Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

I'm going to be stuck at home with two toddlers for two weeks......

It's going to take all my self control not to kill them.

If they’re yours, that’s a blessing, enjoy it.  Toddlers are adorable.  Build forts and go all in on the fun.

if you’re watching someone else’s kids.... lol sucks to be you. 

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Are people going to stay inside all day long?  How much social exposure will you have during this outbreak?  Just wondering everyone's mindset.  I'm assuming most people are still going to work depending on your company's guidelines.

Good thing I am feeling a lot better today. Went to the townhouse and put shingles on the sunroom. I am going to continue to come here and get the house ready for rent. Painting is all done. Items to fix now is a toilet, garbage disposal, basement sink stopper thingy, tiling once the new oven gets here and then clean up. I think it will keep busy for the next couple of day. 

As for work, I have a light load of clients and all can be done remotely. :)

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Are people going to stay inside all day long?  How much social exposure will you have during this outbreak?  Just wondering everyone's mindset.  I'm assuming most people are still going to work depending on your company's guidelines.

We are expecting a full remote decision either tomorrow or by monday.

I'm waiting on my little sister in Texas to decide if to come back to VA since she works for the refineries and that situation is collapsing.  If shes still down there in July, I'm keeping my word and driving down there, gonna pull over and pee on the interstate and that's it, wife approves and coming.

I'm not going to avoid my parents, their financial situation is too dire and they are right down the street in Woodbridge.  My priority is family and treating it like I expect to get it an be available, not to abandon them. My closest male friend can handle himself, but told him let me know if he needs anything.

But taking advantage of cheap travel, no point, everything is about to close at this rate. This is evolving too fast, we seem u prepared enough for knee jerk quarantines to be inevitble, why in trying to get my sister come come back now not stuck down there. Will know sometime this weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I expect many will still go to work if their commute doesn't risk exposure, i.e. mass transit

(1) no visitors (dependent on the business)

(2) no large meetings in person

(3) social distancing in small meetings, maybe even using online meeting software to attend)

(4) anyone who wants to work from home can

• Thanks 1

Add my office to the list of places that will be forcing telework unless you work on certain projects. Unfortunately I work on certain projects but atleast I’ll have less possible sick people around me. 

I saved all these Lysol wipes for a reason lol. 

I had to have the talk with my folks about how this will kill old people and y’all qualify today. They laughed at first. But it got serious when I started bringing up all their conditions. They are a little mad at me now but Idc 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Corcaigh said:

I expect many will still go to work if their commute doesn't risk exposure, i.e. mass transit

(1) no visitors (dependent on the business)

(2) no large meetings in person

(3) social distancing in small meetings, maybe even using online meeting software to attend)

(4) anyone who wants to work from home can

That's a good point about mass transit and company policies.  My roommate/tenant takes the bus to work.  She works at a large corporate building at a washing machine company called WASH.   Knowing that company (I worked there briefly), they will force their employees to continue to come to work.  Ugh...obviously hoping she doesn't get ill.  She's 28 years old and a healthy woman but still.

If I don't travel home to DC, I'll probably just hike all day.  Forecast is calling for a lot of rain in the next 10 days.  So otherwise I'll be surfing the internet and watching TV.  I eat out every day, I can't very well stop eating, so I'll continue going out. 

Ultimately we all have to live.  There is a fine line between being paranoid and careful.  Be well everyone, wash your hands, don't touch your face, etc.  Everything will be okay :)

18 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I had to have the talk with my folks about how this will kill old people and y’all qualify today. They laughed at first. But it got serious when I started bringing up all their conditions. They are a little mad at me now but Idc 

Having this talk with my wife’s parents tonight who care for her very old grandma. From the sounds of it, people aren’t taking it seriously in the Deep South. Her grandma is actually the one whose been sounding the alarm for a few weeks because she tunes into Chinese radio every day. Hopefully we can get through better.

• Like 2

This is a long read, but so well done...

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Headline sounds sensationalist, but it’s a great breakdown on numbers, comparison in measures taken between countries, reasons for different levels cases/deaths reported.  Also lots of models and such.  

Most comprehensive thing I’ve seen to date.  

Edit:  I got it from someone I trust, but I still went into with a highly skeptical view.  

Edited by skinny21

31 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Add my office to the list of places that will be forcing telework unless you work on certain projects. Unfortunately I work on certain projects but atleast I’ll have less possible sick people around me. 

I saved all these Lysol wipes for a reason lol. 

People need to watch that youtube video with Michael Osterholm. It is not just an old people virus. It is cutting down people in their 40's as well (in Italy), especially if they smoke or are obese.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Headline sounds sensationalist, but it’s a great breakdown on numbers, comparison in measures taken between countries, reasons for different levels cases/deaths reported.  Also lots of models and such.  

Most comprehensive thing I’ve seen to date.  

Edit:  I got it from someone I trust, but I still went into with a highly skeptical view.  

I was trying to explain the situation to someone earlier today.  The only parallel I could come up with was my summer job in 1999 doing Y2K testing for a NASA contractor.  They literally tested every little utility they use, and ran test data through ground servers to make sure it would get processed correctly and sent back up to satellites with the right 4-digit year format so there would be no interruption in everything for which we rely on satellites.  And things definitely failed in testing.  When Y2K happened it was pretty underwhelming and I got the stray comments from random people that it was all a bunch of precaution over nothing.

This is similar, a bunch of experts have looked at the data regarding how quickly/easily COVID-19 spreads, how quickly symptoms show up and how easily it kills, and they're sounding the alarm.  I know when its all said and done, people will wrongly compare this to the flu, but they'll never make the right connection regarding how much this might've killed had we treated it like the flu.

• Like 3

My daughter called and asked me to make a grocery list, she doesn't want me to go out anywhere. I only need staples like eggs etc. stuff you can't really stock up on. Her store has a free box for employees so she's going to bring me stuff from there. 

She's a smoker so I worry about her.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I have no idea what I am going to do these next three weeks.  I'm on break from school.  Was considering flying home to DC...

If I stay here in LA all I'm going to is sit at home and watch HBO Go.  There aren't even any shows I like at the moment.  I suppose I could go play poker all day at Hustler, yipee.

Must be nice to have these kind of problems in a situation like this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have a regular customer at work, MAGA hat, Rush Limbaugh shirt...he knows I'm on the other side, but he loves me. 

He's a professional tennis photographer, he sends me awesome pics from tournaments all around the world. Comes in today, sits at my only open table, and when I brought his tea he started going off about how this is "just a bunch of nonsense". I responded with, "Well, if people our age weren't dropping like flies, I'd agree...whaddya want for lunch? I don't want to debate this because you're not really gonna listen." I know that was a bit of a stretch, but I can't lose my focus...and I'm certainly not going to pretend to agree, everyone knows me better than that. He still tipped me huge & hugged me before he left. 

• Like 3