Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

14 hours ago, PCS said:

That's our governor!!  So proud of him. He keeps finding new ways to be an idiot.

And just to add some clarity - he did not sue the city of Atlanta. Nor did he sue them directly about the mask requirement. He sued Mayor Lance-Bottoms and 2 city council members to get her/them stop saying she/they had the right to put in the mask requirement regardless of the states position. So it was just to keep them quiet.

Should be noted the law suit came the day AFTER trump was here and our Mayor called him out for not wearing a mask when he got off the plane and spoke to people. At the time our Mayor was also on the short list for VP - near the bottom but on the list. Is all this a coincidence??  Me thinks not.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Llevron said:

They are the worst. I dont wanna hear that **** from them. 

They check a lot of boxes for folks most likely to have a ventilator down their windpipe, I don't get what they or doing, it could kill them.  Money worth it?  Seen them talk in person, they are just as bad as you think they are.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

They check a lot of boxes for folks most likely to have a ventilator down their windpipe, I don't get what they or doing, it could kill them.  Money worth it?  Seen them talk in person, they are just as bad as you think they are.

I cant say all the bad things I hope happen to them. But I can say that I hope every soda they ever open is already shaken up and that every morning they wake up with 4 feet of snow just on their property. 

• Haha 6

So anyone here in Montgomery County MD been to the gyms recently?  It is eating at me that I haven't gone to the gym since March and I have slacked off of using those bands.  The bands just do not feel the same and I really want to go to the gym.

Since we have a newborn in the house now my wife is super against me going to the gym right now.  I just want to go and at least TRY to workout and if it's too crowded, I will leave.  Like I'm not going to be there if I'm uncomfortable.  I also would go at a strange time like 10 or 11am where chances are the place will be empty anyways.  And they are taking precautions at my gym where you have to wear masks, limited capacity, spaced out equipment, etc.  But she still doesn't get it.

I'm just curious if anyone around the area has gone to the gym and how it has been for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

So anyone here in Montgomery County MD been to the gyms recently?  It is eating at me that I haven't gone to the gym since March and I have slacked off of using those bands.  The bands just do not feel the same and I really want to go to the gym.

Since we have a newborn in the house now my wife is super against me going to the gym right now.  I just want to go and at least TRY to workout and if it's too crowded, I will leave.  Like I'm not going to be there if I'm uncomfortable.  I also would go at a strange time like 10 or 11am where chances are the place will be empty anyways.  And they are taking precautions at my gym where you have to wear masks, limited capacity, spaced out equipment, etc.  But she still doesn't get it.

I'm just curious if anyone around the area has gone to the gym and how it has been for them.

I don't live in your area (Northern VA here), but I went back to my local gym a while ago when things first started opening again and quickly decided not to return.

Don't get me wrong, the people who owned and worked at the gym were doing everything they could to make it as safe as possible. But as Douglas Adams wrote: “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”

Many of the people who were there to work out were more or less ignoring the safety protocols the staff had put in place. I just didn't feel safe there. I had been working out with some dumbbells and kettlebells at home for a little while which were ok, but I missed barbell lifts. So I made a decision to buy a power cage, power bar, and a good set of weight plates and it's been a great investment.

A home gym setup is not cheap up front, but you can build it over time and it will be well worth it in the long run IMO. Plus you never have to wait for equipment or deal with the usual morons/assholes/gym bros/selfie idiots, and you can go at any pace you like. Only downside is that if you were using lots of machines for accessory work, that's sort of out the window (unless you really want to lay down some more coin). But there are plenty of exercises you can do with barbells, dumbbells, and kettlebells to make up for it. 

Of course this also assumes you have space as well (a garage usually).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't live in your area (Northern VA here), but I went back to my local gym a while ago when things first started opening again and quickly decided not to return.

Don't get me wrong, the people who owned and worked at the gym were doing everything they could to make it as safe as possible. But as Douglas Adams wrote: “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”

Many of the people who were there to work out were more or less ignoring the safety protocols the staff had put in place. I just didn't feel safe there. I had been working out with some dumbbells and kettlebells at home for a little while which were ok, but I missed barbell lifts. So I made a decision to buy a power cage, power bar, and a good set of weight plates and it's been a great investment.

A home gym setup is not cheap up front, but you can build it over time and it will be well worth it in the long run IMO. Plus you never have to wait for equipment or deal with the usual morons/assholes/gym bros/selfie idiots, and you can go at any pace you like. Only downside is that if you were using lots of machines for accessory work, that's sort of out the window (unless you really want to lay down some more coin). But there are plenty of exercises you can do with barbells, dumbbells, and kettlebells to make up for it. 

Of course this also assumes you have space as well (a garage usually).

Thanks for this.

I can see what you are saying about idiots there.  Which is why I kind of want to go and see how I feel, and if I feel fine, I'll stick around and if not, then I won't.

Where did you get the home gym stuff? Everything seems to be sold out around me.  I also don't really have space for it.  I don't want to do the garage thing because it will be too hot/cold most of the time to actually workout in mind.  Plus I have a bunch of other **** in there.

I also feel like I'd need a ton of dumbells.  I pretty much use everyting at the gym ranging from like 25lbs up to 100lbs.  Obviously that isn't realistic for home.

But having a power rack with a bar and a bench that inclines would be awesome for home use.  I could do most of the heavy lifts I like doing.  However, since it isn't everything I like to do, I feel if I did something it would be temporary at home and once gyms are back up I'd rather go there.

21 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Thanks for this.

I can see what you are saying about idiots there.  Which is why I kind of want to go and see how I feel, and if I feel fine, I'll stick around and if not, then I won't.

Where did you get the home gym stuff? Everything seems to be sold out around me.  I also don't really have space for it.  I don't want to do the garage thing because it will be too hot/cold most of the time to actually workout in mind.  Plus I have a bunch of other **** in there.

I also feel like I'd need a ton of dumbells.  I pretty much use everyting at the gym ranging from like 25lbs up to 100lbs.  Obviously that isn't realistic for home.

But having a power rack with a bar and a bench that inclines would be awesome for home use.  I could do most of the heavy lifts I like doing.  However, since it isn't everything I like to do, I feel if I did something it would be temporary at home and once gyms are back up I'd rather go there.

Yeah it's definitely worth it to check and see how comfortable you feel. I'm sure it varies from gym to gym.

As far as buying the gym stuff you're right that most places are sold out nowadays; I bought all my stuff online. I purchased the power rack on Amazon actually. It's quite good quality, sturdy, and a reasonable price for my needs (I'm far from a competition power lifter so I don't have a need for a super top of the line professional $2,000 cage).

Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage with Optional Lat Pull-down Attachment and Adjustable Leg Hold-down

For the barbell and plates I bought a nice barbell and some Troy machined plates on a site called Tredder, www.tredder.com. They have a pretty good selection of stuff. Due to COVID it still takes a while to ship (took almost a month for mine to arrive) but at least they have the stuff.

For dumbbells in the home I'd invest in a pair of quality adjustable ones (either threaded handle with slide on weights or the ones that have the adjustment built in). I have the threaded handle ones and they work fine, but more of a pain than the other kind. That being said, most of those only go up to a certain weight...mine only go up to a max of about 75lbs per dumbbell. For something over that you'd probably need to buy dedicated heavier ones.

As far as space you don't need a full power cage like that. You can just buy a rack that would work fine and take up much less space. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah it's definitely worth it to check and see how comfortable you feel. I'm sure it varies from gym to gym.

As far as buying the gym stuff you're right that most places are sold out nowadays; I bought all my stuff online. I purchased the power rack on Amazon actually. It's quite good quality, sturdy, and a reasonable price for my needs (I'm far from a competition power lifter so I don't have a need for a super top of the line professional $2,000 cage).

Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage with Optional Lat Pull-down Attachment and Adjustable Leg Hold-down

For the barbell and plates I bought a nice barbell and some Troy machined plates on a site called Tredder, www.tredder.com. They have a pretty good selection of stuff. Due to COVID it still takes a while to ship (took almost a month for mine to arrive) but at least they have the stuff.

For dumbbells in the home I'd invest in a pair of quality adjustable ones (either threaded handle with slide on weights or the ones that have the adjustment built in). I have the threaded handle ones and they work fine, but more of a pain than the other kind. That being said, most of those only go up to a certain weight...mine only go up to a max of about 75lbs per dumbbell. For something over that you'd probably need to buy dedicated heavier ones.

As far as space you don't need a full power cage like that. You can just buy a rack that would work fine and take up much less space. 

That is a pretty solid rack though.  I like that lat pulldown thing cause you could also do tricep work with it.  

I would like a rack like that if i did get something because I'd want to squat and shrug and that rack would help with that for sure.  

If I didn't have arcade games in my basement maybe I could have space but I really don't know if I could cut it lol.

Ben Carson and the My Pillow guy are touting a botanical extract, oleandrin, as a "cure" for COVID-19.  Pillow Guy arranged for the company's head to meet with Trump, and then sat in on the meeting. Trump has since touted it and urged the FDA to approve it.  There have been no clinical trials done.

Meanwhile, My Pillow Guy has bought a financial stake in the company. And they're trying to get it on the shelves by pushing the FDA to approve it as a "dietary supplement."

"The involvement of the Secretary of HUD and MyPillow.com in pushing a dubious product at the highest levels should give Americans no comfort at night about their health and safety during a raging pandemic," said a senior administration official.

https://www.axios.com/trump-covid-oleandrin-9896f570-6cd8-4919-af3a-65ebad113d41.html

So it really boils down to this... who do you trust for reliable information during a deadly global pandemic?

A. Dr._Anthony_Fauci_CC_March_2020.png

or

B. 1*cUwsyAawEb6qiKOjDREAGA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, purbeast said:

I’ve been going back to the gym here in Springfield. It’s strange. When it first opened back up, nobody was wearing masks while working out. Slowly enough though, more and more people have taken to wearing masks even while working out. It’s somewhere around 50% or more who mask up here. Say what you want about the effectiveness of masks, but I believe that they’ll help keep you safe in addition to protecting others.

I am fairly comfortable going to the gym now. Everyone is mostly spaced out away from each other. I’ve been going 3/4 times a week.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

So it really boils down to this... who do you trust for reliable information during a deadly global pandemic?

Every right wing huckster with a radio show chucks bogus dietary supplements to their audience so this is really no surprise that we went from HCQ, which did not pass any clinical trials, to dietary supplements, which don't require clinical trials.

Now they can sell fantasy pills to bozos, make tons of money and kill lots of ignorant people along the way. The ultimate GOP fantasy scenario when you think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clietas said:

This my pillow guy and Anderson Cooper interview on CNN now is great. In a crazy insane kinda way.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just came here to post this.  Pure gold.

Complete train wreck. This guy is the epitome of a Trump person. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Complete train wreck. This guy is the epitome of a Trump person. 

This guy will just not shut the **** up!!  Good grief! I would have cut off his sound.  I hate that bully mentality of just talking over others to drown others out. What a ****ing clown. 

Also related to something the dude said in that interview...I swear these Trump people are pushing me more and more from being an agnostic towards being an atheist every day.

Because if there is a god, I cannot fathom how Trump and his people aren't immediately struck by lightning whenever they utter the word Christianity.

It's almost too satirical to be satire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, gbear said:

So the study he read was from 2016...and the study was a substance to help prevent COVID 19?  I guess nobody mentioned to him the 19 is for 2019?

I think the study he's trying to push was actually about whether or not it's safe for humans to consume and doesn't actually have anything to do with efficacy against any coronavirus strains (certainly not one that didn't exist until 3 years later).

He's a pure unfiltered snake oil salesman who's using a bait and switch to try and swindle people out of their money. Anderson was right on the money in pretty much every point he made. 

And he's absolutely 100% representative of the kind of people Trump attracts and who hang off of him.

• Thanks 5