Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Aight ES fam. Back again with my weekly VA numbers that's simply there to bounce off of all you and make me feel better.

I don't feel better. There's no getting around the fact that the caseload in Nova is increasing. There's a few caveats that I'll point out that make me feel slightly better, but our numbers are going up.

7D9R6Z5.png

Slightly assuring are the "cases by symptom onset", which is basically flat. Kinda suggests that test reporting isn't keeping up with when these people actually got sick.

MdEhjZJ.png

Lastly, from UVA's weekly report, things seem to be OK. the R0 number is less than 1.0 for the state and remans stable, if not even creeping lower. This is key if we expect the case load to actually decrease. The second image shows the economic impact. Surprise, lower income areas are harder hit and upper income areas are the lowest impacted.

hhYWrNq.png

uOHXFQv.png

• Thanks 1

Pandemic denial: Why some people can't accept Covid-19's realities

With so much information available about the severity of the coronavirus and the need to follow guidelines, some people still refuse to accept reality.

The denial manifests itself in many ways, whether that be refusing to wear a mask or attending large gatherings.

Using denial as a coping mechanism is not always a bad choice. Short-term, it gives someone the time to adjust to a situation. When it becomes a long-term crutch and puts others in harm's way, it can be dangerous.

There's also a psychology term called rationalism, which people often confuse with denial. It's a defense mechanism where people try to justify unacceptable behavior.

With over 30 years of experience in their profession, psychologists Eve and Mark Whitmore have spent recent years studying misinformation and confirmation bias. Eve Whitmore currently works as a clinical psychologist in Stow, Ohio, and Mark Whitmore works as an associate professor in the College of Business Administration at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio.

This conversation has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Click on the link for the interview

Coronavirus Cases Drop 46% In Parts Of S. Carolina With Mask Mandates Compared To Areas Without

Data continue to show that mask mandates help control the spread of coronavirus, with the latest example coming from South Carolina, where the state Department of Health and Environmental Control announced Wednesday that parts of the state under public mask-wearing mandates registered a 46.3% drop in coronavirus cases in the four weeks after they were introduced compared to areas of the state that are not.

Click on the link for the full article

30 minutes ago, China said:

Coronavirus Cases Drop 46% In Parts Of S. Carolina With Mask Mandates Compared To Areas Without

Data continue to show that mask mandates help control the spread of coronavirus, with the latest example coming from South Carolina, where the state Department of Health and Environmental Control announced Wednesday that parts of the state under public mask-wearing mandates registered a 46.3% drop in coronavirus cases in the four weeks after they were introduced compared to areas of the state that are not.

durr.gif.a9363521a8992ecacb8484dc85c41c21.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’ve been giving serious consideration to moving back to NoVa from Texas as well. Don’t love it down here.

I'm stuck here, can't afford to live in Nova. So I take every precaution I can.

On another note, several police officers were shot right up the street from me. They are in the hospital. The shooter has barricaded himself in a house. Helicopters flying all around.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Nooo! Don't give Cheeturd any ideas.

48 minutes ago, visionary said:

You shouldn't say that about two strong, opinionated, smart, black, women...I kid. They were useful to the GOP until they weren't, can't wait for Candace Owens to suffer the same fate. You see how Herman Cain was treated, even after death they proverbially disrespect what dignity he took with him to the otherside.

Why would anyone go to Florida for Labor Day?  It's unbearably hot, and the sun is bright enough to burn out your retinas if you don't have sunglasses.  Plus, the skates/rays come into the shallows to breed so it's dangerous to go in the water unless you shuffle your feet (I know i stepped on one and got stung when I was there around Labor Day around 25 years ago - lesson learned the hard way).  Not to mention the water is warm as bathwater so not enjoyable or cooling at all.

Oh, I know they want to stand on asphalt in Orlando where there isn't even an ocean breeaze, and hang out elbow to elbow with other idiots.  Sounds delightful.

Nearly 1 million Americans plan to fly to Florida over Labor Day weekend. An epidemiologist warns they could undo efforts to contain COVID-19 just before schools reopen.

Roughly 6 million Americans plan to fly during the upcoming Labor Day weekend, many of them to Florida and other "hotspot" areas struggling to contain the COVID-19 pandemic — despite CDC guidance saying the best way to protect oneself and others is to stay home. 

Data collected by travel itinerary app TripIt show that while total flight bookings over the holiday weekend are down 66% compared to 2019, an unusually high proportion of those who have decided to fly over the holiday are headed to Florida, Arizona, Nevada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, all of which are struggling to rein in the COVID-19 pandemic.

Those beach retreats and weekends in the sun, however tempting after months of monotony, lockdowns, and quarantines, threaten to roll back progress at a critical moment in America's fight against the pandemic.

581d123564fed2590724894c21a874fc

• Sad 1