Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity


Recommended Posts

I think we are pretty much at the point where Smith is nailed on to return next season. I’m not convinced we want to eat a 19mil salary, but as previous articles suggest, that’s  top 12-15 QB money. He may fall inside that bracket, possibly slightly lower, don’t know, but it’s likely a marginal overpayment we’ll just accept in the main.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Sooooo Alex is now, what... 8-4 as a starter w/ Washington? Something like that?

 

I mean don't look now, but crazy circumstances notwithstanding, Alex could end up going 10-6 in his first 16 starts as a WFTeamer. I'll take that as a starter next year w/ a young guy or two learning behind him.

 

I can ride with Alex next year.  Sadly though I think almost zero shot now we will have a young and up and coming QB being groomed behind him that will be the answer down the road.   IMO we will be fishing too low in the draft for that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Alex and to an extent Kyle Allen has helped proved this point.  Their supporting cast wasn't crap and I include the O line in this.  I bring this up because some (including me early on) used this point to grade Haskins on a curve.

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I can ride with Alex next year.  Sadly though I think almost zero shot now we will have a young and up and coming QB being groomed behind him that will be the answer down the road.   IMO we will be fishing too low in the draft for that. 


I think that is more than likely correct. However, watching the pre draft process unfold will be intriguing at the QB position. I genuinely expect the prospect evaluations to dramatically change over the next 5 months, other than with Lawrence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I can ride with Alex next year.  Sadly though I think almost zero shot now we will have a young and up and coming QB being groomed behind him that will be the answer down the road.   IMO we will be fishing too low in the draft for that. 

 

I'm beginning to wonder/hope how far Lance falls. However, don't sleep on the Giants winning this division. They have the Bengals this week, the Cowboys week 17 (who are done. McCarthy might be one-and-done, especially have that Jim Zorn level reverse fake punt crap.) Then the Seahawks (L), Cardinals, and Browns. I think they can win one of those last two--they've only been blown out in 1 game.

 

Yesterday was fun--and seeing the offense carried by Gibson and McLaurin is a good win--however this is a bad team. We've beaten the shell of the Cowboys twice and the Burrow-less Bengals. We have exciting pieces, but this is still a bad team. Winning the division would be crippling.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Man Alex Smith is awesome. You cannot say enough good things about this guy. I just wish he'd look more towards Terry - especially in the redzone. Throwing to WRs (especially in the RZ) has never been his strength but he also didn't always have the best receivers. He needs to trust him a bit more in those situations because as good as the running game has been the last couple of weeks we probably won't be able to reproduce that against teams like the Steelers and Terry is basically always open. Just take some shots when there is 1 on 1 and while Terry draws a lot of double coverages we actually get some 1 on 1s for him in the redzone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm convinced that there's an advanced metric that hasn't been uncovered yet that can explain how a guy like Alex Smith can throw for 150 yards and win games.  

 

Whatever it is, this is a different team with Smith at the helm.  Ball gets out quicker and it gets spread around.  

 

Comeback player of the year on lock.  Dude is a warrior and a team legend despite not having been here that long.  

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think we are pretty much at the point where Smith is nailed on to return next season. I’m not convinced we want to eat a 19mil salary, but as previous articles suggest, that’s  top 12-15 QB money. He may fall inside that bracket, possibly slightly lower, don’t know, but it’s likely a marginal overpayment we’ll just accept in the main.

 

 

we could try to renegotiate.  When this contact was signed, he had to know year four was when this contract was expected to be ended

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, carex said:

we could try to renegotiate.  When this contact was signed, he had to know year four was when this contract was expected to be ended

Yeah I agree.

 

I also considered that we add a voidable year on the end, convert some salary to bonus, incentives etc. Different options but I’m coming around to him being here. Just don’t like that total cost/ cap impact. 
 

Clear another 5/6mil in space, really helps shore up that OL and maybe chase that high price FA receiver or linebacker.

 

Once the season is over, I think Rivera is done evaluating. We need to be aggressive in free agency.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Smith is 8-4 as a starter for Washington. Every other QB since he went down? 6-25. 
 

Edit: 8-5, not 8-4. Some guy on twitter said 8-4, and i didnt think about how 6-4 (loss to Texans awarded to him) and 2-1 this year is 8-5. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another thought:

 

The Alex Smith trade helped us get rid of Gruden & Bruce and bring in Rivera, Alex has got us contending for the division in 2020 w/ a winning record as starter and Kendall Fuller is locked up and the best corner on our roster: the Smith trade was a triumph. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

 

Yesterday was fun--and seeing the offense carried by Gibson and McLaurin is a good win--however this is a bad team. We've beaten the shell of the Cowboys twice and the Burrow-less Bengals. We have exciting pieces, but this is still a bad team. Winning the division would be crippling.


Having a great understanding and perspective of bad teams lol this is not trending as one of those, due to what you mentioned, the young exciting pieces that are producing. A foundation appears to be forming. Also, a competent coaching staff is in charge. 
 

With that said, it will be hard to argue with you if the team gets blown out by the Steelers lol

 

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah I agree.

 

I also considered that we add a voidable year on the end, convert some salary to bonus, incentives etc. Different options but I’m coming around to him being here. Just don’t like that total cost/ cap impact. 
 

Clear another 5/6mil in space, really helps shore up that OL and maybe chase that high price FA receiver or linebacker.
 

 

You have to imagine Smith is willing to “play ball” with the organization from salary standpoint. I much rather him be around 12-15mil (5-6% of the cap), but that’s probably a reach. Hope team plays hard ball. 

 

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

 

Once the season is over, I think Rivera is done evaluating. We need to be aggressive in free agency.


I definitely think if some free agent guys line up, then be aggressive, but don’t mind if they play conservative with the idea to lock up talent already on the roster and even with idea to get ahead on some deals. 
 

No one can argue with the results of the free agency of last year by this FO: Mckissic, Thomas, Schweitzer, Kyle Allen (trade), Darby, KP, and Fuller are all hits! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect, any point in the future, perhaps after Smith's NFL playing career is over, that they will make a sequel to his documentary.

His documentary really isn't complete, until it shows what he accomplished on an NFL field, AFTER all the stuff that happened in the original one.

Part II is definitely in order.

And I really look forward to it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if they start to give him some more RPOs (not him running), but out of the gun with Gibson. Gibson being a legit ground and pound threat out of shotgun would seem to have immense value for the RPO game— which Alex Smith is elite at (as a passer these days only). Enamored with Gibson’s ability to get 2-4 yards in shotgun formation when nothing is there, makes this formation dynamic. 
 

Have they done this a bit and I just haven’t noticed? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wit33 said:

Wonder if they start to give him some more RPOs (not him running), but out of the gun with Gibson. Gibson being a legit ground and pound threat out of shotgun would seem to have immense value for the RPO game— which Alex Smith is elite at (as a passer these days only). Enamored with Gibson’s ability to get 2-4 yards in shotgun formation when nothing is there, makes this formation dynamic. 
 

Have they done this a bit and I just haven’t noticed? 

I feel like they have on some of those slants/digs to McLaurin, but I’m probably confusing it with straight PA.  I can’t imagine Alex is any slower than Dwayne (even at this point), and Haskins picked up some chunks on the sporadic keepers, so I wouldn’t rule it out...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Smith is the future of this franchise. At least for the next 2-3 seasons. There is no way you cut him now. The guy is a winner. He has always been a winner. Is he Patrick Mahomes? Nope. Not even close. But he is BY FAR the best QB on this roster. And we will not be in a position to upgrade his spot this off season. He is our QB for the foreseeable future. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked okay today but really expected him to light things up.  In the end, all that matters is that we got the win I guess.  Wish the receivers didn't have those drops to see how it would have turned out but overall just so-so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how or why he wins but he somehow gets it done, just a tough dude, took a gash to his good leg tonight, he's like the Black Knight in the Monty Python skit.

 

Good Job!

 

 

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...