Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

His body kept him asymptomatic, I can live with that if thats what "reinfection" looks like.

We need a vaccine, bad.  Its not like we've never got the flu twice, but twice in four months...unless I had it second time and body beat it so bad I didn't know. 

My bigger concern is a reinfection that has someone on a ventilator twice, none that I know of.

He'd still have been a carrier again, right?

I'd be worried about people getting it, getting over it, then thinking they cant get it again, becoming infected again, then infecting others.  

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Since Trump himself said masks are patriotic, I guess he's no longer patriotic?

No longer?  He's a traitor trying to make deals with foreign powers to interfere in our elections.  He smiles at Putin when Russia puts bounties on our soldiers' heads.  He's never been patriotic.

Edited by China
  • Like 1

F.D.A. ‘Grossly Misrepresented’ Blood Plasma Data, Scientists Say

At a news conference on Sunday announcing the emergency approval of blood plasma for hospitalized Covid-19 patients, President Trump and two of his top health officials cited the same statistic: that the treatment had reduced deaths by 35 percent.

Mr. Trump called it a “tremendous” number. His health and human services secretary, Alex M. Azar II, a former pharmaceutical executive, said, “I don’t want you to gloss over this number.” And Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said 35 out of 100 Covid-19 patients “would have been saved because of the administration of plasma.”

But scientists were taken aback by the way the administration framed this data, which appeared to have been calculated based on a small subgroup of hospitalized Covid-19 patients in a Mayo Clinic study: those who were under 80 years old, not on ventilators and received plasma known to contain high levels of virus-fighting antibodies within three days of diagnosis.

What’s more, many experts — including a scientist who worked on the Mayo Clinic study — were bewildered about where the statistic came from. The number was not mentioned in the official authorization letter issued by the agency, nor was it in a 17-page memo written by F.D.A. scientists. It was not in an analysis conducted by the Mayo Clinic that has been frequently cited by the administration.

“For the first time ever, I feel like official people in communications and people at the F.D.A. grossly misrepresented data about a therapy,” said Dr. Walid Gellad, who leads the Center for Pharmaceutical Policy and Prescribing at the University of Pittsburgh.

It is especially worrisome, he said, given concerns over how Mr. Trump has appeared to politicize the process of approving treatments and vaccines for the coronavirus.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

Notice how many of these people are wearing masks:

Crowd shatters glass to get to Idaho House session on virus

800.jpeg

Spectators jam the House judiciary committee room, hoping that they could testify about proposed bills, although public testimony is not until later in the process, on Monday, Aug. 24, 2020. The crowd got angry when they were asked to leave unless they had a socially distanced seat. Eventually, the meeting was moved to a larger auditorium. 

Angry, maskless spectators forced themselves into the Idaho House special session on the coronavirus pandemic Monday, shattering a glass door, rushing into the gallery that had limited seating because of the virus and forcing lawmakers to ask for calm in a crowd that included a man carrying an assault-style weapon.

After some people shoved their way past Idaho State Police, Republican House Speaker Scott Bedke allowed the gallery to fully open as long as the crowd stopped chanting and was respectful.

“I want to always try to avoid violence,” he told The Associated Press later. “My initial reaction of course was to clear the fourth floor. But we had room for at least some more.”

He said he was more disappointed than surprised at the violence.

“I think we’re better than that,” he said. “I think that Idahoans expect more out of their citizens.”

Several conservative lawmakers asked for calm and decorum from the gallery crowd that included a man armed with an assault-style weapon. The session started with a full gallery and few masks.

That carried over into packed committee rooms, where maskless spectators ignored social distancing. One Democratic representative walked out of a committee meeting, citing unsafe conditions.

• Sad 2

I Had COVID-19 But Tested Negative 5 Times. Here’s What You Should Know About Testing.

“As an emergency physician, I’m often asked about the coronavirus. When I was exposed and my tests kept coming back negative, even I wasn’t sure what to think.”

In mid-June, when Texas lifted stay-at-home orders and allowed businesses to reopen, the hospital where I worked quickly became much busier than it had been. It was during that time that my husband, also an emergency physician, contracted COVID-19.

I was working an overnight shift the evening that he developed a fever and fatigue and tested positive for the coronavirus. Even though I had no symptoms, because I had potentially been exposed to the virus via my husband, my hospital immediately required me to be tested as well. My test came back negative.

I developed a minor cough and chills. I knew something was not right, but I did not have a fever and I was unimpressed with my symptoms. I obtained a fourth COVID-19 test and, once again, it came back negative.

For me, after another 48 hours of worsening cough, worsening body aches, and uncomfortable diarrhea, I was pretty sure I had COVID-19, but my viral PCR test was also negative. Another two days passed and then my son developed a fever. To obtain testing again for both of us, I decided to visit urgent care, instead of the hospital where I work, on the off chance that an error was occurring at my facility. This test was also negative. However, my son’s test was positive. Because I had been his sole caretaker in recent days, I was fairly convinced that he most likely contracted COVID-19 from me, even though I had never tested positive. 

My family and I are well now, and thankfully, none of us suffered severely while sick. My son had a fever for only one night. My husband and I are back at work. In late July, we all tested positive for long-term COVID-19 antibodies, which officially confirmed that I did have COVID-19, even though a total of five viral and antigen tests had come back negative.

Click on the link for the full story

1 hour ago, visionary said:

this is a misleading tweet. What it says:

• You do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one.
    • A negative test does not mean you will not develop an infection from the close contact or contract an infection at a later time.

leana needs to learn how to read or dial back the hysteria. 

reading the replies reminds me why I hated twitter. I don’t think a single one actually clicked the link and read any of it. 

Edited by tshile

What's the misleading part?  I'm not sure I understand.  Is it saying that they made a sudden change and it's actually a longstanding policy?  Because the part you quoted seems to be what she's saying in essence.  

1 hour ago, tshile said:

this is a misleading tweet.

Edited by visionary

Remember the not-so-distant past when the death count (for Americans) was around 30,000+..... and final projections were speculating around 70-100,000 total. And Trump was celebrating because it was far lower than a worst-case scenario of a couple million? And now we’re looking at a quarter million by the end of this year. Insane.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Remember the not-so-distant past when the death count (for Americans) was around 30,000+..... and final projections were speculating around 70-100,000 total. And Trump was celebrating because it was far lower than a worst-case scenario of a couple million? And now we’re looking at a quarter million by the end of this year. Insane.

Going to be more than a quarter million. Estimated to be about 300k by December 1 right now.

• Thanks 1

I saw a graph posted on here, maybe 2 months ago?  

It showed COVID deaths, by country, adjusted for population, and adjusted for the day the virus hit the country.  (I think they "started the clock" when the country hit 20 infections>?)  

And the point of the graph was that every single country showed a bell-curve-like graph, with a buildup, a peak, and a decline  Except for one country, which built to a peak, then flattened off some, but just kept going up, from there on out.  (Guess which country.)  

Anybody know where to find that graph??  

New US virus cases fall as masks gain favor but testing lags

The number of Americans newly diagnosed with the coronavirus is falling — a development experts say most likely reflects more mask-wearing but also insufficient testing — even as the disease continues to claim nearly 1,000 lives in the U.S. each day.

About 43,000 new cases are being reported daily across the country, down 21% from early August, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. While the U.S., India and Brazil still have the highest numbers of new cases in the world, the downward trend is encouraging.

“It’s profoundly hopeful news,” said Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious-diseases expert at the University of California, San Francisco, who credits the American public’s growing understanding of how the virus spreads, more mask-wearing and, possibly, an increasing level of immunity.

But insufficient testing is probably concealing the full extent of the crisis, said Dr. Jonathan Quick, who leads the pandemic response for the Rockefeller Foundation, which has recommended the U.S. test 4 million people a day by fall.

“We’re grossly under-testing in some of the places that are still having high caseloads,” Quick said, singling out Mississippi, Texas, Georgia and North Dakota as hot spots with high rates of positive test results.

Even at 43,000 new cases per day, the U.S. remains far above the numbers seen during the spring, when new daily cases peaked at about 34,000, he said.

“It’s a good trend, but nowhere near what we need to be,” Quick said of the recent decline.

The virus is blamed for more than 5.7 million confirmed infections and about 178,000 deaths in the U.S. Worldwide, the death toll is put at more than 810,000, with about 23.7 million cases.