Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Edit

If we left the room we had to put a mask on to walk around the hospital.  I was not allowed to leave the premise for 2 days but I asked multiple nurses if I could leave and go get food at a drive through and they said pretty much everyone at security would be fine with that depending on who is there.  But they were now giving meals to the 1 guest allowed with the woman giving birth as well so every meal was provided, although not the best food lol.  It was strange the 2nd day there because I can't remember a day ever in my life where I literally did not step outside.  Not even to take the trash out or something during the quarantine, or to get the mail.  That was literally a day I did not go outside.  My wife didn't leave the room the entire stay until we were discharged.

Edit

Thanks for sharing this. First hand reports are very valuable. So I appreciate the insight. 

I was a little surprised at the bolded. I have gone as much as a week without even opening my door. I do go out and play golf on the weekend. But it was not unusual for me to be in the house from Monday to Friday. I did that for the first few months of the shutdown in Atl. 

I still stay in for the most part. I get out for exercise more and run an errand here or there. But it's still not unusual to be in the apartment for several days in a row. 

• Like 1

I'm down in Tampa and our company went back to working remotely today, we received word late last night that an employee tested positive for COVID and the office is closed until everyone clears protocol.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Thanks for sharing this. First hand reports are very valuable. So I appreciate the insight. 

I was a little surprised at the bolded. I have gone as much as a week without even opening my door. I do go out and play golf on the weekend. But it was not unusual for me to be in the house from Monday to Friday. I did that for the first few months of the shutdown in Atl. 

I still stay in for the most part. I get out for exercise more and run an errand here or there. But it's still not unusual to be in the apartment for several days in a row. 

I'm in a single family home so I go outside even if it's to get the mail, grill, take the trash out, etc.  I'm doing a lot more than that now a days though but even early quarantine I would still get some fresh air every day, even if for a second to get the mail.  But 2 days ago I didn't even leave the 3rd floor of the hospital.

I also started working remotely this past week but only got 2 days before my son was born.  Initially I planned on taking 2 full weeks off but now that it's remote, I am going to try and to half weeks the next 2 weeks so I can only use 1 week of PTO.  And since I can now literally work any 4 hours during the day that I want, I think it will be very doable.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I'm still doing it here. I don't leave my yard. You're always welcome over, btw. 

• Thanks 1

So my weekly VA post. Here goes...

Nova remains stable with slight decreases in cases and basically flat hospitalizations and deaths. Whatever we are doing now isn't making things worse but it's not wiping anything out either. We are simply just living with it at this point. Seems, given the numbers, that if we just stay the course then we will simply be living with Covid in our midst for perpetuity. Interested to see how the numbers fare when the weather shifts in the fall.

Note: The case load was delayed and the one day with a large case count was due to delayed reporting in cases wherein all cases from the two prior days ended up on one day (on the 6th?).

K91awYf.png

I think this metric is the best to use (but it might be because it paints the best picture):

jPvHvBW.png

Then there's deaths:

NsyWeCa.png

All of this really supports the "hotspot" theory that I've kinda formulated in my own mind. Basically, Covid just moves from one hotspot (local population center) to another, regardless of what precautions are put into place. Masks, distancing, etc help, but it's still going to move from one place to another. Then it burns itself out and remains fairly flat after that. I think the numbers are much more meaningful when looking at them in localized amounts. A whole state like VA doesn't make sense because it carries many population centers. The Nova area got burnt through back in April/May. VA beach and the valley areas got burnt through in July, presumably because Covid effected the bigger cities first and now it's gotten the smaller, more rural cities. The main concern is about another resurgence in the virus of course, which is why we continue to wear masks and distance in light of the fact that the virus is more or less contained in our area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Interested to see how the numbers fare when the weather shifts in the fall.

If school is 100% virtual I bet it goes down. It’ll be easier for people to stay home as it get darker earlier and colder. 

halloween will be interesting 

if schools are open I don’t know how that changes. Lots of conflicting ideas. 

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

If school is 100% virtual I bet it goes down. It’ll be easier for people to stay home as it get darker earlier and colder. 

halloween will be interesting 

if schools are open I don’t know how that changes. Lots of conflicting ideas. 

But there’s also less light, less vitamin D, dryer air for viruses to thrive. Stuff like that. I’m no doc but my belief is that flu, seasonal colds, etc thrive because of the conditions at hand.

I guess that’s why I’m just interested to see what happens. I’m hopeful, but right now it seems that our area has just reached a plateau. It’s that second wave that we keep hearing about that concerns me.

Just now, Springfield said:

I’m no doc but my belief is that flu, seasonal colds, etc thrive because of the conditions at hand.

Yeah but look at how the flu numbers fell in spring because of the social distancing. 

I can see it going either way.

i can also see it not mattering as much as less vulnerable parts of society catch it and get through it without needing hospitalization. 

lots of possibilities. If that article about a treatment breakthrough is correct that would change things dramatically too

Well if there's going to be a large spike here,and recently it's already been on the rise,it'll be easy to trace it. Just got back from the BLM protest down the road and several hundred folks were there. Most shoulder to shoulder and not a mask to be found amongst them. Not even the cops. Sigh. 

So we just got back from Tennessee.  We spent most of our time isolated in a cabin on a lake, or boating.  We did take a drive through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and on the way back, through Gatlinburg to see if we could see the effects from the large forest fire a few years ago.  It was frightening.  Not the damage from the fire, but the sights in Gatlinburg.  This country is apparently full of idiots.  In the midst of this pandemic, the streets were full, with people packed elbow to elbow (not social distancing and the number of people didn't seem lower than a normal peak summer season) with only about 30% of them wearing masks.  So you know, it's not just people from Tennessee.  We saw license plates from GA, TX, AL, OH, IN, VA, PA MN, NC and SC.  All those people are going to take whatever they catch back home.   We got out of there as fast as we could.  

• Thanks 2