Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It turns out that dead or sick people can’t work. Now Americans might be forced to eat more vegetables. The horror!

I'm thinking there's got to be an opening for a meme, featuring the Chic fil A cows.  

"Keep ignoring stay at home orders"?  

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Without knowing what your business is, start putting up signs if you have a store front and spread the word on social media. People will come prepared. 

It’s auto service. We’ve been open this whole time but our office and waiting area has been closed. Right now, I’m in talks with the owner on how best to open up our doors. Obvious face coverings, social distance and probably a limit to the amount of customers allowed at once. 

• Like 1

The Pandemic May Mean the End of the Open-Floor Office

The modern corporate office is renowned for open, collaborative work spaces, in-house coffee bars and standing desks with room for two giant computer monitors.

Soon, there may be a new must-have perk: the sneeze guard.

This plexiglass barrier that can be mounted on a desk is one of many ideas being mulled by employers as they contemplate a return to the workplace after coronavirus lockdowns. Their post-pandemic makeovers may include hand sanitizers built into desks that are positioned at 90-degree angles or that are enclosed by translucent plastic partitions; air filters that push air down and not up; outdoor gathering space to allow collaboration without viral transmission; and windows that actually open, for freer air flow.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Larry said:

It's almost like going to work every day during an epidemic can be bad for your health.  (And worker productivity.)  

For sure, but America is a work obsessed country.

I always envied my European friends. So much better work-life balance.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That's why we're better at them at everything.  

(Yes, that's an attempt to role play the stereotypical American.  It's my national duty.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

i liked the post and agree, but i have also been on of those work-a-lot types and have liked many aspects of my living in the usa (oh dear, look what i've done) when it had the kind of national wealth and power that comes much from the aggressive, expansive, hard-working capitalism components of our society

still think it could be better balanced but i wouldn't want to go full euro (pretending europe's all the same), just somewhat more euro 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

As we don't have sports I'd like a full play by play with color commentary of what's going on in this action. Including the guys watching from their cars.

• Like 1

Can anyone explain the logic in reopening the economy?  I haven't seen a simple summary.  Are we saying that because it primarily affects the elderly and vulnerable in society we are taking extra precaution to protect them, but everyone else is ok to be exposed to it?  Are we saying this virus silently spread through the country already, so its okay to be exposed?  Are we saying that we need to get our economy running again, so "damn the COVID, everyone back to work." 

The logic behind the shutdowns in my mind was a pause to understand more about the virus and slow the spreading.  I am not convinced we know a ton more about treatment (maybe doctors do?) -- I would like to see studies thst show we are improving effectivity. 

Are hospitals better equipped now that we can handle COVID?  Or are we just ignoring that logic?  

• Like 1