Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

One reason it’s crazy is that it would’ve been a huge political win for Trump. The message of “I am invoking DPA and ordering companies to make PPE to save lives.” They are so ****ing incompetent they can’t even get that right.

See - I don't think I agree with the DPA being such a political slam dunk...

Maybe it's the right thing to do morally, but I do think strictly from a political standpoint it's more of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If he doesn't do it, all the criticism he's getting now is in play. If he does it, he'll be taking executive power, blah blah. 

32 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

That’s why we brought my mother in law and her mom from Georgia to Maryland. They acted very slow and they still aren’t testing all that much despite several outbreak clusters throughout the state.

If the feds we're on the same page taking this seriously, we could've been doing this.  Saying we need masks, but not everyone, then saying everyone, there's no way to guarantee every part of that mixed messaging gets where it needs to get.

They could've been told first responders to cover their face much as they can until they got masks, but I think the feds always knew they'd be short on neccesary masks and would instead focus on messaging and blaming to get away with it while people died.

Got some cheap washables after seeing CDC may change their recommendations on conveying face.  Should really be able to better protect myself following a thread on ES then listening to the President of the United States?  That's not a shot at anyone except him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

See - I don't think I agree with the DPA being such a political slam dunk...

Maybe it's the right thing to do morally, but I do think strictly from a political standpoint it's more of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If he doesn't do it, all the criticism he's getting now is in play. If he does it, he'll be taking executive power, blah blah. 

Considering that no one's ever made political hay over the DoD using it about 300,000 times per year and DHS using it a 1,000 times in 2018, combined with Dems being the ones to beat the drums on using it in Covid response, I don't think the bolded part is true.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Imagine thinking this was the lie you decided to tell

Now y'all see why I call him Gov. Dum Dum, or sometimes, Gov. Simp. Either way, I say, I say dat boy's 'bout as sharp as a beach ball.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

FWIW, I did vote for her but I'm not as sold on Abrams as many are. However, there's no way in hell I think she'd have not responded as Gov. Simp has. Albany, or as the folks here say it, "All-Benny" went up in viral flames while this rube sat on his hands holding fast to Dear Leader's guidance. Rural Georgians love to whine and moan about the "state" of Atlanta getting everything, but "All-Benny" is smack dab in the middle of Tя☭mp country. So, the usual excuse of just sticking it to the Atlanta city slickers doesn't even hold water this time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Update from TrumpCountry VA: old folks have caught on that something is coming and have begun panic buying groceries. However despite the fact that the county has reported its first 3 cases in the past week, the store is still packed, the curbside pickup still deserted, and next to nobody is wearing a mask.

I guess old people buying stuff online would require them to learn to use a computer. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

1 hour ago, redskins59 said:

the article seems to have missed Michigan pretty much reversing it's stand on chloroquine.

there have been numerous reports of it's use being beneficial

the implied action of not trying possible treatments ignores the current ****storm we are facing.

too many are focused on trumps statement rather than battlefield medicine to save lives .

per the old people panic-buying or supposedly not being able to navigate online grocery purchases (which i see plenty of non-old people doing)...it's off-topic, but every generation of humans are human :)

everyone who survives will get their turn at being "old" and then can reflect on the genius and fountain of good judgement that they were in their younger days

you know---all those selfish, ignorant, stupid, rude, mean thigns you do/have done that you can't blame on your age because you weren't "old" at the time :)

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

off-topic, but every generation of humans are human :)

everyone who survives will get their turn at being "old" and then can reflect on the genius and fountain of good judgement that they were in their younger days

you know---all those selfish, ignorant, stupid, rude, mean thigns you do/have done that you can't blame on your age because you weren't "old" at the time :)

That's exactly what an old person would say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

3 minutes ago, twa said:

the article seems to have missed Michigan pretty much reversing it's stand on chloroquine.

there have been numerous reports of it's use being beneficial

the implied action of not trying possible treatments ignores the current ****storm we are facing.

too many are focused on trumps statement rather than battlefield medicine to save lives .

I think a lot of states are probably using it.  What will be the death rate?  It won't be zero like that doctor from NY is suggesting.

Having said that, if I got coronavirus, I would take it.  The results are mixed.  I posted a paper a few days ago from China, which seemed to suggests that hydroxychloroquine may work.

On the other hand, there is another study from China where the benefit was none between case and control.

So it is mixed.  Now the question is one of side effects.

Just now, redskins59 said:

I think a lot of states are probably using it.  What will be the death rate?  It won't be zero like that doctor from NY is suggesting.

Having said that, if I got coronavirus, I would take it.  The results are mixed.  I posted a paper a few days ago from China, which seemed to suggests that hydroxychloroquine may work.

On the other hand, there is another study from China where the benefit was none between case and control.

So it is mixed.  Now the question is one of side effects.

the side effects are minor for the vast majority, and we have long experience on who not to give it to, unless of course the prognosis is worse w/o trying.

don't handcuff physicians w/o good cause

1 minute ago, twa said:

the side effects are minor for the vast majority, and we have long experience on who not to give it to, unless of course the prognosis is worse w/o trying.

don't handcuff physicians w/o good cause

Do you think that it works as well as, say, even a flu shot (which is like 60% effective or so- but it does reduce symptoms)? 

I feel that it is already  being used left and right.