Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

That's true, but aren't there people above those good scientists who may potentially override objections and push something potentially unsound for political reasons? I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but we've already seen that Trump is 100% willing to use whatever POTUS powers he has to try and win this election. Would we really be surprised if he tried the same thing with the FDA?

The clinical trial data will be publicly released. If it shows something not working, the scientific community will know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Covid-19 death toll rivals fatality rate during 1918 flu epidemic, researchers say

The increase in deaths in New York City during the early months of the covid-19 pandemic rivals the death toll there at the peak of the 1918 flu pandemic, according to an analysis published Thursday.

The comparison, published online in the medical journal JAMA Network Open, found that the number of deaths from all causes was roughly equal during the two peak months of the flu epidemic and the first 61 days of the current outbreak.

The H1N1 flu pandemic eventually killed 50 million people a century ago, about 675,000 of them in the United States. The current pandemic has claimed at least 746,000 lives worldwide, about 162,000 of them in the United States, according to a tally kept by The Washington Post.

“For anyone who doesn’t understand the magnitude of what we’re living through, this pandemic is comparable in its effect on mortality to what everyone agrees is the previous worst pandemic,” said Jeremy S. Faust, an emergency physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston who led the team that conducted the data review.

There were 31,589 deaths from all causes in New York during the peak period of the flu epidemic, about the same as the 33,465 tallied in the 61 days after the first death on March 11 of this year, the analysis shows.

New York in 1918 had a population of 5.5 million people, so the death rate of 287 per 100,000 person-months was greater than the 202 of the current covid-19 pandemic. Person-months is a way of measuring the number of deaths in a population during a specific period of time.

But the current outbreak has seen a more dramatic rise in “excess deaths” — the number of fatalities above what would be expected in a normal year. With better medical care, public health, hygiene and medicines such as antibiotics, New York typically has about half the death rate of a century earlier — about 50 per person-month instead of 100. So the current outbreak has quadrupled the death rate, while the flu pandemic nearly tripled it.

Click on the link for the full article

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

There's no way that makes it here, either.  It answers a lot of questions if it does, but I haven't even seen Trump talk about getting it here. Did I miss it, is he even talking about it at all? 

Everyone is saying its not safe, it doesn't belong in this convo unless all the sudden it ends up in the States, imo.  They might as well invented time travel, if it doesn't travel through time, its a giant spinning bird cage.

I do believe I saw the US declined their vaccine. 
So credit there for that.

~Bang

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm not getting vaccinated with the first one that comes out, or any one that doesn't go thorough testing for that matter. We already know that Trump is going to rush out some **** in October, his October Surprise this season. It's going to be bogus. 

I would prefer to be vaccinated by Dr. Fauci himself. I know that's not a reasonable request, so I will wait for his say-so. (And even then, I'll give it a month or 6...I've been cooped up this long, right?)

Nothin but time. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
syntax
  • Like 1

Quick, someone get some for Trump, stat!

Bolivia's lawmakers have approved 'Miracle Mineral Solution' — a toxic bleach — as a treatment for COVID-19. Only the president can stop it becoming law

BB17Zn7F.img?h=400&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

© REUTERS/Danilo Balderrama A pharmacist holds a medicine containing chlorine dioxide at the Farmacia Boliviana in Cochabamba, Bolivia, July 21, 2020. 

Bolivia's lower house of parliament has passed a bill legalizing chlorine dioxide — a toxic bleach — as a COVID-19 treatment. 

Chlorine dioxide is a type of industrial bleach commonly used as a disinfectant, or to bleach paper products. In recent years a movement of conspiracy theorists and alternative medicine advocates have hailed it as a miracle cure capable of curing virtually any illness.

They call it "Miracle Mineral Solution," or MMS. 

The movement is fast gaining influence in Latin America, where countries including Bolivia are struggling to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.

Edited by China
  • Sad 1

This Inexpensive New Smart Mask Can Amplify the Speaker’s Voice and Translate Speech into 8 Languages

A Japanese robotics company has developed a smart mask that can amplify voices, transcribe dictation, and translate speech into eight different languages—and they will be available to the public as soon as September.

The C-Mask was designed by Japanese tech startup Donut Robotics to improve communication between airline workers and supermarket employees during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The mask, which is Bluetooth-connected to the user’s phone, is capable of translating Japanese into Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian, English, Spanish, and French.

After concluding another successful round of crowdfunding in July, Donut Robotics says their first 5,000 to 10,000 masks will be distributed across Japan in December. Each of the masks is expected to cost between $40 to $50.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Digging a little deeper into the 3 month thing...

A study published in the journal Nature found T cells in people recovering from Covid-19 and that these T cells seemed to recognize the N-proteins in the SARS-Cov2. So even if antibodies were to disappear from your blood a few months after an infection, T cells could potentially hang around for longer and provide some defense against getting infected again.

FULL ARTICLE HERE: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/08/15/how-long-are-you-immune-after-covid-19-coronavirus-here-is-what-cdc-now-suggests/#469b20fc78f0

• Like 3