Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

On 3/29/2022 at 12:51 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Random question for the wrestling fans here.  I was on twitter the other day, someone RT'd something that Ric Flair had tweeted so I went and looked at his profile and it says that he's a 16x Champ, which...wow, that's pretty awesome, 16 times a champ!  

But then I thought, "Does being a champ really matter when the **** is all scripted and pre-determined?"  I suppose it means that a lot of people making these decisions think highly of him as a draw, someone that the fans are excited about, but that's really it, right?

Absolutely matters to the wrestlers themselves, fake or not.  How over they get with the crowd as a baby face or heal means a lot along with their actual in ring talent.  In addition to a brutal schedule, traveling (for WWE they have to book their own rental cars, gyms to work out in, hotels, etc.), etc. and pay for it out of their own pockets. 

They are constantly traveling and doing up to 3 or 4 shows/tapings a week, do a lot of fan appearances, charity stuff, etc.  Look at it more as all the hard work they have to do to along with fan support just to get a push from the shot callers and get a title shot at any of the belts, win the belt, and hold the title x number of days, winning the belt x amount of times, etc.

One of the biggest achievements for a lot of wrestlers is just headlining Wrestlemania.  So for them, just like anyone in any profession, winning a championship (or being picked by management to do so, if that is how you want to look at it) equates to success in their career.  

They really are "actors", so the belts they "win" is their Oscar so to speak.

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

117092.jpeg.19cc5eae5fe05ff1ab9e8acad1f7edd6.jpeg

Unfortunately i lost my uncle to a motorcycle accident this weekend. 

Normally I wouldn't post this on extremeskins but I wanted to give him a little recognition that he deserves. 

He served in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot and like most combat veterans he was pretty closed off about it until later in life.

The stories of survival were just amazing, I'll tell a couple of them.

The second closest he came to the end was when he was shot down over the river, he came to in about 40 feet of water, unbuckled and when he regained his composure he sat still long enough to start floating so he could realize which way was up and he swam to the surface, hard to believe that was second.

The closest he came to the end was when he was in a run just about to fire rockets at the enemy. 

The rockets fired from those helicopters would erupt in an explosion of sparks when fired and just as he was about to pull the trigger his gunner said " I think we have a problem" so he aborted the run and found a place to land safely.

Once on the ground he discovered seven bullet holes in his fuel tank and jet fuel everywhere. 

He said if he had pulled the trigger nothing but dust would have come back down to earth.

Crazy to think how scary that had to have been for someone in their early twenties.

After Vietnam he returned home and served his hometown police department as a detective for 31 years specializing in domestic violence. 

He lived a life of service to his country and his community and he will be sorely missed.

Sorry for your loss man.  Sounds like your uncle was a really great man that loved our country and his community.  I lost my uncle on Christmas day, 2010 and I'm still not over it yet.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

They really are "actors", so the belts they "win" is their Oscar so to speak.

Exactly.

It's frustrating when I still hear the "wrestling is fake" (insult, so to speak).

All acting is fake.  Stage, movies, TV...but everyone enamores those people.  They are rich and beloved.

Wrestlers, doing live stunts, taking huge bumps on the mat and whatnot, getting injured, riding up and down the road...well they're just fake.

Please.

It's a TOUGH gig.

The belt holders should 100% be proud that they are some of the best at their craft.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Started watching Friday Night Lights the NBC series for the first time(its on Netflix). Only through about the first 5 or 6 episodes but I'm really enjoying it. I guess Matt Saresen is supposed to be Taylor Heinicke lolol.

It's a great show, I watched it real time when it aired and watched it again a few years ago. 

I used to watch a show on Syfy ages ago called Early Edition (had Kyle Chandler in it).  His character would get a newspaper each morning that was for one day into the future and they would try to prevent deaths, etc. from happening.  Can't stream it anywhere, had to buy the box set DVD for the entire series.

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It's a great show, I watched it real time when it aired and watched it again a few years ago. 

I used to watch a show on Syfy ages ago called Early Edition (had Kyle Chandler in it).  His character would get a newspaper each morning that was for one day into the future and they would try to prevent deaths, etc. from happening.  Can't stream it anywhere, had to buy the box set DVD for the entire series.

Whoa.  That was him?  I remember that show.  Not sure that I watched it, but remember the ads.  Probably was on CBS or something.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:25 PM, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Exactly.

It's frustrating when I still hear the "wrestling is fake" (insult, so to speak).

All acting is fake.  Stage, movies, TV...but everyone enamores those people.  They are rich and beloved.

Wrestlers, doing live stunts, taking huge bumps on the mat and whatnot, getting injured, riding up and down the road...well they're just fake.

Please.

It's a TOUGH gig.

The belt holders should 100% be proud that they are some of the best at their craft.

I've tried watching wrestling a few times and I just can't get into it. It's not for me.

That said, those folks put their bodies on the line every time, and the stunts are cool. Mad respect.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

My girlfriend just got me so bad. Called me and said she got a blood test and was positive and pregnant. She sounded so serious. My heart was beating like a million times a second. Then she texted me April Fools 🤯

That's ****ed up and crosses a line.  You should throw her cat off the balcony and say "April Fools."

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, abdcskins said:

My girlfriend just got me so bad. Called me and said she got a blood test and was positive and pregnant. She sounded so serious. My heart was beating like a million times a second. Then she texted me April Fools 🤯

I used that one this morning at work.  It was all girls...half had the "oh, ****" look & half had the confused "but you've been through menopause" look. :ols:

• Haha 3