Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

This isn’t a NFL protecting Dan Snyder thing. Washington’s culture was not unique to just Washington, hate to say it. Has Washington made some more gaffes along the way than many franchises? Sure, I suppose. I think part of it is we just suck so dan and Washington are easy targets and it’s easier to point to and highlight those gaffes when winning isn’t present.

Note: I said culture, not how the overall team is run. Very different. But those emails implicate far more than just Gruden and Snyder, which is why the NFL is protecting it at all costs. It would be devastating for the league to unearth those 650K emails. 

If it were just Snyder, he’d be out already. He’d fall on the sword like Gruden. But the problem is, again, this is not unique to Washington. That culture, unfortunately, is pervasive throughout the entire league. So if they take down Dan, you better believe Dan is going to fight tooth and nail to promote more and more investigations into other team cultures. All of a sudden it becomes a much bigger issue for the NFL to deal with. I firmly believe that’s what Gruden means by “the truth will come out one day.” He can’t hide from his words, those are documented, but he knows he isn’t the only one running around talking like that. Dan made it so Allen and Schar are essentially black balled from the league, he’s not just going to roll over when he feels wronged.

Separate point but Dan seems like an emotional dude and very reactionary. I don’t think for a second the news of ST’s retirement ceremony was timed that way to distract from anything. Distract from what? Allen who’s long gone and has been smeared to shame? Somehow doubt it. I think it was a giant F U to the fans who left in droves. That seems like something Dan would do.

Some people say Congress has no power over the NFL, well.......

Congress can remove their antitrust exemption.

That exemption (the Sports Broadcasting Act), allows the NFL to negotiate lucrative deals for the League and the teams. Like broadcasting and merchandise.  Something like that gets the attention of the NFL pretty quick.

I don't think Congress will do it, in the end, but I am pretty dang sure the NFL doesn't want Congress even considering it.

This morning I listened to Mike and Peter King doing a segment on it, and then to listening to Dan Patrick talking about it. The albatross "Snyder" just got a little heavier around the NFL neck.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BudLighticke said:

This isn’t a NFL protecting Dan Snyder thing. Washington’s culture was not unique to just Washington, hate to say it. Has Washington made some more gaffes along the way than many franchises? Sure, I suppose. I think part of it is we just suck so dan and Washington are easy targets and it’s easier to point to and highlight those gaffes when winning isn’t present.

Note: I said culture, not how the overall team is run. Very different. But those emails implicate far more than just Gruden and Snyder, which is why the NFL is protecting it at all costs. It would be devastating for the league to unearth those 650K emails. 

If it were just Snyder, he’d be out already. He’d fall on the sword like Gruden. But the problem is, again, this is not unique to Washington. That culture, unfortunately, is pervasive throughout the entire league. So if they take down Dan, you better believe Dan is going to fight tooth and nail to promote more and more investigations into other team cultures. All of a sudden it becomes a much bigger issue for the NFL to deal with. I firmly believe that’s what Gruden means by “the truth will come out one day.” He can’t hide from his words, those are documented, but he knows he isn’t the only one running around talking like that. Dan made it so Allen and Schar are essentially black balled from the league, he’s not just going to roll over when he feels wronged.

Separate point but Dan seems like an emotional dude and very reactionary. I don’t think for a second the news of ST’s retirement ceremony was timed that way to distract from anything. Distract from what? Allen who’s long gone and has been smeared to shame? Somehow doubt it. I think it was a giant F U to the fans who left in droves. That seems like something Dan would do.

Yeah, this is my biggest concern. If this behavior is pervasive then Snyder will continue to have the NFL behind him and protecting him. As you mention, not because they care about him, but themselves!

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Yes. 

I’d rather him be gone now than win a super bowl. 

the only exception would be if he’s not gone for like 20 years… then yeah I’ll take a super bowl. 

but I’ll take him leaving this season over a super bowl on the next 5 years.  No doubt. He’s ruined everything. 

We cannot win a SB unless he's gone. He would find a way to **** it up.

• Like 2

The dead last in ticket sales post above plays into what I mentioned yesterday from Keim's podcast where Keim said Bruce chewed him out at the time for an article he wrote a few years ago that the team was bleeding fans and they needed to take measures to bring them back.  Keim said Bruce told Keim he was wrong by citing how happy fans were at the stadium when they won the week before as proof that all is right with the WFT fan base. 

Then you add Sheehan talking about how Dan and Bruce were shocked at the results when they did an internal poll in 2019 that showed their popularity in the single digits.    

Obviously, Dan-Bruce had their heads up their butts and didn't see how fans were turning away and why.   Hence we are here at this point.   It was pretty obvious to most of us as it was going down.  It's amazing they were shocked by it.  But Dan blaming that stuff along with the culture squarely on Bruce is hilarious.   He's the guy at the top not Bruce.  

As much as Cerrato was a buffoon and Bruce and even bigger one, who hires the buffoons?  Dan.  How can Dan be angry and vindictive at his hires as if he's at their mercy supposedly?  Ridiculous.  Dan's apparent vandetta against Bruce strikes me beyond weird.  They were besties who would famously play putt putt golf together and supposedly were inseperabale and now Dan sees Bruce as his arch enemy? 

And if Dan leaked those emails to hurt Bruce and in turn it boomerangs aganist him, its karma.   I don't care for either Dan or Bruce.  But if I had to root for one in some sort of odd Freddy Kruger versus Michael Myers style battle -- I'd be on team Bruce.    And if Dan is indeed behind the leaks and the goal was to smear Bruce and by extension Jon to prop himself up -- its clearly backfired.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

If whatever "it" is that's in those 650k emails is ugly or widespread enough, just watch the ads on Sunday to see a roster of companies that might no longer want their names associated with the NFL. They pressure the networks, the networks pressure the league, and it's game over.

If anyone at the league office has half a brain (and they have some smart people there), they are working at getting ahead of this. Whether the congressional investigation accomplishes anything or not, the information is going to get out there soon simply because we all now know it exists. Inquiring minds want to know.

If the emails are just Bruce spending his busy days emailing naughty pictures around, then Dan has nothing to worry about. I have a feeling the emails would already be released if that was the case.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1

ASHBURN, Va. -- One of the House Democrats who sent a letter to the NFL seeking more information about its investigation into the Washington Football Team's workplace culture says he fears Jon Gruden's emails are the "tip of the iceberg."

Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, D-Ill., told ESPN that the representatives wanted to get involved because the NFL "holds a special place in American life."

"The way they handle issues of race and gender and the way they treat their employees really influences the way society handles those very issues," Krishnamoorthi said. "We're very much interested in learning more about exactly why the NFL did what they did and the way they did it."

Gruden resigned as Las Vegas Raiders coach earlier this month following reports that emails he wrote over a multiyear period included racist, misogynistic and anti-gay language. The emails were discovered as part of the investigation into Washington's workplace culture.

...Tom Davis served as chairman of the House Oversight Committee from 2003 to 2007 and was the ranking minority member on the committee during Congress' 2008 investigation into baseball's steroid issue. He said it was able to bring that issue to a hearing because it had bipartisan support in the House and because the target was more than just one player or team.

"Members will want to know why Congress is getting involved and, if so, why are they singling out one team," Davis said. "This isn't unique to the Washington Football Team. It's all over sports. It's all over locker rooms and college campuses.

"To get to the floor of the House, you have to be broader than the Washington Football Team."

The representatives' letter also raised concerns about nondisclosure agreements that former employees had signed and sought more information about the role of the NFL's general counsel, Jeff Pash, in the investigation.

Pash's close relationship with former Washington team president Bruce Allen was revealed in some of the leaked emails, which included topics that ranged from jokes on the league's diversity initiatives to rescinding an NFL fine. Allen was fired at the end of the 2019 season.

Krishnamoorthi said the Congress members don't think the former Washington employees who cooperated with investigators have received any response.

"The Washington Football Team and the NFL enjoy special privileges under our antitrust laws," Krishnamoorthi said. "We thought it was important to get to the bottom of what's going on in the NFL, in regards to the Washington Football Team in the way they handled their employees. What we've seen so far is deeply disturbing."

Krishnamoorthi said the representatives want to investigate this situation to determine whether new or stronger laws are needed to help employees in a similar environment. He said they also want to make sure the NFL did not cover up information via the nondisclosure agreements signed by the former Washington employees.

The emails from Gruden, sent when he was employed by ESPN as the lead analyst for Monday Night Football, went to Allen's team account, which is why they were uncovered as part of the NFL investigation. Some were also included in court filings in which Washington owner Dan Snyder tried to show that Allen was a source of leaking negative information about the team.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, BudLighticke said:

That's more than probable that what surfaced from Bruce/Gruden emails are more of a widespread habit within the league, exec, coaches, players, everyone.

That's a place where 300lbs guys are hitting themselves 24/7, so there's lots of testosterone out there.

Everyone knew about it, but nobody wanted to talk about it.

Now it's on the public place.

And those in charge have to find a way to cut their losses and stop the bleeding. Sacrifice a lamb here and there to appease the people. Create a law or two to show that you've done what was needed so that doesn't happen again. And that'll stop here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BudLighticke said:

“Everybody else is doing it too”

”It’s not just us”

”If we were winning this wouldn’t be news”

<Insert more unsubstantiated BS here>

There might be a half dozen people left in the world that buy this.  This is merely a fan coping mechanism to make yourself feel better about the team you are a fan of.

I mean sure, if you go through a bunch of powerful, rich men’s emails, you are going to find verbiage and statements that they don’t want the public to see.  Sure, they don’t want to set a precedent that could find them ousted over something similar.  Sure, they protect themselves.  That is exactly what’s going on here.

But sorry, the culture isn’t like this everywhere. And it’s not only news here because we suck.  There is a long, long list of just all around awful things that have transpired here well beyond these emails. That’s what makes us the easy target.  

Like I said, sure rich powerful dudes say all sorts of derogatory stuff.  And sure they don’t want anyone making their e-mail public.  But I’d be willing to bet that none of them are stupid enough to share topless photos of their cheerleaders on company e-mail.  I’d be willing to bet they don’t allude to cutting a player as means to get back at them for their union ties on company email.  And the list goes on. 

It’s insulting to the folks that were mistreated here to play the “but but they are doing it too” game when there is zero proof of that.  Again, I am not saying the top brass for any other clubs are just innocent wonderful human beings in the least.  But I guarantee you the aren’t as dumb and incompetent as what we’ve experienced in Washington.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

Man this story is either going to be completely earth shattering or a complete fart in the wind.  Theres really no in between.  

The one thing that worries me the celebration never occurs is that Snyder didnt have email.  And not bc hes smart.  Like come on, how tf is that even possible.  If we end up with Dan's pettiness nearly bring down Dan, with Dan's stupidity to grasp simple technologies like email saving Dan's petty ass...I mean...ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

The writer's really upped their game this season and I am 👀👀👀👀👀👀

• Like 1

I hate when people, even in tweets, address things towards Goodell. He has no power but that which the owners allow him to have. He does what they want, he doesn’t keep them in line. He is not an authority figure, he’s a face. He’s their employee, and they pay him ludicrously well to eat **** for them. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Man this story is either going to be completely earth shattering or a complete fart in the wind.  Theres really no in between.  

The one thing that worries me the celebration never occurs is that Snyder didnt have email.  And not bc hes smart.  Like come on, how tf is that even possible.  If we end up with Dan's pettiness nearly bring down Dan, with Dan's stupidity to grasp simple technologies like email saving Dan's petty ass...I mean...ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

The writer's really upped their game this season and I am 👀👀👀👀👀👀

It’s one of those things where we will work ourselves in a frenzy and there is no way that we won’t be left disappointed. It’s like the name change. Whatever it is, is going to suck a thousand and a half turds.

Maybe the next owner of the team can pick a decent name.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

I would attend most definitely.  If it comes to pass, seriously we should organize that and give him the send off he truly deserves.

8 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Would there be a championship-like parade if Dan was forced to sell the team?

Y'all. I am THERE for it. I haven't flown out for my yearly game in years because of this dumpster fire, but I ain't missing that one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s insulting to the folks that were mistreated here to play the “but but they are doing it to” game when there is zero proof of that.  Again, I am not saying the top brass for any other clubs are just innocent wonderful human beings in the least.  But I guarantee you the aren’t as dumb and incompetent as what we’ve experienced in Washington.

I can't agree with this post more, especially this part. There is a reason this all broke out from one single team, ours. There's a reason that even if all of this was going on by some, it was able to be somewhat mitigated by decent front offices of other teams. Even by the logic that everybody else is doing it (a false equivalency), this team did it in a way that got them exposed like no other, and rightfully so.

I also don't think the logic that all the other owners will protect Dan for the sake of their own necks, stands. If things really start to get out about other people, they will direct their ire straight at the cause of it all, which is Dan Snyder and his incompetent team that caused yet another disaster, and oh yeah he can't sell tickets. When everything hits the fan, this group isn't going to stand lock step together, they'll eat their own and go right after the one that started the fire. We're past the "stand together" part now. There is no bigger person to set up as the one to take the brunt of this than Dan and his team, the very source of the investigation to begin with. I see the NFL using this team as an example more than I see them standing strong together to save their own necks.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

“Everybody else is doing it too”

”It’s not just us”

”If we were winning this wouldn’t be news”

<Insert more unsubstantiated BS here>

There might be a half dozen people left in the world that buy this.  This is merely a fan coping mechanism to make yourself feel better about the team you are a fan of.

I mean sure, if you go through a bunch of powerful, rich men’s emails, you are going to find verbiage and statements that they don’t want the public to see.  Sure, they don’t want to set a precedent that could find them ousted over something similar.  Sure, they protect themselves.  That is exactly what’s going on here.

But sorry, the culture isn’t like this everywhere. And it’s not only news here because we suck.  There is a long, long list of just all around awful things that have transpired here well beyond these emails. That’s what makes us the easy target.  

Like I said, sure rich powerful dudes say all sorts of derogatory stuff.  And sure they don’t want anyone making their e-mail public.  But I’d be willing to bet that none of them are stupid enough to share topless photos of their cheerleaders on company e-mail.  I’d be willing to bet they don’t allude to cutting a player as means to get back at them for their union ties on company email.  And the list goes on. 

It’s insulting to the folks that were mistreated here to play the “but but they are doing it too” game when there is zero proof of that.  Again, I am not saying the top brass for any other clubs are just innocent wonderful human beings in the least.  But I guarantee you the aren’t as dumb and incompetent as what we’ve experienced in Washington.

I’ll be honest, surprised you went that direction in response to my post.

The one guy who has been fired for this type of “culture” directly as a result of this investigation doesn’t even work nor has ever worked for this organization. 

That isn’t meant to compliment or let Washington off the hook for this type of behavior. It’s just clear as day this isn’t just a Washington thing. We are bleeding fans, a constant hot mess with no direction. It would be easy to get rid of Snyder if it didn’t implicate a whole other host of NFL owners/executives/coaches. 

Read the tea leaves. It’s easy to pretend we are the only ones with this type of culture, but we’re not. Hell, Allen himself has worked for franchises outside of ours. Did he just decide to engage in that type of behavior starting with us? Also kind of obvious with the gruden news, but hey, believe what you want to believe.  

Edited by BudLighticke