Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree with you. It's touchy with a lot of fans, but I've argued several times over the past 10-14 years that Sean Taylor is overrated due to the circumstances and tragic nature of his murder. That isn't to say that he wasn't talented. That isn't to say that he may not have become an all-time great. But, he was 3.5 years into his career and was just coming off a pretty average year in 2006. He was playing great in 2007 and had a pretty good 2005. But, he also was a headache at times during his rookie year. He was so young, so it's completely fair to assume that he was on the right path for good. 

Man, if that's what you saw when you watched, then you just plain missed out.

This is like saying Nirvana is only considered a legendary band because Kurt Cobain is dead.  I mean, just, no.  Sean was here for four years that were incredible to watch.  I'm sorry you missed it.

______

Anyway, thanks @Jumbo for the article, but please don't do large quotes.  It's in the rules.  (please don't ban me for the joke, I have a quota of those to meet)

I am so sad that Rivera saying that means nothing to me.  Like, it's just another Redskins/WFT coach saying, "We've gotta do the thing better."  No difference from Zorn or Shanny or Norv or Schotty or Spurrier or Gruden.  To see an ace/king like Rivera just shuffled in with that deck is depressing.

Edited by NewCliche21
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Anyway, thanks @Jumbo for the article, but please don't do large quotes.  It's in the rules.  (please don't ban me for the joke, I have a quota of those to meet)

right, like i'd ban for jokes, even bad ones...you've seen what lows i'll go to for a gag :D

fyi---since the new software collapses all quotes (in case your discerning eyes hadn't noticed 😛) and gives the reader the option to see the entirety or not, we haven't been concerned about that aspect of rule 12 to the same degree as days of yore

try to keep up :P

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know what the definition of a "community icon" is.  

I think its either a player who was recognized top-tier one on a championship-level squad like the Skins had in the 80s, or a player like Sonny who was in large part on mediocre teams (except for the tail end, when Kilmer was the de facto starter), but who established a substantial media presence in the DC area via being the color guy on the radio and through his weekly appearances on George Michael's Redskins show. This isn't to fault Sean......he was a pretty private guy, and not having the exposure was his choice. I would actually consider Chris Cooley, who was drafted the same year as Sean, to be more of a community icon, even though Sean was the better player. I just find it head scratching that the reception of retiring Sean's number (especially this number of years after) would meet with a better reception than if Art or Darrrell's number was retired. Unless you are making assumptions about the age of the average WFT fan.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mojo said:

It took Bruce Allen 10 years build up amount of  hatred and vitriol that Jason Wright has conjured up in just this past weekend.  Truly remarkable!

7143CB23-AB6B-43D6-A241-13C21B57C7C8.gif

I think this is the melodramatic stuff that new poster is talking about.

Wright would need another 10 years of total dysfunction to even cross into Allen territory. 

He is a guy collecting a paycheck. I have no ill will towards the guy. WFT was a mess before him and probably will be after him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think this is the melodramatic stuff that new poster is talking about.

Wright would need another 10 years of total dysfunction to even cross into Allen territory. 

He is a guy collecting a paycheck. I have no ill will towards the guy. WFT was a mess before him and probably will be after him. 

I disagree.  Jason did his media tour when he was hired and acknowledged the dysfunction, he used all the buzzwords “transparency, empowerment, etc” while describing his role in righting this ship.  Dude should have quit before publicly bowing down to Snyder last weekend.  He could’ve saved some face and gotten a better job in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, mojo said:

I disagree.  Jason did his media tour when he was hired and acknowledged the dysfunction, he used all the buzzwords “transparency, empowerment, etc” while describing his role in righting this ship.  Dude should have quit before publicly bowing down to Snyder last weekend.  He could’ve saved some face and gotten a better job in the future.

Everyone who works for Dan leaves worse than how they came.  Not matter how decorated they were before they got here, they leave disheveled.  

The only exceptions to that are those with a few degrees of separation from Snyder, ie: McVay, Kyle S., etc.

Certainly doesn’t bode well for Wright.  Not sure what’s viewed worse though, quitting or failing and being let go.

• Like 3

Ex-Washington Football Team cheerleader and marketing director accuses owner Dan Snyder of leaking Jon Gruden's emails to 'pin' club's sexual harassment scandal on former president Bruce Allen

Pretty solid timeline recap here. Hit the link for the entire thing, here's the bullet points:

• Melanie Coburn, a former Washington Football Team employee, has accused club owner Dan Snyder of leaking the emails that led to Jon Gruden's resignation
  • Gruden resigned as head coach of the Raiders last week after the emails he sent to then-WFT president Bruce Allen between 2011 and 2018 surfaced in the media
  • Gruden is seen using racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language to Allen
  • Gruden's messages were included among 650,000 emails as part of the NFL's investigation into sexual harassment allegations against the team 
  • The probe ended in July, resulting in a $10 million fine for the club and Snyder ceding day-to-day control of the franchise to his wife, Tanya 
  • Coburn claims Snyder leaked the emails as part of his ongoing feud with Allen 
  • She said Snyder is trying to pin the team's sexual harassment scandal on the former WFT president, who was fired in 2019 after a 3-13 campaign 
  • If she's correct, it wouldn't be the first time Snyder has shared Allen's emails. He previously included some of the leaked emails in a separate court filing in April 
  • Through his attorney, Snyder denied leaking the emails. The NFL has also denied being the source of the leaks. Allen did not respond to requests for comment 
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, TK said:

Ex-Washington Football Team cheerleader and marketing director accuses owner Dan Snyder of leaking Jon Gruden's emails to 'pin' club's sexual harassment scandal on former president Bruce Allen

Pretty solid timeline recap here. Hit the link for the entire thing, here's the bullet points:

• Melanie Coburn, a former Washington Football Team employee, has accused club owner Dan Snyder of leaking the emails that led to Jon Gruden's resignation
  • Gruden resigned as head coach of the Raiders last week after the emails he sent to then-WFT president Bruce Allen between 2011 and 2018 surfaced in the media
  • Gruden is seen using racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language to Allen
  • Gruden's messages were included among 650,000 emails as part of the NFL's investigation into sexual harassment allegations against the team 
  • The probe ended in July, resulting in a $10 million fine for the club and Snyder ceding day-to-day control of the franchise to his wife, Tanya 
  • Coburn claims Snyder leaked the emails as part of his ongoing feud with Allen 
  • She said Snyder is trying to pin the team's sexual harassment scandal on the former WFT president, who was fired in 2019 after a 3-13 campaign 
  • If she's correct, it wouldn't be the first time Snyder has shared Allen's emails. He previously included some of the leaked emails in a separate court filing in April 
  • Through his attorney, Snyder denied leaking the emails. The NFL has also denied being the source of the leaks. Allen did not respond to requests for comment 

So what are the odds Allen blackmails Snyder for money or else he leaks the remainder of them?

Good time to remember what Riggo said about Snyder in 2009 during an interview with Inside the NFL:

"But this is a bad guy that owns this team. I'll just tell you that upfront. Bad guy. And if the Commissioner is worried about potential new owners and saying some of these guys shouldn't apply, he might want to police his own inside guys."

"I just don't think you can be successful in those situations and when you are dealing with someone with the mindset of a child and yet owns a franchise in the NFL."

"[Dan Snyder] knows nothing about football, absolutely nothing. I don't think they have a clue how a football team comes together, how it works. And yet they are the ones that are basically calling all the shots through a puppet, which is Vinny Cerrato."

"Let me put it to you this way, Cris, this person's heart is dark."

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

On 10/19/2021 at 7:44 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan is known to be a master salesman initially. Hey those stories aren't true about me, etc, etc. etc.  But then he comes out of his cage.  As one story i posted last year from a source who knew Dan, the quote was something like Ron hasn't met the "real Dan" yet.

Man, you know who this sounds like?

Post: It was all for YOU, LOVE || Kiribati Finale Plea || Joe Goldberg  Style - zwooper.com

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, mojo said:

It took Bruce Allen 10 years build up amount of  hatred and vitriol that Jason Wright has conjured up in just this past weekend.  Truly remarkable!

7143CB23-AB6B-43D6-A241-13C21B57C7C8.gif

It didn't take years to build up hatred toward Allen, just took years for him to get fired.

I think a lot of people saw Jason for what he was: a young face to put out the same bull**** we've been hearing since the late '90's. He just got more leeway because he wasn't Bruce, but he's done a woeful job and the last two weeks are pretty strong indicators of that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

but he's done a woeful job and the last two weeks are pretty strong indicators of that.

We must first ask ourselves, how can one not do a woeful job at putting lipstick on this pig?

The problem is folks convince themselves they will be the one to fix it so they accept the job with these fairy tale like expectations of what it's going to be like and then these situations present themselves and they look terrible for it.  Whomever it was that referred to Washington as a reverse car wash absolutely nailed it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Man, if that's what you saw when you watched, then you just plain missed out.

This is like saying Nirvana is only considered a legendary band because Kurt Cobain is dead.  I mean, just, no.  Sean was here for four years that were incredible to watch.  I'm sorry you missed it.

I just don't get swept up in the hype. He was a very good player and he was on a great trajectory. I knew this would cause immediate defensive reactions, which is why I caveated it up front. The way he was playing in 2007 before his injury was phenomenal, but it was what...a 6-8 game sample size?? That means he's just going to continue that ascension until he's Ed Reed? That's a stretch...it MAY HAVE happened, but it was in no way a foregone conclusion. 

14 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I just don't get swept up in the hype. He was a very good player and he was on a great trajectory. I knew this would cause immediate defensive reactions, which is why I caveated it up front. The way he was playing in 2007 before his injury was phenomenal, but it was what...a 6-8 game sample size?? That means he's just going to continue that ascension until he's Ed Reed? That's a stretch...it MAY HAVE happened, but it was in no way a foregone conclusion. 

Those are all good points, but what must be remembered is how Sean made us as fans FEEL at the time, too, not just his stats. As someone who was there in the glory years of Gibbs I, I can say without hesitation that Sean made me feel a sense of pride in the team that I hadn't felt in decades. I went to that Hall of Fame game that year, and seeing what he did in that game was an epiphany. Seeing how he literally TERRORIZED opponents is something that doesn't show up in a stat. Seeing him literally win games for us in 2005 with incredible fumble recovery TDs. People often forget the huge hit he put on a Cowboys receiver to dislodge the ball on a third down in that Monday Night Miracle game. He brought an electricity with him and an excitement that simply had not been apparent on that team for years and years, and I know I felt that way while he was ALIVE, not just in hindsight after his death. The fact that so many of us literally wept when we heard the news he'd passed away says everything about what he did for this fanbase. He was by far the most important and beloved player we've had since the glory days. His death was utterly soul crushing to this fan base,  not just because of what "might have been," but because of what WAS. 

Edited by Dissident2

8 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Those are all good points, but what must be remembered is how Sean made us as fans FEEL at the time, too, not just his stats. As someone who was there in the glory years of Gibbs I, I can say without hesitation that Sean made me feel a sense of pride in the team that I hadn't felt in decades. I went to that Hall of Fame game that year, and seeing what he did in that game was an epiphany. Seeing how he literally TERRORIZED opponents is something that doesn't show up in a stat. Seeing him literally win games for us in 2005 with incredible fumble recovery TDs. People often forget the huge hit he put on a Cowboys receiver to dislodge the ball on a third down in that Monday Night Miracle game. He brought an electricity with him and an excitement that simply had not been apparent on that team for years and years, and I know I felt that way while he was ALIVE, not just in hindsight after his death. The fact that so many of us literally wept when we heard the news he'd passed away says everything about what he did for this fanbase. He was by far the most important and beloved player we've had since the glory days. His death was utterly soul crushing to this fan base,  not just because of what "might have been," but because of what WAS. 

Good post...he was absolutely a play-maker and I'll go back to something I said yesterday - he was a cool player to have on our team! But even during that time period, Portis and Moss were always the players who linked me back to that 1980s pride that I had as a kid. 

And I never mentioned stats. In fact, I don't have any idea how those looked or how you really judge performance of a S based on stats. From what I was watching, Taylor was having an outstanding 2007...he essentially covered the entire field sideline to sideline on the back end. BUT...I just don't see how anyone knows what he would have become in years 5-10 of his career. 

We really have had some...interesting people own this team. 

-Marshall - who liked big shows almost as much as much as he disliked black people

-JKC - more successful owning this team than staying married (found a 1991 SI profile of him and it is *dark*)

-Daniel Snyder - a living, breathing Napoleon Complex who doesn't seem to understand how basic human decency works.

Edward Bennett Williams seems to be the most stable and respectable human being to run this club and he was an attorney. 

Edit: here's the SI profile on JKC. Again, be ye warned - it gets *really dark*. I had no idea he did so many people so dirty.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1991/12/16/larger-than-life-in-his-own-estimation-at-least-jack-kent-cooke-the-owner-of-the-washington-redskins-is-an-immortal

Edited by thebluefood
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

We really have had some...interesting people own this team. 

-Marshall - who liked big shows almost as much as much as he disliked black people

-JKC - more successful owning this team than staying married (found a 1991 SI profile of him and it is *dark*)

-Daniel Snyder - a living, breathing Napoleon Complex who doesn't seem to understand how basic human decency works.

Edward Bennett Williams seems to be the most stable and respectable human being to run this club and he was an attorney. 

Edit: here's the SI profile on JKC. Again, be ye warned - it gets *really dark*. I had no idea he did so many people so dirty.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1991/12/16/larger-than-life-in-his-own-estimation-at-least-jack-kent-cooke-the-owner-of-the-washington-redskins-is-an-immortal

Thank you for sharing that article!

• Like 1