Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

a little more on this one (more at link)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/three-members-of-the-same-family-are-charged-with-murder-in-fatal-shooting-of-family-dollar-security-guard-43-after-he-told-a-customer-she-needed-to-wear-a-face-mask/ar-BB13Bxep?li=BBnb7Kz

Sharmel Teague, her husband Larry Teague, 44, and her son Ramonyea Bishop, 23, have been charged with first-degree premeditated murder and gun charges. Munerlyn had told Sharmel she had to leave the store because her daughter lacked a mask, leading Teague to argue with the security guard.

A short while later two men later entered the store. Larry Teague yelled at Munerlyn about disrespecting his wife and Bishop shot Munerlyn in the back of the head, according to Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton. Sharmel Teague has been arrested but Teague and Bishop remain at large. 

Larry Teague faces additional charges of violating Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s executive order mandating all customers and employees wear face coverings inside retail stores. The premeditated murder charge in Michigan carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole if they are convicted. 

No information has been released about the daughter that was not wearing a face mask. 'From all indications, Mr. Munerlyn was simply doing his job in upholding the Governor's Executive Order related to the COVID-19 pandemic for the safety of store employees and customers,'  Leyton said in a statement Monday. 'It is important that the governor’s order be respected and adhered to, and for someone to lose their life over it is beyond comprehension,' he added. 

Munerlyn was left laying in the doorway suffering a gunshot wound to the head. 

He was taken to Hurley Medical Center, where he later succumbed to his wounds.    

He was a doting father and beloved member of the community, known to his loved ones by his childhood nickname, 'Duper.'

duper.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

"So we told them it was safe to go back to work".

Just to be fair, they haven't said it's safe.  Their statement is more like "Go to work, or don't, but we're not going to help you out if you don't want to risk your life (or do what's best for society at large)."  

In short, they're not even pretending that it's safe.  Just shoving people back to work, whether it's safe or not.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Thanks for that update...that story pissed me off to no end.

• Thanks 1

i think this sort of response, at least for awhile, will be more common than many red state goper officials thought

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-back-in-business-barely-yall-as-malls-restaurants-empty/ar-BB13C2oo?li=BBnb7Kz

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - The Domain mall in Austin, Texas, is open for business - unlike most of its 100 upscale shops - as the state entered its first work week of eased pandemic restrictions in the hopes of rekindling the economy. A dozen or so people were strolling about the sprawling open-air shopping center Monday afternoon, with three seated on the patio of a Tex-Mex restaurant. Only one shopper wore a mask, and the loudest noises were from songbirds perched in the live oak trees along the deserted pedestrian thoroughfares.

"I've seen one customer today - they didn't buy anything," said Taylor Jund, who was keeping watch over an empty Chaser clothing store. "There's absolutely no one coming around here."

While protests across the United States demand state governments allow business to reopen and people to get back to work, the vast majority of Americans balk at relaxing stay-at-home orders too quickly, according to Reuters/Ipsos opinion polling. Texas, Georgia and other southern states are leading the way in letting stay at home orders expire and gradually allowing people go about their business. But the early days of the opening in Texas show that many residents might want to stay home anyway.

"The cases of coronavirus aren't really going down, so I suspect people aren't comfortable going to malls or getting back to normal life," David Tamayo said while sitting on a shaded bench with his girlfriend at The Domain, where he said they came to relax outdoors. Restaurants, retail stores and malls in Texas are now allowed to open at 25% capacity in most areas. Stores in rural counties with five or fewer cases can operate at 50%. A second phase is planned for May 18 if infection rates decline.

On Monday, Texas reported that it had 884 deaths from COVID-19 and 32,332 cases total, though it has among the lowest per capita testing rate of any state.

more at link

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, tshile said:

All I know is Virginia better stay closed for a long time

in a pre-Trump era northam would be considered a clown at this point

Don’t really look forward to him making that decision 

By "a long time" I hope you mean 10 more days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/northam-to-reopen-virginia/2020/05/04/7c65f518-8e13-11ea-a0bc-4e9ad4866d21_story.html

Northam says he’ll probably ease some restrictions in Virginia on May 15

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam extended the state's business shutdown through May 14 on Monday but said he expects to begin rolling back restrictions after that, marking the Washington region's first shift toward the next phase of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Northam (D) said conditions are in place to allow the state to consider reopening dine-in restaurants and some other establishments under social distancing requirements. Hospitals are reporting excess bed capacity and adequate levels of personal protective gear, he said, and there appears to be slower growth in the rate of new infections.

Frankly, this may end up being counterproductive.  I know I sure as **** am not going to a dine-in restaurant for a long time, and if other people are, I'll probably cut back on getting carry-out from those places, which I do a lot. 

• Like 2

Virginia is way ****ed. They've been under testing for this whole time. We have no idea how bad it really is in VA.

My business is probably going to open its doors to customers next week and I know I'm going to piss off a bunch of people when I tell them they can't come in without face coverings and they need to stand the **** back.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Virginia is way ****ed. They've been under testing for this whole time. We have no idea how bad it really is in VA.

My business is probably going to open its doors to customers next week and I know I'm going to piss off a bunch of people when I tell them they can't come in without face coverings and they need to stand the **** back.

Be safe. I would hope that Flint, Michigan is an outlier but nothing is worth dying for. Good luck with your reopening. 

Removed the link - it's already been posted. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-georgia-town-of-albany-a-coronavirus-epicenter-isnt-ready-to-reopen-theres-still-too-much-grief-uncertainty/ar-BB13C2hM?li=BBnb7Kz

ALBANY, Ga. — For Elaine Williams, coronavirus couldn’t be more personal.

She watched her son take his last breath April 3 over a cellphone screen, two days after he tested positive at a hospital two hours away from home. Five days later, she buried 38-year-old Kenya Williams at a memorial service with only six chairs allowed — one for herself and five for immediate family.

Every day her phone rings with news of another friend, another neighbor, another community pillar dying from COVID-19, the disease delivered by the virus. And late last month, Williams learned she too tested positive, though she had no major symptoms. “It is all so disturbing to me," said Williams, 61. “Every time I look on TV and see those numbers, I'm like, 'My baby is in that number.'" 

Williams' grief is mirrored by many in this small, mostly black rural town in southwest Georgia about three hours from Atlanta. Albany became a virus epicenter in April, ranking along with New York City and New Orleans for most deaths per capita from coronavirus.

'I'm paying bills, and there's no income': As Georgia businesses remain divided over reopening, there's buzz at some hair salons, barbers

Dougherty County, where Albany is the sole incorporated city, has consistently led the state in deaths, reporting 125 as of Monday night and 1,543 confirmed cases, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health. The small county has recorded a staggering 1,716 cases per 100,000 people, compared to 278 cases per 100,000 in Fulton, the state's largest county.

With so much loss, the idea of resuming normal life in Albany and risking a deadly second spike in cases is unthinkable. Town officials, business owners and church pastors are collectively rejecting Gov. Brian Kemp’s decision to allow certain businesses to reopen and lift a shelter-in-place order. The people here say they will decide when their community can go out to dinner again, get a haircut at a local barbershop and worship together at church on Sunday. And they are not ready yet. 

"We are not going to listen to the federal and state people," said Glenn Singfield Sr., who owns two restaurants in Albany. "We are going to listen to our local health community because that’s where our trust is.”

Singfield said at least a dozen restaurant owners from Albany met recently to discuss reopening and how to do it safely. The group, he said, agreed they needed the green light from medical experts and a 14-day decline in new cases as recommended by the federal government.  More than 30 local church pastors also united, releasing a joint statement that they would not yet resume in-person church services. And the Albany City Commission signed a resolution urging citizens to continue to shelter in place. (me adding bold :) --good job, church leaders)

Pastor Daniel Simmons of Mt. Zion Baptist Church said it's important for the community to be of one accord. “For a lot of people, they feel pressure to reopen, financial pressure, peer pressure," said Simmons, who leads a congregation of 3,000. “You may have members who feel like we need to reopen, but then they look around and see pastors standing in unity … then you have some ground to stand on.”

Albany Mayor Bo Dorough said he is concerned about the lack of sufficient testing in his community and the threat of a second wave of cases for states that reopen too soon. He won't feel fully comfortable with reopening the city until there is an "extended period" without positive cases. “I understand the governor is having to make a difficult decision, I just think he made the wrong one," Dorough said. "The governor should have carved out an exception for places like Albany.”

A 'perfect storm' pummels Albany, a poorer, mostly black community

Late last week, downtown Albany showed few signs of life. On Thursday, six days after Kemp's easing of restrictions for salons, the inside of every beauty and barbershop was dark, styling chairs empty. A steel gate guarded the front of a shuttered pawn shop, and a man sat alone on a nearby corner bench eating a sandwich, his white N95 mask resting on his forehead. But there were signs of hope, too.One hanging from the outdoor patio in front of Singfield's restaurant The Flint said in white, black and red lettering, "WE WILL OVERCOME. Albany Strong." 

more at link

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Springfield VA is a far cry from Flint MI. I think we will be fine.

OK, I was honestly going to make a joke here but it's not really appropriate. So I will leave it that I hope you are safe. 

I have spent some time in SPringfield. I worked at the O'brien's Pit BBQ for a short period. It's a nice city. 

i'm back to thinking about a decades old dream of what would now be a 3rd career...the "pithy t-shirt" biz

one of my newest ideas: "i'm a lousy shot so you need to get within 6 feet of me"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

By "a long time" I hope you mean 10 more days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/northam-to-reopen-virginia/2020/05/04/7c65f518-8e13-11ea-a0bc-4e9ad4866d21_story.html

Northam says he’ll probably ease some restrictions in Virginia on May 15

I think "easing some restrictions" and opening up are two completely different things. The fact is, we can't keep people completely locked up until there's a vaccine, so slowly easing back into it without overwhelming hospitals is a good step. 

• Like 3

The key for this balance is not throwing people under the bus for staying home because the scientist think they should. 

That's opposite if what Georgia is doing, they trying to get off the hook for knowing just because folks open up doesn't mean the customers will come back. 

The country overwhelming isn't ready to get back to normal, no matter what restrictions are in place.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think "easing some restrictions" and opening up are two completely different things. The fact is, we can't keep people completely locked up until there's a vaccine, so slowly easing back into it without overwhelming hospitals is a good step. 

Oh, I understand, (even though Northam himself phrased it "we will reopen Virginia next Friday") but it doesn't engender confidence when you've said you'll start opening things up when VA meets its goal of 10,000 tests per day (and they've only gotten to 5,000 just recently) and that there needs to be a 2-week period of consistent decline in reported cases (and there has not been). 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Without knowing what your business is, start putting up signs if you have a store front and spread the word on social media. People will come prepared. 

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Without knowing what your business is, start putting up signs if you have a store front and spread the word on social media. People will come prepared. 

Although, "prepared" may mean "Armed, and with an attitude".  

Definitely put up a sign that very clearly states expectations.  Never underestimate people's willingness to listen to a sign, but not a person.  

Also, maybe provide masks to those that don't bring their own (and preferably wash them in between uses). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

i think this sort of response, at least for awhile, will be more common than many red state goper officials thought

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-back-in-business-barely-yall-as-malls-restaurants-empty/ar-BB13C2oo?li=BBnb7Kz

more at link

" Larry Teague faces additional charges of violating Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s executive order mandating all customers and employees wear face coverings inside retail stores. "

Although I think the premeditated murder charge might be more serious?

Tagging @Jumbo in case he wants to take this down.  

West Virginia Governor Jim Justice has denied dropping the f-bomb during a news conference about the state's response to the coronavirus, blaming the confusion on an "audio glitch."

Videos were posted online showing what sounded like Gov. Justice encouraging businesses that are to resume under plans to partly reopen the state to do so "only if they f*****g follow the guidelines to keep West Virginia safe."

Following the conference, Justice posted a short clip on social media denying he said the explicit word, adding he has never said the f-word in his entire life.

He says it's not a curse word, but I'll spoiler post it anyways.  Funniest thing I've seen today.

Spoiler

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Larry said:

Although, "prepared" may mean "Armed, and with an attitude".  

No doubt, but a local grocery store had signs up for telling people to have masks on if they were entering the store and while they didn't kick people out, it went from 40-50% wearing masks to damn near 100%.