Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

it’s interesting isn’t it?

i always wonder if it’s because I’ve somehow indicated that I’m like them, or if they literally just assume that because I’m white I must be like them. 

The latter

It's not a thought process 

• Like 4

Just now, LD0506 said:

The latter

It's not a thought process 

Makes sense. Considering their views on things basically revolves around all <whatever race> being <whatever it is they’re saying> 

naturally I guess that extends to them thinking all white people are the same 

also goes along with what we see in some videos where a white guy holds a BLM sign in Arkansas and he gets called a traitor lol

• Like 1

Florida sets new single-day record with 277 deaths; Over 542,000 cases of COVID-19

According to the Department of Health, there were 542,792 total cases of COVID-19 in Florida as of Tuesday morning. The number of cases rose by 5,831 from the previous day.

At least 8,685 people have died from COVID-19 in Florida, as 277 new deaths were reported overnight.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I find it odd that he feels so comfortable saying this stuff to you. 

While I'm white, I'm also taken aback sometimes with what white folks say to me, as if I'm just like them when it comes to this type of stuff.

this is off topic and a tangent but I wanted to reply. Tl;dr I’m do what I have to to get paid

I wanna say part of it is my fault. It’s really not but I wanna say it. 

I make it easy because, as I have said before, I’m not as honest in real life as I am here. Life in and surviving in this country is a game I am forced to play and I will play to win regardless of if I think it’s fair or not. So when my supervisor or colleagues approach me with **** like this, I give one of my easily faked and canned answers that really mean nothing. I test the waters a little bit with resistance when I first encounter someone. But I have learned how to see patterns and become “compliant” long before I’m outed at work. Lots of times they have no idea how I feel about them. So I understand how they feel comfortable. I’m pretty sure I responded to him BLM thing with “well yea, any large crowd is going to spread this stuff during a pandemic” and the PG county thing with “Lol oh don’t be like that!!”. Dude has no idea I spent my life I PG. grew up here. Watched it change. He doesn’t need too either. 

and I don’t bemoan them for it btw. I’m not offended enough to risk turbulence in the workplace. And even if I was, it’s almost a part of the job. For me my job descriptions include unwritten “random white people ****” that I know I’m going to have to deal with to get the check. It’s just part of the game. 

So yea, partly my fault. I could tell them the truth but I would rather make my money and not get black balled from promotions cause I have a bad attitude. 

here tho I can be the dick I really am deep in my soul. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It can happen to anyone, but being white certainly would make you more predisposed to it. I've had quite a few awkward conversations that would not have gone the way they did, were I not deemed "One of the good ones" by my more friendly demeanor and non threatening dress style

I've lost count the number of black people that have tried to start talking to me about how much they hate white people without knowing I'm half-white. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, tshile said:

Makes sense. Considering their views on things basically revolves around all <whatever race> being <whatever it is they’re saying> 

naturally I guess that extends to them thinking all white people are the same 

also goes along with what we see in some videos where a white guy holds a BLM sign in Arkansas and he gets called a traitor lol

I catch the same thing from black people though if it makes you feel better. Like I have to side with certain arguments because black. Like people were ready to burn Terry Cruse alive for some **** he said and I remember explaining that I don’t think he was wrong. 

Jessie Smollette or whatever his name was (the they tried to lynch me guy) and Kanye west actually help this though. Everyone hates them. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I've lost count the number of black people that have tried to start talking to me about how much they hate white people without knowing I'm half-white. 

Yeah, interracial discussion is are a damn powder keg. Unfortunately I get where Llevron is coming from. You gotta master the art of saying nothing in a nice, sociable manner.

Used to mention that I grew up along the PG/Charles County border in Waldorf during white flight, and holy **** did I learn a lot going through that

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Used to mention that I grew up along the PG/Charles County border in Waldorf during white flight, and holy **** did I learn a lot going through that

As a white guy living in WV (albeit 3 mins across the state line) people always trip when I tell them I grew up in PG County and Waldorf.  In fact, on topic with the thread...

I play in a golf league, and got grouped some older white dudes a month or so ago, and they were talking about all the current events and while you could tell they didn't want to go full MAGA, not knowing me, they mentioned "MD isn't bad except PG county, but none of them will wear a mask, because they hate authority anyways".  I went on to tell them that I grew up in that area but have lived around predominantly white people the last 25 years of my life and many of them "hate authority" as well and refuse to wear masks, so it's not a color issue.  Dude actually responded "different reasons though, infringing on our liberties is one thing, PG county people shoot cops for fun".  Last time I played with that group.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

this is off topic and a tangent but I wanted to reply. To;dr I’m do what I have to to get paid

I wanna say part of it is my fault. It’s really not but I wanna say it. 

I make it easy because, as I have said before, I’m not as honest in real life as I am here. Life in and surviving in this country is a game I am forced to play and I will play to win regardless of if I think it’s fair or not. So when my supervisor or colleagues approach me with **** like this, I give one of my easily faked and canned answers that really mean nothing. I test the waters a little bit with resistance when I first encounter someone. But I have learned how to see patterns and become “compliant” long before I’m outed at work. Lots of times they have no idea how I feel about them. So I understand how they feel comfortable. I’m pretty sure I responded to him BLM thing with “well yea, any large crowd is going to spread this stuff during a pandemic” and the PG county thing with “Lol oh don’t be like that!!”. Dude has no idea I spent my life I PG. grew up here. Watched it change. He doesn’t need too either. 

and I don’t bemoan them for it btw. I’m not offended enough to risk turbulence in the workplace. And even if I was, it’s almost a part of the job. For me my job descriptions include unwritten “random white people ****” that I know I’m going to have to deal with to get the check. It’s just part of the game. 

So yea, partly my fault. I could tell them the truth but I would rather make my money and not get black balled from promotions cause I have a bad attitude. 

here tho I can be the dick I really am deep in my soul. 

I really feel you about this. I was a Lesbian, in the closet, from the time I left DEC where I was out. I worked with a lot of ex military men and their cohorts who felt it necessary to practice misogyny and homophobia out in the open. I never talked about dating or anything like that, just said that my job was my life. Everything was as you said, safely neutral and non-threatening, all to make a living. Now I live in Texas which is much the same, I'm again closeted. So it's a good thing that I'm an introvert, and self isolating because Covid-19. At least I can be myself at home!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah, interracial discussion is are a damn powder keg. Unfortunately I get where Llevron is coming from. You gotta master the art of saying nothing in a nice, sociable manner.

Yea, I dont let anyway get away with insulting my mom, lets put it that way. Even my dad's side of the family, which has happened as well.

The further south I lived in DC suburbs, worse it got growing up, id never raise my kids in Stafford.

I dont want to derail, I've talked about this in other threads. Think it goes without saying a lot folks expect you to agree with them jus by looking at you, followed by mixed results.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Florida sets new single-day record with 277 deaths; Over 542,000 cases of COVID-19

According to the Department of Health, there were 542,792 total cases of COVID-19 in Florida as of Tuesday morning. The number of cases rose by 5,831 from the previous day.

At least 8,685 people have died from COVID-19 in Florida, as 277 new deaths were reported overnight.

Note. Those numbers only count people who's permanent legal residence address is Florida. People here temporarily, even people who spend six months a year here, are removed from the statistics by our Republican Governor, who is not in any way working to falsify the actual data. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont want to derail, I've talked about this in other threads. Think it goes without saying a lot folks expect you to agree with them jus by looking at you, followed by mixed results.

Tell you what, people say the absolute dumbest **** to their servers/bartenders...one guy was all in a dither because he thinks they're closing the mall across the street "to build more apartments for *under his breath* black people" 🙄

Imagine his surprise when I told him there were black people in my family. 

• Like 5

Winter is coming: Why America’s window of opportunity to beat back Covid-19 is closing

The good news: The United States has a window of opportunity to beat back Covid-19 before things get much, much worse.

The bad news: That window is rapidly closing. And the country seems unwilling or unable to seize the moment.

Winter is coming. Winter means cold and flu season, which is all but sure to complicate the task of figuring out who is sick with Covid-19 and who is suffering from a less threatening respiratory tract infection. It also means that cherished outdoor freedoms that link us to pre-Covid life — pop-up restaurant patios, picnics in parks, trips to the beach — will soon be out of reach, at least in northern parts of the country.

Unless Americans use the dwindling weeks between now and the onset of “indoor weather” to tamp down transmission in the country, this winter could be Dickensianly bleak, public health experts warn.

“I think November, December, January, February are going to be tough months in this country without a vaccine,” said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How has Trump not said something about the Russian vaccine yet???

Putin probably didn't promise him any in bulk, so doesn't want to get caught flat-footed.

"Dems won't let me get us any, they using the F-D-A...blah...blah...blah..."

Jus our luck if he gets one himself and he's one of the 6 it actually works on. Or maybe Putin knows its garbage and trying to win over his own country, "you don't want this, Donald, trust me."

17 minutes ago, China said:

Winter is coming: Why America’s window of opportunity to beat back Covid-19 is closing

The good news: The United States has a window of opportunity to beat back Covid-19 before things get much, much worse.

The bad news: That window is rapidly closing. And the country seems unwilling or unable to seize the moment.

Winter is coming. Winter means cold and flu season, which is all but sure to complicate the task of figuring out who is sick with Covid-19 and who is suffering from a less threatening respiratory tract infection. It also means that cherished outdoor freedoms that link us to pre-Covid life — pop-up restaurant patios, picnics in parks, trips to the beach — will soon be out of reach, at least in northern parts of the country.

Unless Americans use the dwindling weeks between now and the onset of “indoor weather” to tamp down transmission in the country, this winter could be Dickensianly bleak, public health experts warn.

“I think November, December, January, February are going to be tough months in this country without a vaccine,” said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

It's why I'm doing everything I need to do now, before things get worse. During those months, I don't plan on leaving the house, except to get groceries or to see my dad/pick up my nephew.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2020 at 7:28 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Firm no.

{Sturgis Photos}

Update:

Sturgis motorcycle rally attendees lounge in bikinis, pack into bars, and mock mask wearers: 'It's like COVID does not exist here'

Bill Converse had never attended the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally before, but this year he drove 29 hours from Georgia to sell his conservative pro-second amendment novelty T-shirts at the famous annual South Dakota event.

The 10-day rally brought hundreds of thousands of bikers to the small city of Sturgis, in the middle of a pandemic. While more than half of the local residents wanted the event to be canceled, city officials knew people would show up anyway and did their best to prepare. 

Since Friday, visitors have packed into bars, used communal Slip n Slides, and — for the most part — flouted advice from local officials to wear masks. 

Between the event kickoff Friday and early Monday morning, there were nearly 90 drug arrests and 286 total citations within city limits, according to statistics provided by the South Dakota state highway patrol.

"It's like COVID does not exist here, to be honest with you," Converse told Insider Monday.

Converse said he enjoys the "refreshing" camaraderie at the rally, where attendees "love our country, love our flag, and love our president." 

Converse is one of the many visitors to Sturgis who believes that concerns about the novel coronavirus, which has killed more than 163,000 people in the United States and more than 732,000 globally, are overblown.

"I've never met anybody and I do gun shows every single weekend. I'm in face-to-face contact with thousands of people every weekend from all over the country, I've never come down with it. Nobody that I know at any of the gun shows have come down with it," he said. "I would say a lot of the people out here aren't convinced that the numbers are accurate. There's a lot of suspicion from the conservative side that the numbers are skewed to support an agenda that's against our president." 

Edit:  and then there's this:  

But not everyone is on board with the false claim that the virus is a myth. Real Pinard, a biker from Arizona, said the "stubborn" belief that COVID-19 is a hoax is rampant at the rally and not based in reality. 

On Sunday, Pinard said he visited a local bar but left after people there were participating in a "sneeze contest." 

"It was to see who can sneeze the furthest out," he said. "People were laughing and applauding. I said what the heck, they think it's fake," Pinard said, referring to COVID-19. 

Edited by China
  • Sad 5