Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I know Trump is terrible.  But the idea that Florida is getting aid only for “political reasons/anonymous source” is a bit much.  

Florida is about to absolutely catch fire, for a variety of self-inflicted reasons, and I’m sure the case can be made that they have the the most pressing need for assistance of any of the states, currently.  Except New York, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It always seems a bit much til it turns out to be true. 
and with Trump, the worst always turns out to be true.

Betting on him doing the absolute worst, criminal or not, is as safe a bet as a one horse race.

~Bang

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, No Excuses said:
tweet on rural covid-19 spread

This tweet appears to be very misleading.  If you read the article, another explanation is given as just more testing because of the presence of a Mayo Clinic testing area is in the area.  And other places that have Mayo Clinic testing areas nearby also have higher rates.

(That this particular area of MN is being worse than the rest of rural America in terms of misinformation on its face just isn't very believable and statistically unlikely.  To say this particular area of rural America is a hotspot because of misinformation is very unlikely.

And it isn't like they even point out any large gatherings that are happening the area.)

You should question results (in terms of science)/information/sources that coincide or agree with your pre-conceived biases even more than those that don't.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

This tweet appears to be very misleading.  If you read the article, another explanation is given as just more testing because of the presence of a Mayo Clinic testing area is in the area.  And other places that have Mayo Clinic testing areas nearby also have higher rates.

(That this particular area of MN is being worse than the rest of rural America in terms of misinformation on its face just isn't very believable and statistically unlikely.  To say this particular area of rural America is a hotspot because of misinformation is very unlikely.

And it isn't like they even point out any large gatherings that are happening the area.)

You should question results (in terms of science)/information/sources that coincide or agree with your pre-conceived biases even more than those that don't.

I agree, but the misinformation claim is coming from what it seems like the person in charge of public health so it shouldn't be dismissed. Two things can be at play here: (a) more aggressive testing is finding community spread even in remote rural areas and (b) polling on public views tell us that a lot of misinformation from certain media outlets has had an impact on how certain demographics are absorbing this crisis and those with more non-chalant views are predominant in rural communities.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I know Trump is terrible.  But the idea that Florida is getting aid only for “political reasons/anonymous source” is a bit much.  

Florida is about to absolutely catch fire, for a variety of self-inflicted reasons, and I’m sure the case can be made that they have the the most pressing need for assistance of any of the states, currently.  Except New York, of course.

I'm with @Bang on this one. Never ever underestimate Trump's ability to go as low as humanly possible, even if it's blatantly criminal. Surviving impeachment has, if anything, emboldened him (as anyone with a working frontal lobe knew would happen). He believes he can get away with anything with no repercussions...and unfortunately at the moment he's probably right. It will cost him in the long run but Trump doesn't have a strategic bone in his body; everything is done on whim and with only the short term implications in sight. 

I wouldn't doubt for one second that he's factoring politics, the election, as well as personal grudges (they weren't nice enough to me! wahhh!) into where he's sending equipment. The guy is a sociopath; human suffering is more or less meaningless to him outside of how it affects him politically or financially.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I agree, but the misinformation claim is coming from what it seems like the person in charge of public health so it shouldn't be dismissed. Two things can be at play here: (a) more aggressive testing is finding community spread even in remote rural areas and (b) polling on public views tell us that a lot of misinformation from certain media outlets has had an impact on how certain demographics are absorbing this crisis and those with more non-chalant views are predominant in rural communities.

Why shouldn't I dismiss a claim from anybody if there isn't evidence to support it?  Why does it matter who they are?  If they can't support their argument with evidence why shouldn't I dismiss it?  Especially when there is direct evidence that there's another explanation.

For the claim to be true, you need this rural area to MORE non-chalant than other rural areas.  Which there's absolutely no evidence of and just is extremely unlikely.

There's two explanations for why this rural area has been harder hit than other rural areas.  One of them there is evidence to support.  The other one there isn't.

And your post and the tweet ignored the explanation with evidence to emphasize the claim supported by ZERO actual evidence.  That's at best sloppy and at worse dishonest and fed directly into people's preconceived conceptions.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm with @Bang on this one. Never ever underestimate Trump's ability to go as low as humanly possible, even if it's blatantly criminal. Surviving impeachment has, if anything, emboldened him (as anyone with a working frontal lobe knew would happen). He believes he can get away with anything with no repercussions...and unfortunately at the moment he's probably right. It will cost him in the long run but Trump doesn't have a strategic bone in his body; everything is done on whim and with only the short term implications in sight. 

I wouldn't doubt for one second that he's factoring politics, the election, as well as personal grudges (they weren't nice enough to me! wahhh!) into where he's sending equipment. The guy is a sociopath; human suffering is more or less meaningless to him outside of how it affects him politically or financially.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here.

But, the article clearly implies that Florida is receiving assistance solely for political/nefarious reasons and offers up only an “anonymous” source as proof.

I just simply have no use for this right now.  Florida needs help...a lot of help and I’m glad they’re getting it.

My pitchfork remains at the ready come November, tho.  Trust.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Why shouldn't I dismiss a claim from anybody if there isn't evidence to support it?  Why does it matter who they are?  If they can't support their argument with evidence why shouldn't I dismiss it?  Especially when there is direct evidence that there's another explanation.

For the claim to be true, you need this rural area to MORE non-chalant than other rural areas.  Which there's absolutely no evidence of and just is extremely unlikely.

There's two explanations for why this rural area has been harder hit than other rural areas.  One of them there is evidence to support.  The other one there isn't.

And your post and the tweet ignored the explanation with evidence to emphasize the claim supported by ZERO actual evidence.  That's at best sloppy and at worse dishonest and fed directly into people's preconceived conceptions.

There is plenty of data supported evidence that people who live predominantly in rural communities are not taking this pandemic seriously enough. You don't have to poll each specific rural area to understand that this can be a problem. It is a valid assumption based on public polling and is worthy of being considered by public health officials. Which is exactly what seems to be happening here.

There is no point to public surveys if you don't use them, which is what you seem to be advocating. That unless you poll *location X* specifically and know exactly how people are thinking and behaving there, then you can't make certain assumptions about them from broader surveys of communities or demographic groups like these. Which is absolutely disconnected from how public survey data is actually used in guiding policy decisions or assumptions.

And there really aren't two competing hypothesis. We could be seeing community spread in this specific area because of higher testing levels, and the community spread could be exacerbated by the fact that people who live in these communities are prone to media outlets that spread disinformation. And we know that to be true from public polling.

So if I'm a public health official in such a community, I would be a moron to not see public polling on how different demographics are absobring the unfolding events and understand that there might be a disinformation problem in my community that can make the situation worse.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There is plenty of data supported evidence that people who live predominantly in rural communities are not taking this pandemic seriously enough. You don't have to poll each specific rural area to understand that this can be a problem. It is a valid assumption based on public polling and is worthy of being considered by public health officials. Which is exactly what seems to be happening here.

There is no point to public surveys if you don't use them, which is what you seem to be advocating. That unless you poll *location X* specifically and know exactly how people are thinking and behaving there, then you can't make certain assumptions about them. Which is absolutely disconnected from how public survey data is actually used in guiding policy decisions or assumptions.

Try reading my post again.  Pay special attention to cases where I've used font characteristics to emphasize points (e.g. capitalization).

If you want to argue that the virus would be less of an issue in rural areas if people there took it more seriously, that's a different story than the story you posed was covering.  The story you posted was talking about why it seems to be worse in that particular area of MN than other nearby areas of MN, including other rural areas.

In addition to reading my posts more carefully, you should probably try to read what you are posting more carefully.

Edited by PeterMP

12 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Try reading my post again.  Pay special attention to cases where I've used font characteristics to emphasize points (e.g. capitalization).

If you want to argue that the virus would be less of an issue in rural areas if people there took it more seriously, that's a different story than the story you posed was covering.  The story you posted was talking about why it seems to be worse in that particular area of MN than other nearby areas of MN.

In addition to reading my posts more carefully, you should probably try to read what you are posting more carefully.

No need to be a dick.

And really, if you're going to make a fuss about "reading", try doing it yourself. Arguing phantom points that no one is making is a common issue with you.

"My personal opinion is there are some folks listening to some media outlets that were not taking this seriously. That can be a factor too. It's hard to prove that. I don't want to get political. But there were outlets saying it's a hoax, it's no worse than a cold, and those are things people listen to. Our advice has been to look to credible sources of information like the Minnesota Department of Health and the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). "

Literally no one is claiming that it's THE factor or that its proven beyond doubt. As a hypothesis, its perfectly valid and rests on fair assumptions that can be drawn from polling on public views and behavior. If you are working in a rural community as a public health official in the middle of a pandemic, where people are more likely to listen to garbage disinformation, you would be insane not to consider the role of that disinformation as a contributor to a growing a hotspot.

Edited by No Excuses

16 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

No need to be a dick.

And really, if you're going to make a fuss about "reading", try doing it yourself. Arguing phantom points that no one is making is a common issue with you.

Literally no one is claiming that it's THE factor or that its proven beyond doubt. As a hypothesis, its perfectly valid and rests on fair assumptions that can be drawn from polling on public views and behavior. If you are working in a rural community as a public health official in the middle of a pandemic, where people are more likely to listen to garbage disinformation, you would be insane not to consider the role of that disinformation as a contributor to a growing a hotspot.

Compare what you quoted to this;

"Part of the explanation, a local health official says, is the amount of misinformation people in the area were consuming"

That was the tweet.  Now, tell me you don't see the difference.

(and this still doesn't address the issue of MORE)

8 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

No need to post things that are misleading and when called out on it try to excuse it away.

There is really nothing misleading in it. You've decided to make a fuss about an assumption. An assumption that doesn't even compete with the other assumption in the article. Both could be true simultaneously. Neither are put forth as proven explanations.

Your issue at the end of the day is with people who seem to be actually in charge of decision making. This seems to be a common issue with you, re: facemasks and the revised advisories coming from the CDC. It's worth considering that others know more than you. It's also probably a good idea to not pretend that "evidence doesn't exist" when it does and has been shown to you.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bang said:

It always seems a bit much til it turns out to be true. 
and with Trump, the worst always turns out to be true.

Betting on him doing the absolute worst, criminal or not, is as safe a bet as a one horse race.

~Bang

What is the line in Vegas for this?

• Haha 2