Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

Florio making it about him and his beliefs, not about George Floyd.  He should shut his big fat mouth.

I found this cartoon earlier, it's very simple but it says a lot.

image.png.4e739fb03bd6c91d3513248841bc495b.png

There's a lot of that going on right now.  I can't talk to my family members about this without them making it about them.  

George Floyd is incredibly sad and tragic.  And people are taking their eye off the ball.  Not everyone is taking their eye off the ball, but a lot are.  Not nearly as sad and tragic as George Floyd, but still sad...is people who are using this time to bring the focus on them and piggybacking their causes on top.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

SF resident was kneeling when fatally shot by Vallejo police during civil unrest

Assuming that's the same Vallejo incident mentioned in the other thread, then the situation supposedly was:

• Police receive report of looting of a drug store in progress.  
  • Marked unit responds, finds looting in progress, with multiple suspects loading things into multiple vehicles
  • Marked vehicle is rammed by fleeing looter's vehicles.  Officers injured. (Somewhere in there, additional units dispatched.)  
  • Second unit arrives in scene.  Observes person all in black, doing something with the vehicle the looters abandoned.
  • Person was kneeling, with the butt of what turned out to be a hammer sticking out of the waist of his pants.  

Slightly more complicated, more grey area, than simply "was kneeling when shot".  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to run a story by y’all from recent see what y’all think.  So I had a date with a black women recently.  She is 26 me 31.  So we been chatting a few weeks so we talked about things right now.  So she dropped the questions of have you dated outside your race, how would your family feel if you brought someone non white home then later how would you feel about if your kids were black and the future struggles?  

So I mean is that normal now?  Like most of my relationships were interracial but I don’t remember getting questions like that atleast off the bat.

(This seemed the best thread to post this question)

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@techboy son of a teacher here, so glad you posted that. 

If I add anymore, I'll derail the thread, but you nailed it.

I'd like to counter, having them in the building would be good PR. The SRO at my school does a great job at working with students and builds positive relationships with them. He's never really involved in discipline. The only time we involve the SRO in discipline is to ask advice and seek his help with any potential legal issues like citations for fights, thefts, etc. A lot of his day is to walk the halls, talk to students, and provide basic security. He's a positive influence and it would be good for the Minneapolis PD to have their good officers in schools. 

11 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I want to run a story by y’all from recent see what y’all think.  So I had a date with a black women recently.  She is 26 me 31.  So we been chatting a few weeks so we talked about things right now.  So she dropped the questions of have you dated outside your race, how would your family feel if you brought someone non white home then later how would you feel about if your kids were black and the future struggles?  

So I mean is that normal now?  Like most of my relationships were interracial but I don’t remember getting questions like that atleast off the bat.

(This seemed the best thread to post this question)

While I can't relate directly, a woman I dated, and respected a lot, gave me a similar talk about her kids before she would go out.  I see this as a good sign if you think you could you really get on with her.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

While I can't relate directly, a woman I dated, and respected a lot, gave me a similar talk about her kids before she would go out.  I see this as a good sign if you think you could you really get on with her.

The questions didn’t bother me.  I actually do get a bit of well not grief but comments about my dating habits.  It’s not that I avoid white women. I just generally connect better with others and honestly white women generally just don’t take to me.  Last girl was Asian and that family hated me for being white.  We tried to push through but they just couldn’t get pass it so we broke so they wouldn’t disown her. 

3 hours ago, techboy said:

And really, we don't actually NEED a police officer. School personnel can handle most discipline, and in a rare case the police can be called. We don't keep a School Resource Fireman on duty in case a student sets something on fire while sneaking a smoke.

Teacher in the UK here - we don't have cops in school. Period. Unless a crime has been committed or there is a risk to safety, in which case we call them.

Discipline is handled by teachers or pastoral staff. Why would you have a police officer dealing with discipline in school? That's nuts.

I know y'all do things differently with regards to guns etc (which is totally a convo for a different thread) so I could get to a point where I understand havings cops around for security, but damn, actively involved in the running of the school and interacting with students on school behaviour/non-criminal matters?  Does that really happen?

38 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

He's a positive influence and it would be good for the Minneapolis PD to have their good officers in schools. 

I get that but in a state where George Floyd and Philando Castile were both murdered by cops, do you really want to be taking good ones off the streets for PR purposes? Surely they're better on the streets, doing their job and protecting the citizens (from both criminals and bad cops)

The reason cops are in school in the first place is because Americans demanded it. Undemand it if you want but I think the total benefit is more than the total cost...

taking cops out of school isn’t a solution to the police brutality/institutional racism issue anyway. It’s a distraction...

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

49 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

I'd like to counter, having them in the building would be good PR. The SRO at my school does a great job at working with students and builds positive relationships with them. He's never really involved in discipline. The only time we involve the SRO in discipline is to ask advice and seek his help with any potential legal issues like citations for fights, thefts, etc. A lot of his day is to walk the halls, talk to students, and provide basic security. He's a positive influence and it would be good for the Minneapolis PD to have their good officers in schools. 

Bring them in for speeches then, use the proper tools for the job.

I would support an industry focused on replacing the responsibilities of SROs specifically trained for that, then call officers when needed.

There's a difference between cross-training and conflicting training, it creates it's own problems in the heat of the moment.

Trying to stay on topic here, the call is for better training and procedure review/reform for police at minimum.  Maybe how to do that should be it's own thread.

Edited by Renegade7

Hey is this the right place for Amad Aubry stuff too? They have investigators live on CNN right now have a link if yall want it. Long story short its confirmed the dude who shot him was a raging racists. Lots of social media posts about shooting those n words.