This was covered in the Haskins thread. He is negative. He is being tested twice a day. He is wearing a mask and a shield under this helmet. 

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

11 hours ago, zskins said:

The restriction were put in place to make sure he doesn't have any symptoms leading up to the game. Also to make other players feel more comfortable as well. IF still negative then he can play full contact sport on Sunday. Zoom is not needed at halftime. ;)

He can’t attend meetings where he could space out, but he can certainly practice with people much closer to players than he would be in a classroom. 

Does no one else see how strange some of these rules are?

And as also covered in the Haskins thread, but according the CDC, you can test negative and still pass it along.  

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He can’t attend meetings where he could space out, but he can certainly practice with people much closer to players than he would be in a classroom. 

And as also covered in the Haskins thread, but according the CDC, you can test negative and still pass it along.  

The combination of him wearing a mask and a screen too and the fellow players wearing masks and him testing negative and testing twice a day -- I think makes a transmission here big time remote.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The combination of him wearing a mask and a screen too and the fellow players wearing masks and him testing negative and testing twice a day -- I think makes a transmission here big time remote.

I don’t think that’s correct, to be honest. He’s touching a ball and throwing it to other players. If he rubs his eye or any other natural, unthinking move, he is essentially allowing it to spread.

They (I don’t know who the hell they are for what it’s worth) are saying it’s harder to spread outdoors. And I definitely understand that... But this whole thing has gone against every protocol I’ve seen in regards to this stuff. 

It doesn’t make sense.

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think that’s correct, to be honest. He’s touching a ball and throwing it to other players. If he rubs his eye or any other natural, unthinking move, he is essentially allowing it to spread.

They (I don’t know who the hell they are for what it’s worth) are saying it’s harder to spread outdoors. And I definitely understand that... But this whole thing has gone against every protocol I’ve seen in regards to this stuff. 

It doesn’t make sense.

By my count by the time he gets through practice today he would have passed 11 COVID tests.   Much harder from what I've read multiple times to pass it surface to surface then it is otherwise.  Mask and a screen over his helmet.  Other players wearing masks.  They've mostly practiced out doors.  Pretty rigorous. 

I know like me you are a big Rivera guy.  I've read a lot about how he's dealing with his health situation.  I just don't buy that he's gotten reckless or stupid with COVID-19.   I get your concern, its better to have no risk than a tiny risk but I think they are going to be OK.  Will see.  If it blows up the WFT will look very foolish.   But I seriously doubt it blows up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/health/cdc-coronavirus-touching-surfaces.htm

Surfaces Are ‘Not the Main Way’ Coronavirus Spreads, C.D.C. Says

The virus spreads mainly from person to person, rather than via contaminated surfaces, according to the C.D.C....

The coronavirus is thought to spread mainly from one person to another, typically through droplets when an infected person sneezes, coughs or talks at close range — even if that person is not showing symptoms.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

KDawg wrote: “And as also covered in the Haskins thread, but according the CDC, you can test negative and still pass it along.”

That is sobering news. I knew that you could be asymptomatic and still transmit covid-19 but I had no idea that you could actually test negative and still be infecting others with the virus.

I guess this means that the minimum viral load necessary to accurately detect the presence of the virus in a subject is higher than the minimum viral load a subject needs to infect others.

7 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

KDawg wrote: “And as also covered in the Haskins thread, but according the CDC, you can test negative and still pass it along.”

That is sobering news. I knew that you could be asymptomatic and still transmit covid-19 but I had no idea that you could actually test negative and still be infecting others with the virus.

I guess this means that the minimum viral load necessary to accurately detect the presence of the virus in a subject is higher than the minimum viral load a subject needs to infect others.

It’s possible that I misunderstood the CDC quote. I am better with football than diseases. 

Archived