Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:
1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Thanks for 2020 Alex; please retire after your final game.  

I actually agree right now. Let’s move on.

I would be surprised if Smith retires.

The difference would be that they would strike a mutually beneficial retirement settlement.  Smith has played the injury situation to the maximum financially beneficial result and isn't going to stop at this point.  It doesn't benefit him to flat retire with over $50M still on the table.  If he just shows up and works out he'll make $24.4M and he can say his leg hurts and hold a clipboard 'mentorng' the whole year.  If he is released he'll get $16M in guarantees.  So, clearly he's NOT retiring without an agreement.  WFT can release him and take a $10.4M dead cap hit in 2021 and $5.4M hit in 2022.  So, if they get a vet QB in a trade or FA it will be because Smith wanted to retire and they reached a settlement where he gets that $16M. 

Smith could surprise me once again and get stronger in the off-season and comeback for a 16th season to try and win a title. 

28 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

The difference would be that they would strike a mutually beneficial retirement settlement.  Smith has played the injury situation to the maximum financially beneficial result and isn't going to stop at this point.  It doesn't benefit him to flat retire with over $50M still on the table.  If he just shows up and works out he'll make $24.4M and he can say his leg hurts and hold a clipboard 'mentorng' the whole year.  If he is released he'll get $16M in guarantees.  So, clearly he's NOT retiring without an agreement.  WFT can release him and take a $10.4M dead cap hit in 2021 and $5.4M hit in 2022.  So, if they get a vet QB in a trade or FA it will be because Smith wanted to retire and they reached a settlement where he gets that $16M. 

Smith could surprise me once again and get stronger in the off-season and comeback for a 16th season to try and win a title. 

Thing is, Smith probably can't play a full season.  We are already seeing that this year.   His body can no longer handle the rigors of the NFL,  He's made plenty of money. I think he retires and we don't need some sort of deal to get him to retire.  Plus, he will also make millions; when his story is made into a movie.  

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Thanks for 2020 Alex; please retire after your final game.  

Ha, ha....I love this. 

No doubt Disney makes a movie about Alex and his comeback, similar to the baseball movie the Rookie with Dennis Quaid. One more win from Alex and the movie script is complete.

35 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Thing is, Smith probably can't play a full season.  We are already seeing that this year.   His body can no longer handle the rigors of the NFL,  He's made plenty of money. I think he retires and we don't need some sort of deal to get him to retire.  Plus, he will also make millions; when his story is made into a movie.  

Reports came out in late November that the coaching staff wants Alex to return in 2021???? Not sure if that remains the case but if he still wants to play we may see him again next year, in uniform, under center!!!! I cut and pasted it here.....

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, head coach Ron Rivera and his staff want Smith back for the 2021 season. Smith will make $19 million next season and is under contract until 2022, though he has not yet publicly committed to returning next season.Nov 26, 2020

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Well, i guess tomorrow starts the week of practice and injury reports that I’m sure we’ll all be keeping a close eye on for smiths status for Sunday night. 

And I won't believe a thing about starter/injury status/projections until gametime, because last week they had us believing Smith would play, all the way up until Friday

Well I assume if there is any chance of Smith being out, they are going to want TH getting as many reps with the starters as possible.  The last thing you want is for Alex to practice all week as if he is starting and then on Friday they decide his calf is too tender.   

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

...NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, head coach Ron Rivera and his staff want Smith back for the 2021 season. Smith will make $19 million next season and is under contract until 2022, though he has not yet publicly committed to returning next season.Nov 26, 2020

As you suggest, the facts most certainly have changed.

Since the date that article was written the fragility of Alex’s health has altered our once lofty ambitions from the question of how many glorious seasons he will play to whether or not he will be able to effectively play any more games at all.

That’s just harsh unvarnished reality, straight with no chaser.

11 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

As you suggest, the facts most certainly have changed.

Since the date that article was written the fragility of Alex’s health has altered our once lofty ambitions from the question of how many glorious seasons he will play to whether or not he will be able to effectively play any more games at all.

That’s just harsh unvarnished reality, straight with no chaser.

Yeah the calf strain really threw cold water on our hopes of him returning next year. It seems like he's just totally done. Now maybe the docs know something we don't about how to strengthen his half-a-calf-muscle to withstand an NFL workload, but it doesn't seem like it. Maybe one of our resident docs can weigh in?

8 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah it’s a tough one to call. He’s had an incredible journey back to playing football. What we don’t know is the physical and mental strain that has put on him this season. Once he’s achieved that goal of playing again, it’s difficult to tell what toll the actual reality of playing has taken. I reckon that is greater than people think.

From a team perspective, it seems irresponsible to think he could be our starter for the full 2021 season. He’s getting a good wedge just to be a backup, rotational player, or mentor. 

People always doubting Alex Smith and he has always proved you wrong.

No way he retires unless we win the SB this year with him at the helm not that I believe that is possible.

He will be back and yes it will be hard to imagine him lasting a full year. Not hard to imagine him mentoring a rook.

16 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I heard on the radio that Smith is under contract next 2 years but the money is no longer guaranteed. My understanding is that we can cut him and not owe him any money and there is no cap hit. Is what I heard true? Thanks, HNY.

4 hours ago, carex said:

what happens with contracts when someone retires?  Is it functionally the same as being cut?

3 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

Same as being cut. Cutting him in 21 would cost $10.8M. I think the team can afford it. 

Alex is a nice guy but he’s not dumb. He’s not walking away from ~$20M if he’s mostly healthy. 

All of the dead money on their contract counts against the current year's salary cap. As far as the salary cap goes, retirement is treated the same as if a player were cut or traded.

But by 'functionally', it depends on what you mean. Financially maybe. But not in player rights , which is pretty functional ;) 

When a player retires, the same team retains his rights through the rest of the contract, if he decides to return. But of course, not if he is cut.

Archived