Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Cases surge in France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

In recent days France, Germany and Italy have each experienced their highest daily case counts since the spring, and Spain finds itself in the midst of a major outbreak. Government authorities and public health officials are warning that the continent is entering a new phase in the pandemic.

To be sure, the new cases in Europe are still quite low compared to parts of the United States, according to a Times database. For example, Florida has reported an average of 147 new cases a day per 100,000 people over the past week, whereas Italy is seeing an average of six new cases a day per 100,000 people. Germany is seeing nine new cases a day per every 100,000 and France is seeing 14.

But there are growing concerns that with the summer drawing to a close, the virus could find a new foothold as people move their lives indoors and the fall flu season begins.

The increase in cases in Europe, as in many other parts of the world, is being driven in part by young people: The proportion of people age 15 to 24 who are infected in Europe has risen from around 4.5 percent to 15 percent in the last five months, according to the World Health Organization.

Click on the link for the full article

Here's our VA bad news Coronavirus Sunday. Complete with pictures!

Basically, we're not doing well enough, especially here in Nova. We've gone above a 1.0 R0 number so we can expect cases to continue to rise. Even the metric that I liked "Cases by symptom onset" appears to be level at best. The case load in Nova is gradually increasing. As you can see in UVA's model, it's simply expected to continue that increase until the end of their model range in late October. If there is to be any positive remarks, it's that deaths are VERY low. In Nova, we've had 12 deaths in the last 30 days. Essentially speaking, almost nobody is dying from Covid in Nova... but that's a "lowest common denominator" argument, one you'd hear Trump making. That's the only silver lining I can come up with. Oh, and also, the last slide will show that Covid isn't effecting white people like it is hispanic or black people in Nova. So I guess that's cool if you're white...

OSLQP5x.png

yuirtfp.png

0yCjdVR.png

SsXUdPB.png

zQYYiHZ.png

aGBot6G.png

HASTM8i.png

68wZJWx.png

Fairfax County Cases:

MvrmOYg.png

Fairfax County Deaths:

E3XIvi2.png

Edited by Springfield

Oh, and also, in Fairfax County, there appear to be 3,407 cases in the 30-39 age demo (of which I am a part of). 7 Deaths. So a 0.2% death rate in traced cases. If you includes EVERYONE who is under the age of 50 in Fairfax County then you have a death rate of 0.19% death rate. Not saying that you aren't gonna die if you catch it... but pretty much you aren't gonna die unless you're old af.

Health officials in 3 states have traced new COVID-19 cases to the Sturgis motorcycle rally where hundreds of thousands of bikers gathered

Less than a week after the close of a massive 10-day motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota, health officials in the state, as well as in Nebraska and Minnesota, have traced multiple new COVID-19 cases back to the event.

The rally, which drew hundreds of thousands of bikers to Sturgis, has been connected with 15 new COVID-19 cases in Nebraska, seven in Minnesota, and several new cases in South Dakota, according to CNN. Social distancing and mask-wearing were relatively sparse at the rally, according to The New York Times.

Church Once Under Scrutiny for Defying Public Health Orders Announces In-Person Services at 4 County Locations

A church that has previously been under fire for defying public health orders held several in-person gatherings at four San Diego County locations on Sunday.

Awaken Church said several services will be held Sunday for its locations in San Diego, Chula Vista, El Cajon and Carlsbad in honor of its 15th anniversary.

On the church’s website, it states that while it will provide face masks and multiple seating and viewing options, it will not mandate facial coverings and social distancing because it “trusts each person” to make the decision they feel is best for them.

Public health guidelines state places of worship may host services outdoors with precautions put in place, such as mandatory social distancing and facial coverings. However, Awaken Church has acknowledged on its website that it may be responsible for any repercussions the county may have.

“Current policy holds the church and not the individual members responsible for any infraction, and we have chosen to continue forward with our reopening,” the church said on its website.

The county said it was not impressed with the church's decision to defy public health ordres.

“The state and local health orders are intended to prevent the spread of the virus and keep people safe," the county said in a statement to NBC 7. "We are disappointed to see Awaken Church openly disregard the health orders and ignore existing guidance to provide their services in a safer manner. 

Rural Hospitals Are Sinking Under COVID-19 Financial Pressures

Jerome Antone says he is one of the lucky ones.

After becoming ill with COVID-19, Antone was hospitalized only 65 miles away from his small Alabama town. He is the mayor of Georgiana — population 1,700.

"It hit our rural community so rabid," Antone says. The town's hospital closed last year. If hospitals in nearby communities don't have beds available, "you may have to go four or five hours away."

As COVID-19 continues to spread, an increasing number of rural communities in the U.S. find themselves without their hospital or on the brink of losing already cash-strapped facilities.

Eighteen rural hospitals closed last year and the first three months of 2020 were "really big months," says Mark Holmes, director of the Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Many of the losses are in Southern states, including Florida and Texas, he says, and more than 170 rural hospitals have closed nationwide since 2005, according to data collected by the Sheps Center.

It's a dangerous scenario. "We know that a closure leads to higher mortality pretty quickly" among the populations served, says Holmes, who is also a professor at UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health. "That's pretty clear."

Um, no.

Please remain calm while the robot swabs your nose

If you’ve been tested for COVID-19 then you’ve probably experienced the unpleasantness of a nasal swab. Someone takes a long-handled cotton swab and sticks it up your nose — way up your nose — until it reaches the back of the mucus-cave that is your nasal cavity. Upon arrival they give the swab a good twirl to collect your secretions and beat a merciful retreat. I can say from personal experience that it’s a uniquely unpleasant sensation. It’s something that just feels wrong, like the opposite of scratching an itch.

That’s perhaps why I was so unsettled by the sight of this autonomous nasal swab robot developed by Taiwanese medtech startup Brain Navi. Of all the entities I don’t want sticking cotton swabs up my nose, an industrial robot arm is pretty high on the list, right between an excitable toddler and a trained mountain gorilla. A nasal swab requires trust.

DJB_280C.jpg

Edited by China
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

We're so ****ed.

His body kept him asymptomatic, I can live with that if thats what "reinfection" looks like.

We need a vaccine, bad.  Its not like we've never got the flu twice, but twice in four months...unless I had it second time and body beat it so bad I didn't know. 

My bigger concern is a reinfection that has someone on a ventilator twice, none that I know of.

• Thanks 1