Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

26 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

18 years in the Navy and never saw a crew act like that for a departing CO.

Trying to find articles, so did the captain try to go through proper channel calmly as they say he didn't then relieved the captain when he blasted them through a channel he wasn't trying to hide from the public ever seeing?  

I get these some "what did he actually do" and you aren't allowed to confirm or deny everything, but does look like he couldn't protect his crew and wasn't getting response he needed so gave up his career to save as many as he could.

I'm not military, so as a civilian outside looking in at how the tops of the government is handling this, I support him "snapping" and doing what he felt was the right thing to do at his own expense.  Many people don't do that regardless of position they are in. I'm sure there is some play in not giving away our "readiness", but I want to believe the military is doing what it can to walk and chew gum at the same time, not trapped into making the President feel good at everyone else expense like so many others.

You don't have to respond, just trying to make sure I understand here because of seeing mixed reports, think the reaction from the crew shows they agree with what he did, allegedly or not.

• Like 1

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Trump is doing a horrible job,  but... concerned about getting the virus? job well done, media. 

it’s likely someone I know will get the virus, but I’m not concerned about it. 

What's their insidious motivation?  TDS?  Hatred of America?  Pinko commies?  An adversarial press is a cornerstone of our freedoms.  Right?

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

it’s way simpler. Money and eyeballs.

If they hadn't held our leaders feet to the fire, we'd still be open for business.  Press wins this one and ad revenues are sure to decline as a result.  Bad business or actually caring?  You're way too cynical in an unproductive way.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 3

As a 50 year old, I have been deeply concerned about getting the virus since December.  I am even more deeply concerned abou spreading it to my 71 year old mother.  

My concerns were based on the fact that I’m not a complete sociopath.  Media had nothing to do with it.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

As a 50 year old, I have been deeply concerned about getting the virus since December.  I am even more deeply concerned abou spreading it to my 71 year old mother.  

My concerns were based on the fact that I’m not a complete sociopath.  Media had nothing to do with it.

You clearly don't belong in Trump's America. 

• Like 1

I've been very concerned about it. Sure, I probably wouldn't die but I don't want to spread it to family and coworkers who could spread it to their family, many with older parents or family members with health issues. I don't even want to think about my nieces and nephews stuck in a scary hospital alone for 2 weeks or worse, getting put on a ventilator. 

Imagine actually having empathy and being concerned about the well-being of another human beyond the $ value they represent to you. Crazy world we live in. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Trying to find articles, so did the captain try to go through proper channel calmly as they say he didn't then relieved the captain when he blasted them through a channel he wasn't trying to hide from the public ever seeing?  

I get these some "what did he actually do" and you aren't allowed to confirm or deny everything, but does look like he couldn't protect his crew and wasn't getting response he needed so gave up his career to save as many as he could.

Unfortunately we are at a point where I need to just keep my mouth shut.  Though I can remind people and even encourage them to call their elected leaders and voice their opinions. 

• Like 6

This article says the Navy Secretary claims Captain Crozier used non-secure channels to send the letter to "a broad array of people" and that's why he was relieved.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/navy-expected-relieve-captain-who-raised-alarm-about-covid-19-n1175351

Edit: I'm not qualified to have any kind of nuanced opinion, but I believe the Captain did the right thing.

Edited by dfitzo53

I am operating under the idea that everyone I come in contact with has come in contact with someone infected. My wife is "essential".. she is a financial adviser, and even though she has not had any clients in the office for weeks, she is still out in public.
She and I both are still having to go into grocery stores, and i think those are central hotspots that EVERYONE is in. 

I know, i am usually such a fountain of optimism, so it is probably a surprise that I figure I will get this, I think it's inevitable. it's just a matter of if I can survive it.

Also, I think I trust a plane full of russian medical supplies about as much as I'd trust a nazi offering me a shower. Hope I'm wrong, but as usual, in looking at history, there's plenty of reason to be concerned. 

~Bang

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Considering what we know about AIDS, and other STD's, and people still go raw on the reg because it feels good....why would we expect people to stop doing what feels good - going out, socializing, etc. - to stop the spread of this virus?

I went out to Sam's Club in Frederick on Wednesday afternoon to stock up, and you would have never known there was a lockdown in place in MD.  Seems to be the case almost everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My sister went back to work. Since she was exposed; she was on 14 day quarrentine. I thought she was staying at her condo; to avoid having contact with me. Turns out she was under self quarrentine. She tested negative. She went back to work last night; hope she doesn't get exposed again. She would go on quarrentine again. I don't how she doesn't avoid getting exposed since she could get more patients who have it.

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Considering what we know about AIDS, and other STD's, and people still go raw on the reg because it feels good....why would we expect people to stop doing what feels good - going out, socializing, etc. - to stop the spread of this virus?

I went out to Sam's Club in Frederick on Wednesday afternoon to stock up, and you would have never known there was a lockdown in place in MD.  Seems to be the case almost everywhere.

Food stores, restock places like this are going to continue to be like this. 
I think we should consider some ideas we have used in the past in times of crisis.. not necessarily rationing, but maybe designating certain days that people can go shopping.. like last names beginning in A-D can go on Sunday, E-H on Monday.. etc. etc.  During gas crises in the 70s they set up systems of when you could go to the gas station based on the numbers on your license plates. 

It seems sort of pointless to the whole idea of staying at home and social distancing to slow the spread if we all congregate in these places anyway. i went to Nick's in Prince Frederick on Wednesday, and they were limiting the number of people that could be in the store, (although it didn't really seem to matter. For those who don' know it, Nicks is known primarily for meats, and even though it seemed like there was only about 12 customers in the store at any time, everyone is at the meat counter.  Everyone tried to be a bit distant but it isn't really possible, and there's 6 guys working the counter who are all in proximity with one another all day.

this is why I figure it is an inevitability that I'll catch it. Not necessarily because i am out too much, but the branch out network of how many people you are in 'proximity' with is staggering. You could be indirectly exposed to tens of thousands of people in a five minute trip to the store. Since the virus can live so long on surfaces, the indirect is not very indirect at all.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bang said:

Food stores, restock places like this are going to continue to be like this. 
<snipped>

Oh I agree for sure, but it wasn't so much how many people were in the store, it was how many people were just out and about everywhere - driving around, fast food drive thrus packed, etc.  

On a side note, I used to live in Waldorf a few decades ago, grandparents still do - and they always order Nick's subs every time I come to visit.  Love that place.

• Like 1

@Bang a lot of people even in this thread already caught it and either didn't know it or couldn't confirm it.

This is why I'd rather have an antibody test.  We basically have to stop trusting numbers out of China because they trying so hard to cook the books that folks testing positive again is giving impression you can catch this twice from the same strain.

I haven't seen any data to prove that's even possible, has anyone else?

35 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm in Rockville and have experienced the exact opposite.  Since this past Monday, stores have been way less crowded.  I Just ran to 7-11 because I needed some more coke zero and I was the only person in there.  Usually it's packed at lunch time.

I drove past Safeway and it was pretty empty compared to normal traffic as well.

I am going to get groceries either tonight or tomorrow morning though and will see how it is when I am there.

I also went to Home Depot Tuesday morning and they are only allowing people in as someone leaves.  And the parking lot was MUCH less crowded than the past times I had been there.  

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1