Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Yep, and look at the team Manning had around him. I'd be shocked if Rodgers came to DC just because we are not built to win yet. Ditto for Russell Wilson unless he wants go come home. 

Vets choose where they want to go and we can't be high on many vet QB's list. I would absolutely bring in Trubisky if I thought he learned this year from how Josh Allen plays. He has a big arm and can run. Who knows, if McDermott tells RR that Trubisky was just really poorly coached in Chicago and has really grown in Buffalo then he's a guy I'm really intrigued with. Sometimes it takes a few years for guys to really learn the league and Buffalo, being the #1 offense in the league, might be the perfect place for Trubisky to revive his career. We've seen other guys do it. 

I would also draft or sign a bellcow back and work on running the ball more. If you don't have a franchise QB you can dominate in other facets of the game. That's what Tennessee is doing. We can do that too while we find a QB. Just my thoughts. 

That’s probably the worst part of the poor defensive play. If we were playing D like the end of last year, we would be an attractive destination for a QB. 

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think that’s definitely arguable, even probable. And I don’t care at all. It’s 2021. I was barely alive for the dominant 1991 team, and wasn’t alive for the earlier SB squads. I respect history, but this modern WFT organization has done nothing but make the glory years look bad while dragging them through the mud for a feel-good moment every few years when it’s needed. It’s played out. I don’t ever want to hear about it again until we’re good enough to warrant the comparison. We have been losers and afterthoughts for 3 decades, nobody else in the NFL cares about our glory years, it’s a sad joke to even bring it up in 2021. Might as well be a different team and fanbase entirely. 

We're the sports team equivalent of Uncle Rico.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is 2021. If you don't have a franchise QB you're fighting a losing battle.

The teams with the best records all have the best QBs with no exceptions(not counting Seattle since RW is hurt).

Yep.  Life is a lot easier when you have Qbs that make plays like this and a lot more difficult when you don't have that guy and go up against teams who do.  this season is a good sample of that:  Herbert, Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, Willson, Brady, Prescott.  Going up with a knife to a gun fight typically doesn't do it, no matter how sharp the knife.

Teams like Buffalo struggled for a long time to find that guy, now they have one and all of a sudden out of nowhere they are a SB contender.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Here's the issue: I think Rivera sees all of this. And I think when it comes time to fix it Snyder will get involved.

I have gone from thinking Snyder is out of the picture to believing he is the whole picture... I'm convinced Collins is on the field because of him. 

I want to believe that and think the best of it, but at the same time, is Ron Rivera really shackled to Dan's will? Ron Rivera duct taped together a shabby cardboard team, sailed it into the playoffs, beat cancer while doing it, and kept the cardboard boat from sinking despite carrying two bowling balls made of pure steel.

Ron could spit in Dan's face, and every fan and media source would look at Dan expecting him to thank Ron.

Ron can drop his bowling balls on the table and tell Dan to go cry in his boat while he sails to an island where he can pound sand. Shanny couldn't do this in 2013 because RG3 was the face of the franchise. Ron can do it, and he should have done it since the day he made the playoffs.

Edited by NickyJ

6 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I want to believe that and think the best of it, but at the same time, is Ron Rivera really shackled to Dan's will? Ron Rivera duct taped together a shabby cardboard team, sailed it into the playoffs, beat cancer while doing it, and kept the cardboard boat from sinking despite carrying two bowling balls made of pure steel.

Ron could spit in Dan's face, and every fan and media source would look at Dan expecting him to thank Ron.

Ron can drop his bowling balls on the table and tell Dan to go cry in his boat while he sails to an island where he can pound sand. Shanny couldn't do this in 2013 because RG3 was the face of the franchise. Ron can do it, and he should have done it since the day he made the playoffs.

Out of curiosity… what does Rivera do game day? The role of a head coach is vast. But I get the sense he’s more figure head on game day and less involved. His role in the franchise is more personnel / front office related.

Every time they cut to him he’s just standing there. 

He’s even involved with the name change.

I’m NOT crapping on Rivera. I think he has been important to the little success we had last season in nearly every way, he is a man that deserves respect. He is a quality human. 

But what exactly is his role on game day?

I think the hope that ANYONE can stand up to Snyder is just that: hope.

I wanted to believe it, too. I thought Ron was captaining the ship. But it seems like he’s trying/tried and isn’t finding success and he is frustrated. 

I could be wrong. Maybe he’s not a bystander. But one thing we know, for sure, is Snyder has been involved in every aspect of this team since he bought it.

The story about them having a draft choice lined up and him coming in off his yacht to make the pick speaks volumes. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Out of curiosity… what does Rivera do game day? The role of a head coach is vast. But I get the sense he’s more figure head on game day and less involved. His role in the franchise is more personnel / front office related.

I’m NOT crapping on Rivera. I think he has been important to the little success we had last season in nearly every way, he is a man that deserves respect. He is a quality human. 

I wanted to believe it, too. I thought Ron was captaining the ship. But it seems like he’s trying/tried and isn’t finding success and he is frustrated. 

I could be wrong. Maybe he’s not a bystander. But one thing we know, for sure, is Snyder has been involved in every aspect of this team since he bought it.

The story about them having a draft choice lined up and him coming in off his yacht to make the pick speaks volumes. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this.  I would have hoped he would be more involved with the defense and helping JDR make adjustments during game day.  It seems that they need all the help they can get.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

This could be telling. Its interesting to hear the stories about Kyle Smith and Haskins. And Gruden. And Shanahah. Its not necessarily the straws that broke the camels back but just the dysfunction within the org we know is dysfnunctional. Wright may not have known this, or thought he would have more power than he does. Maybe this is his first real opportunity to seehow the sausage is made and is deciding to go on a diet and maybe become a vegan. 

Dan is known to be a master salesman initially. Hey those stories aren't true about me, etc, etc. etc.  But then he comes out of his cage.  As one story i posted last year from a source who knew Dan, the quote was something like Ron hasn't met the "real Dan" yet.

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this.  I would have hoped he would be more involved with the defense and helping JDR make adjustments during game day.  It seems that they need all the help they can get.

By reputation in Carolina he often doesn't get involved with coordinating unless the defense goes bad, then he does.  If I recall he even took over play calling there at one point.

I've watched just about every press conference this season.  I got the impression in yesterday's that if he isn't fed up yet, he's getting there, talking about how the approach has to change.  He wasn't that global about their issues before that.  Sadly though if they mix it up, it won't matter IMO against Aaron Rodgers. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

With regards to the lack of a legit franchise QB, part of the WFT problem has been that they simply don't hire quality offensive minded coaches often enough and allow them latitude to pick and develop a QB.

And I know I'm going to get pelted with tomatoes for saying this, but I think the WFT had a chance with Cousins, but didn't want to pay him for some reason.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's elite (as in top 5) but could consistently be in the top ten and might have a where he's borderline top five if the rest of the team around him is talented enough   Basically his ceiling being Eli Manning.  But Eli Manning won two Superbowls so ...   But even if Cousins wasn't the ultimate answer, I think they still should have stuck with him, established a winning culture then maybe transitioned to someone else.  Kind of like the Steelers did with Kordell Stewart.

To me, KC is the kind of QB that needs lots of support around him to win. He'll have big moments because he's talented but he is not a big game QB. Check out the ESPN article written years back on what went wrong between Cousins and the Skins and it speaks to him being reluctant to make certain throws that Gruden called for. KC lacks confidence in himself and it would rear it's ugly head in the biggest games....same thing in Minnesota. 

I was glad we dealt Cousins but I have no problem with your position on keeping him. We actually had some competitive teams when he was here up until win or go home time.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Out of curiosity… what does Rivera do game day?

Throws challenge flags

Calls TOs

Chooses when to go for it on forth down.

He is certainly more of a big picture guy, tying everything together. It seems most of his gameday job is merely communication.

Which again makes me question why this dude was on the sidelines last year when he was clearly struggling... He does the vast majority of his work Mon-Sat, Sun is just a bonus

To be completely fair, he is not the only HC you can say these things about. There are plenty of HCs who don't call plays and have about the same gameday responsibilities, most of them are simply more animated so it is all the more obvious when you look at Rivera doing his stonehenge impersonation.

Rivera has almost everyone beat in non-gameday responsibilities tho, and that is before we factor in the Mt Everest uphill incline culture battle he has to fight featuring ghosts of Christmas past

Would this surprise anyone at this point? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/18/cowboys-dak-prescott-nfl-week-6-fmia-peter-king/ :

"I don’t know where the emails came from. Several smart people in the league think the leaks come from the Snyder camp. Maybe he feels steamrolled by the league in its July penalty, though it was certainly exactly the opposite. Maybe (probably) he’s so anti-Allen that he’d have a jihad out for him and anyone close to him, which Gruden is. Whoever did it, this point remains, as one prominent plugged-in source told me: “The discipline against Snyder was shockingly light. You suspend Tom Brady when you never proved without a doubt he deflated the footballs, and you don’t suspend Snyder for running that kind of operation in Washington. And Gruden gets ruined. It’s not like Roger’s protecting a guy who’s good for the league anyway. Where’s the fairness?”

Yes, this came from NFL shill Peter King, so who knows how accurate it is...but I wouldn't put it past someone in Snyder's "camp" (likely Tanya, who has a history of defending her hubbie on burner social media accounts, and since Dan apparently doesn't even have an email address...) to have done this to try and make Bruce Allen the fall guy for the "damn good" culture in Ashburn. On the other hand, why bother releasing it now, when Snyder has already been punished and Allen likely will never get another NFL job anyway? Unless, of course, the NFL is considering further punishment for Danny Boy behind closed doors...

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

If you don't have a franchise QB you can dominate in other facets of the game. That's what Tennessee is doing. We can do that too while we find a QB. Just my thoughts. 

Tannehill is 12th in the league in QBR.  He actually had some good seasons in Miami in spite of popular belief that he never did.   He's a good QB, not elite, but in that 10-15 range -- Kirk, Carr, etc.

Yeah if someone like Trubisky transformed to Tannehill count me in if he tranformed into a top half of the league QB, but I don't think he has it in him.  Having said that i'll trust the FO to decide. 

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Throws challenge flags

Calls TOs

Chooses when to go for it on forth down.

He is certainly more of a big picture guy, tying everything together. It seems most of his gameday job is merely communication.

Which again makes me question why this dude was on the sidelines last year when he was clearly struggling... He does the vast majority of his work Mon-Sat, Sun is just a bonus

To be completely fair, he is not the only HC you can say these things about. There are plenty of HCs who don't call plays and have about the same gameday responsibilities, most of them are simply more animated so it is all the more obvious when you look at Rivera doing his stonehenge impersonation.

Rivera has almost everyone beat in non-gameday responsibilities tho, and that is before we factor in the Mt Everest uphill incline culture battle he has to fight featuring ghosts of Christmas past

I'm of the opinion most HCs shouldn't be calling plays. It's rare that they should.

Having said that, most of the HCs that are more managerial are also seen moving around the sidelines and communicating with players and coaches. It's entirely possible he is doing that but the camera chooses to find him when he looks stoic.

And yes, I agree he has a ton of non-gameday responsibilities. But if he is acting as FO why not just go and be FO? I'm not dogging the guy. I like him. I think he's football savvy.

I've seen Rivera talk to the players on the sidelines, you often see it in the segments when players are mic'd up and the cameras follow the players around. But he's often by himself. 

Listening to Rivera today on the Junkies, it was interesting for me to hear that he has an analyitics guy in his ear with the task of telling him the odds on executing certain plays-down and distance primarily ones like 4th down, whether to go for a field goal, etc.  He said he's not a slave to the numbers and also factors how well the players are playing or not. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

You have a point, but I'll put it another way: Alex Smith was Dan's QB. Dan can try to deny it, but Alex was in the pressbox for 2019, so I think it's fair to say that Dan loved him some Alex Smith. Alex Smith took the team to the playoffs, clearly had the respect of the team, and won Comeback Player of the Year, etc. Alex said he wanted to come back. Ron said no.

If Ron can say no to the comeback player of the year, Ron can say no to a cosplaying strong safety who likes to dress up in Sean Taylor memorabilia but only on contract years.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  Life is a lot easier when you have Qbs that make plays like this and a lot more difficult when you don't have that guy and go up against teams who do.  this season is a good sample of that:  Herbert, Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, Willson, Brady, Prescott.  Going up with a knife to a gun fight typically doesn't do it, no matter how sharp the knife.

Teams like Buffalo struggled for a long time to find that guy, now they have one and all of a sudden out of nowhere they are a SB contender.  

With that said, the Bills still lost yesterday.  🙂

This Monday, however, Rivera sounded more concerned. He seemed to be disheartened by the team’s lack of resiliency in the second half of Sunday’s loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, particularly following Dustin Hopkins’s missed field goal and Montez Sweat’s neutral zone infraction on a third down during a critical sequence.

Rivera also, directly for the first time, implicated himself in Washington’s poor start. He said the lack of discipline evident on Sweat’s penalty “falls on me” and added he may need to change his approach. When asked specifically how, he was vague, saying, “There are some things that, as far as coaching is concerned, there are certain ways to approach it.”

“The hard part when you're dealing with the players [is] … if you don't get on [the problems] right away, it may fester,” Rivera said. “And as I said, my approach probably has to be a little bit different.”

...An area that does have Rivera concerned, however, is the team’s inability to practice well. He noted that the rash of injuries the team has suffered means “we’ve had to slow practices down, and we’ve actually had to cut some of the periods and create a bit more walk-through so we can get more guys participating.” He noted the team didn’t wear pads Wednesday because it didn’t have enough healthy players, and when a team uses walk-throughs to help players understand their assignments, it loses out on the physicality of hitting in practice.

It's probably one of the bigger things that kind of set us back a little bit,” he said. “We've got to create a little bit more of that tempo that we have traditionally practiced with. And that's something we've got to get to.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/18/ron-rivera-washington-practice/

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've seen Rivera talk to the players on the sidelines, you often see it in the segments when players are mic'd up and the cameras follow the players around. But he's often by himself. 

Listening to Rivera today on the Junkies, it was interesting for me to hear that he has an analyitics guy in his ear with the task of telling him the odds on executing certain plays-down and distance primarily ones like 4th down, whether to go for a field goal, etc.  He said he's not a slave to the numbers and also factors how well the players are playing or not. 

Eh. I'd like to see him more involved because I think he'd help us significantly. But I'm guessing the staff is structured a specific way by management.

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

So essentially, Rivera needs to win more before he is no longer questioned for pulling a Belichick. Nobody will care if your winning games.

Bill Belichick GIF - Simpsons Patriots - Discover & Share GIFs

Belichick is all over the sidelines.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Eh. I'd like to see him more involved because I think he'd help us significantly. But I'm guessing the staff is structured a specific way by management.

Belichick is all over the sidelines.

Rivera is a good coach. Wasn’t he on the Panthers team that went 15-1 in 2015?