Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

By my count by the time he gets through practice today he would have passed 11 COVID tests.   Much harder from what I've read multiple times to pass it surface to surface then it is otherwise.  Mask and a screen over his helmet.  Other players wearing masks.  They've mostly practiced out doors.  Pretty rigorous. 

I know like me you are a big Rivera guy.  I've read a lot about how he's dealing with his health situation.  I just don't buy that he's gotten reckless or stupid with COVID-19.   I get your concern, its better to have no risk than a tiny risk but I think they are going to be OK.  Will see.  If it blows up the WFT will look very foolish.   But I seriously doubt it blows up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/health/cdc-coronavirus-touching-surfaces.htm

Surfaces Are ‘Not the Main Way’ Coronavirus Spreads, C.D.C. Says

The virus spreads mainly from person to person, rather than via contaminated surfaces, according to the C.D.C....

The coronavirus is thought to spread mainly from one person to another, typically through droplets when an infected person sneezes, coughs or talks at close range — even if that person is not showing symptoms.

Sorry, we’re just not on the same page here I guess. It’s a risk anyways because we don’t know what each player is doing, and unless someone calls them out for it there may be others doing it. When someone intentionally violates protocols, loses their captaincy and is fined $40K there is admitted wrong doing. 

We know he could have been exposed and were allowing him to practice. The League isn’t any better, in my opinion.

He should have been COVID listed for the 10 day window. 

I agree it’s not likely he has it. That part is true. But there is a responsibility to everyone to not allow someone who willfully and admitted violates protocols around the team when they may have been exposed. It seems like preferential treatment. 

The Rockets even made Harden quarantine for four days prior to a return to the facilities. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Rockets even made Harden quarantine for four days prior to a return to the facilities. 

The NBA took this stuff much more seriously than the NFL does for sure. 

But what it sounds like you disagree with ultimately is the Redskins accepting the risk. Is that right? 

Just now, Llevron said:

The NBA took this stuff much more seriously than the NFL does for sure. 

But what it sounds like you disagree with ultimately is the Redskins accepting the risk. Is that right? 

The irresponsibility of accepting the risk. Yes.

You have to admit, Rivera has used the phrase ‘abundance of caution’ on more than one occasion this season. 

Bottom line, the division is on the line, it’s all about the win. I’m sure we are not violating any league protocols but I think there is a subtle change in mindset given the magnitude of the game. That’s how I’d interpret things.

My sense right now is that Alex & Gibson both start, but McLaurin will not play.   Will Alex & Gibson both play the entire game though? I am not so sure.  Best case scenario would be the team comes out of the gate on fire and gets up big, allowing some guys to rest, but that is way too wishful thinking with the way the offense has been this season.

Bottomline is I think Week 16 is best opportunity to take the division being that the Giants have to play the Ravens.  The situation is just that much more favorable to get the job done tomorrow, and be able to give the extra rest to any and all players needing it for a Wild Card round playoff game.

Maybe his injury is just being automatically magnified and automatically correlated to his pre-existing condition, since everyone was so doubtful about him.

Maybe it's unrelated, and it would have happened to him anyway, or whoever was playing QB.

I mean, it's not that uncommon for a QB to have an injury i the NFL, that keeps him out 2-3 weeks.

Let's not assume that because of this and because of his history, that he's on a non-stop downward spiral.

Maybe he fully recovers from this.

I don't think we can truly judge his ability by that practice video.

What appears as Alex seemingly limited in movement, may actually and simply be Alex just intentionally holding back, and saving his intensity for the games.

Remember, Alex has been playing at a high level for over a decade, and is practically a mental genius at the game especially through repetition ; so he could probably do a lot of these practice drills in his sleep.

Unless he's clearly limping or something like that, be careful not to read too much into a practice drill.

That's almost like looking at Bostic in that drill in the video, and saying "Something isn't right with his health because he's not giving 100%", when he's obviously holding back intentionally.

Another example, is when his family was uncorking champagne on him in his front yard, when celebrating his medical clearance, and he was judged by how gingerly he avoided the champagne while wearing flip-flops, months and months ago, and some observers looked at and said "He'll NEVER play another down again"

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig said earlier watch out for Montez being active as a sign that Alex might not play...

Or maybe it means that Smith WILL play, and Montez has simply surpassed Haskins on the depth chart, due to how they look in practice.

But that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I bet you, if we had a preseason, Montez would be starting Sunday...and it wouldn't be the first time he played this year.

Again...probably just wishful thinking. 😀

Similarly - Inman being cut, could mean AGG has looked great in practice.

Wishful thinking maybe :)

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

My sense right now is that Alex & Gibson both start, but McLaurin will not play.   Will Alex & Gibson both play the entire game though? I am not so sure.  Best case scenario would be the team comes out of the gate on fire and gets up big, allowing some guys to rest, but that is way too wishful thinking with the way the offense has been this season.

Bottomline is I think Week 16 is best opportunity to take the division being that the Giants have to play the Ravens.  The situation is just that much more favorable to get the job done tomorrow, and be able to give the extra rest to any and all players needing it for a Wild Card round playoff game.

This is how I see it as well. IMO the fans are over confident. Even if Alex plays it's not like he's be lighting it up, now he is injured and will be limited and without his only legit WR.  Then we have Philly who is revitalized with the play of their young QB. This is far from a done deal that we win a game.  

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is how I see it as well. IMO the fans are over confident. Even if Alex plays it's not like he's be lighting it up, now he is injured and will be limited and without his only legit WR.  Then we have Philly who is revitalized with the play of their young QB. This is far from a done deal that we win a game.  

Oh, I think we’re underdogs for sure.  Unless the defense dominates, or if Carolina wants to tank (go Bengals!)

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The coaches film from last week clearly shows that Smith's experience in identifying presnap reads and decisive progressions should have yielded a win vs Haskins weaknesses and football immaturity.  It's clear cut. 

It's likely a W if Smith plays.  Past that, it will be a roller coaster heart attack game when Haskins faults liter the screen.  

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

The coaches film from last week clearly shows that Smith's experience in identifying presnap reads and decisive progressions should have yielded a win vs Haskins weaknesses and football immaturity.  It's clear cut. 

It's likely a W if Smith plays.  Past that, it will be a roller coaster heart attack game when Haskins faults liter the screen.  

Alex Smith should start the game.  It'll be a challenge to keep the strain from tightening in cold weather. 

27 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

17 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Oh, I think we’re underdogs for sure.  Unless the defense dominates, or if Carolina wants to tank (go Bengals!)

Carolina is a pretty good team and better than their record, but remember, they are actually hurting worse than us, in the injury aspect.

For every advantage they get from a starter of ours being out, remember it's going to work in reverse.

They're not hurting at all the same positions - but key positions with a few of their best players.

Archived