Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

Los Angeles is already trying to shift $110 million away from the LAPD to social reforms. Should pass it June 8.

Long way to go, but you can see how quickly local governments are responding. 

Im not really sure about the quality of these moves. Like, the minneapolis school system deciding not to use minneapolis police for security.... seems knee jerk reactionary.

I feel like Instead of acting like the police don’t exist, we should reform the police.... on the other hand, with social reform maybe you need fewer police.  California has been working on social reforms forever and not gotten a lot of progress to show for it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Im not really sure about the quality of these moves. Like, the minneapolis school system deciding not to use minneapolis police for security.... seems knee jerk reactionary.

I feel like Instead of acting like the police don’t exist, we should reform the police.... on the other hand, with social reform maybe you need fewer police.  California has been working on social reforms forever and not gotten a lot of progress to show for it.

I'm with you on this one, I think most of us can agree that the vast majority of police officers are good people so let's use this time to identify and remove the people who have a poor background and explain to the public how you plan to prevent officers from abusing their powers in the future. 

Removing them from the school system is far from the right answer. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Oh, I have no doubt that a lot of these actions we're applauding are simple political show.  

They're being done by politicians.  The occasions when politicians do things that aren't political show are very rare.  

I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that this problem's solved just yet.  Gonna applaud the progress.  But keep watching.  

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I'm not on the Minneapolis School Board, but I can tell you that to the school to prison pipeline has become increasingly an area of concern in education, well before this latest situation. The research on how discipline is handled when a police officer is involved is stark and frightening. People have been calling for reconsidering whether schools should have School Resource Officers for a while now, and so it doesn't necessarily have to have been knee jerk at all. This could well be something they've been considering already, and just got the motivation to follow through with.

5 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Removing them from the school system is far from the right answer. 

The problem is that even good people who are police officers (and I've liked all the SROs I've known) are trained to deal with criminals, not students, and it can change the mindset.

And really, we don't actually NEED a police officer. School personnel can handle most discipline, and in a rare case the police can be called. We don't keep a School Resource Fireman on duty in case a student sets something on fire while sneaking a smoke.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Police don’t need to be involved in discipline but they do need to need to be involved in security...

No they don't, unless the security they have can't handle it.

In DC when I was in middle school, you could tell many of them used to throwing adults around so going through the metal detectors in the AM wasn't exactly a "gm, welcome back" experience.

Their job is law enforcement. Throughout life I've grown more appreciation for when cops need to be last restore, not the first, and why.

Look at how these cops are acting during these protests, and folks want them in schools around our kids? High time we had this conversation, but maybe a different thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Look at how these cops are acting during these protests, and folks want them in schools around our kids? High time we had this conversation, but maybe a different thread.

Strong point that hits home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the Drew Brees apology and the general sentiment of "we need to have a conversation" or "we need to iisten to ..."   It's been 400 years of systematic oppression of black people and/or people of color, WTF do you need to hear??  What magical thing will be said that will have you all the sudden go "Ahhhhh, I get it now!" 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I want SRO’s pending a better Idea to mitigate school shootings. 

but I think the culture of what an SRO is needs to change. As mentioned, it needs to be one about taking care of students and being there if someone starts shootings; not that a person trained and mentally geared to deal with criminals is now dealing with school children behavioral things. 

and to that point what I want out of police reform from the officer perspective is a complete culture change too. They should be here to help us, to protect us, to serve us. Police officers should be people everyone feels comfortable teaching their children are here to help when we need it. 

i grew up around law enforcement. Know what the theme of their insight to me was? Don’t talk to the cops they’re not here to help you there here to figure out who to arrest. It’s an obvious mindset they all know they have and are trained to have. And it needs to change. 

it likely means increase in crime because their tactics are not solely born out of racism or something - a lot of it is born out of a numbers game to have reports to please their bosses (which are elected by the community...) 

its going to require everyone, not just the police, to have a real mindset change and understand that there will be negatives that come with it and to be dedicated to working on those negatives without reverting back to where we are now. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

Los Angeles is already trying to shift $110 million away from the LAPD to social reforms. Should pass it June 8.

Long way to go, but you can see how quickly local governments are responding. 

I would be curious to know what aspect of the LAPD budget they were going to use that $110 million for.  

40 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Regarding the Drew Brees apology and the general sentiment of "we need to have a conversation" or "we need to iisten to ..."

This happens practically every single time we have these events in the U.S.  Everyone talks about uniting, the need to talk constructively, and listen in order to fix the issues.  From there not much really happens, the defendants typically walk or get a slap on the wrist, rinse and repeat.

• Thanks 2