Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Posted (edited)

I’ve basically been bowsing kristol’s feed for the last 10 minutes since I found it. Good stuff. 

i hope there’s real meaning and intent behind all that stuff. I hope it’s not just fluff. 

Cause our politicians have failed us miserably. So we don’t have much left 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, tshile said:

I’ve basically been easing kristol’s feed for the last 10 minutes since I found it

i hope there’s real meaning and intent behind all that stuff. I hope it’s not just fluff. 

Cause our politicians have failed us miserably. So we don’t have much left 

Maybe it took seeing no GOP senators condemn ****face Trump for gassing American citizens for a photo-op for them to finally hit send to deliver the message. ****face Cotton's op-ed probably helped too in that regard. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Destino said:

If you think of it strategically, the reason doesn’t seem like too big a mystery.  They don’t want anything that helps protesters resist their efforts and remain in the area.  If they want medical aid, they’d prefer this force them to leave.   

Not saying I agree with it, just that I think I understand why they’d do it.  

Take it and give it to folks who need it elsewhere.

Stabbing water bottles while folks don't have clean water in Flint?

They confiscate drugs all the time before destroying them, that wasn't necessary at all, that was sending a message.  Whoever approved that message needs to be fired, too.

The logic they used was lazy, imo, confiscate, don't destroy.

• Like 1

The military leaders basically indirectly contradicting and rebuking Trump publicly with those memos is pretty unprecedented. I'm wondering if him wanting to bring in the military to deal with peaceful protesters will end up backfiring (like most things he does). Will Trump take the hint and realize that the military may very well refuse his orders if they think them illegal or immoral or will he keep pushing?

• Like 3

All progressive movement in the US has always been from the people.  By blood and sweat and gold.

The idea of a political messiah is a fools errand.   For 250+ years...

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Take it and give it to folks who need it elsewhere.

Stabbing water bottles while folks don't have clean water in Flint?

They confiscate drugs all the time before destroying them, that wasn't necessary at all, that was sending a message.  Whoever approved that message needs to be fired, too.

The logic they used was lazy, imo, confiscate, don't destroy.

I’d have gone the opposite route and had them ask if they could help these medical tents, share supplies, and give them a line of communication in case a serious injury turns up that needs to be evacuated.  Let police j ow where they are so that they aren’t targeted, even if there is nothing they can do to stop tear gas from drifting inside.

Democracy is messy but it’s the best system we got.  Protests are part of that process.  Everyone has to do their part to minimize the damage.

• Like 2

Thanks so much @UKskins. You have no idea how uplifting and encouraging it is to see people around the world show up to support not only our struggle, but for the rights of their own marginalized communities as well. The Syrian tribute was especially touching given everything they’ve endured. Nothing can bring George Floyd back, but the **** that murdered him immortalized him

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I grew up in a law enforcement house and environment. Majority of our family friends were such through law enforcement. It has taken me a long time to realize just how many awful people are police officers. And it was a rough road. I’ve argued countless times against many in this thread on this subject over the years. 

And it’s very sad to me because it flies in the face of how I was raised and what I’ve believed for the last 35 years. 

and it makes me feel like an idiot for believing what I believed and holding onto it for so long.  

No worries man. I managed to make my way into the Republiklan party for the better part of two decades. We all make mistakes.

As for the cops destroying the water and medical aid station, among other things we’ve seen in this and the original thread. Does anyone still think it’s over the top to call them fascists and brown shirts?

• Like 4

The police are so stupid. I never thought I would see the day that people of all races, sex, religion, age, demographic, etc would be all in on the anti police rhetoric. Perhaps we've actually turned a corner?

• Like 5

I'm not trying to drift too far, but it says a lot about this country that dinosaurs from the 1980's and 90's are still running things. Our society's growth is being held back by their old twisted ways of thinking. 

We have to do better. 

• Like 9

Los Angeles is already trying to shift $110 million away from the LAPD to social reforms. Should pass it June 8.

Long way to go, but you can see how quickly local governments are responding. 

• Like 8
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Destino said:

I’d have gone the opposite route and had them ask if they could help these medical tents, share supplies, and give them a line of communication in case a serious injury turns up that needs to be evacuated.  Let police j ow where they are so that they aren’t targeted, even if there is nothing they can do to stop tear gas from drifting inside.

Democracy is messy but it’s the best system we got.  Protests are part of that process.  Everyone has to do their part to minimize the damage.

If everyone did the right thing, what a wonderful world this would be, right?

Obviously someone told them to keep them from allowing supplies in wrong hands.

I'm not going to defend it because it's purely tactical as you noted.  If that's what they want to do, which I agree is wrong, don't make it double wrong.

There's no "just doing my job" there, they enjoyed that.

Edited by Renegade7