Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

A good read on something I posted earlier, that it’s likely that the viral load of coronavirus you are exposed to initially makes a difference in the severity of disease:

Kind of crazy that we aren’t using DPA to really boost PPE production for healthcare workers who are at severe risk if they are constantly exposed to high doses of the virus.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Thanks 2

“The president was right, and frankly Fauci was wrong,” Lou Dobbs said last week on his show on the Fox Business Network, referring to the use of experimental medicine.

Right-wing news and opinion sites have gone further, launching baseless smears against the doctor that have gained significant traction within pro-Trump communities online.

Outlets such as the Gateway Pundit and American Thinker seized on a 2013 email — released by WikiLeaks as part of a cache of communications hacked by Russian operatives — in which Fauci praised Hillary Clinton’s “stamina and capability” during her testimony as secretary of state before the congressional committee investigating the attacks in Benghazi, Libya.

The headline in the American Thinker referred to Fauci as a “Deep-State ­Hillary Clinton-loving stooge.” The author, Peter Barry Chowka, didn’t respond to requests for comment. When asked about the relevance of Fauci’s emails to his role in advising the White House’s coronavirus response, Jim Hoft, the editor of the Gateway Pundit, said, “I don’t have a problem with more information being shared about the doctor.”

The outlet has continued to criticize Fauci in recent days, saying that by offering new predictions about the possible death toll, Fauci and others were “going to destroy the U.S. economy based on total guesses and hysterical predictions.”

The good doctor was right about Hillary though.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Kind of crazy that we aren’t using DPA to really boost PPE production for healthcare workers who are at severe risk if they are constantly exposed to high doses of the virus.

One reason it’s crazy is that it would’ve been a huge political win for Trump. The message of “I am invoking DPA and ordering companies to make PPE to save lives.” They are so ****ing incompetent they can’t even get that right.

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

One reason it’s crazy is that it would’ve been a huge political win for Trump. The message of “I am invoking DPA and ordering companies to make PPE to save live.” They are so ****ing incompetent they can’t even get that right.

That would require Trump to actually do work. To have a clear strategy and a clear set of tactics and steps to achieve the desired end result of that strategic vision. Trump doesn't do any of that. I honesty doubt he can do it. So in lieu of doing hard work and making difficult decisions he's settled on the strategy that he's employed many times in the past to pretty decent effect: simply rewrite history. Deny he said what he said, claim he knew it all along, and that he was the lone voice in the wilderness fighting the system and wanting to do something about it. And then paint himself as the hero.

That's why he keeps repeating the 2.2 million number now: so that he can later claim that he was the savior who kept us to "just" 100,000 - 200,000 deaths. That as well as repeating the 100,000 - 200,000 thing so that if we get really lucky and it comes in under that he can claim credit for that as well after he set the expectations.

Trump may be an ignorant dunce in almost every way, but over time he's mastered the art of deflecting blame and rewriting history to suit his alternate reality. I don't think it's so much a talent as it is something he's simply gotten good at by doing it for most of his life.

The saddest part is that his followers will absolutely buy it. Hopefully they're the only ones and that doesn't bleed over into anyone else.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

A really balanced and well written article on why there have been relatively few deaths in California despite a huge population and getting the virus before everyone else:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-california-herd-immunity/

They're pushing hard for the hypothesis that an enormous influx of Chinese tourism in San Francisco and LA led to stronger herd immunity than the rest of the country, but I think the 10 day head start on social isolation was just as important. 

The one thing people don't really talk about with social distancing is that it's much, much easier to contract the virus from someone if you are in the same room with them for 10+ minutes at a time. It's possible to catch something sooner, of course, but as with the cold and flu, your chances raise dramatically with time and close contact. 

If you are social distancing and avoiding enclosed spaces, your level of exposure to the virus drops dramatically. A few coronavirus cells are more likely to be destroyed before they can be replicated than a large amount of them. This is why viral overload has been so dangerous for nurses and doctors. Transmission of a low amount of a virus is, in fact, how vaccines work, so herd immunity in an environment of social distancing could develop somewhat harmlessly.

This is just a theory I'm kicking around but it's slowly appearing in the literature more often. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FanboyOf91 said:

so ****ed

...and so ***** up. I thought something was rotten in Denmark when I read a story about inoperable vents arriving in California IIRC. Yet another political ad that writes itself. FFS! What an impressive collection of morons, imbeciles, idiots, and dullards he’s put together. “All the best people? 🤬🤬

Pretty amazing. When I worked in healthcare preparedness, SNS was looked at like our version of the Navy SEALS. Turns out it was all a sham.

770-D0-A81-9-C65-46-AB-8-D07-88732731303

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It says the engineer thought the ship was not there for humanitarian purposes but was actually part of some larger conspiracy.

Chances he was a Q follower? What Q narratives are spinning in the midst of this national disaster?

Or just mentally disturbed.

?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Edited 2 hours ago by No Excuses

It’s so much worse than you know. So much worse... :(

• Sad 5

Thought experiment:

With the current social distancing measures in place and everyone wearing masks, do you believe you're more or less likely to catch COVID-19 out in public than you were a month ago when it was all over the place unchecked? There's a logical answer to this, but I bet most people would say with all certainty that they feel dirty even leaving their homes right now. This is definitely something I've given a lot of thought to and it's really the crux of whether or not you believe our efforts are working.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

That's why he keeps repeating the 2.2 million number now: so that he can later claim that he was the savior who kept us to "just" 100,000 - 200,000 deaths. That as well as repeating the 100,000 - 200,000 thing so that if we get really lucky and it comes in under that he can claim credit for that as well after he set the expectations.

That's a purely statistical view of the whole thing.

Demographicly 100.000 deaths out of 300.000.000 won't change much if you decide to view it this way.

That's how China sees its population...

I really feel for you guys, you deserve way better than that. This guy is a real shame of a human being.

• Like 4