Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm in Rockville and have experienced the exact opposite.  Since this past Monday, stores have been way less crowded.  I Just ran to 7-11 because I needed some more coke zero and I was the only person in there.  Usually it's packed at lunch time.

I drove past Safeway and it was pretty empty compared to normal traffic as well.

I am going to get groceries either tonight or tomorrow morning though and will see how it is when I am there.

There actually weren't that many people in the actual store, no more than any other time.  I was just surprised by the amount of cars on the roads, entire families out shopping, fast food restaurants packed, etc.

43 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Imagine actually having empathy and being concerned about the well-being of another human beyond the $ value they represent to you. Crazy world we live in. 

The “is the cure worse than the disease?” crowd is a group of abhorrent people 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I've been very concerned about it. Sure, I probably wouldn't die but I don't want to spread it to family and coworkers who could spread it to their family, many with older parents or family members with health issues. I don't even want to think about my nieces and nephews stuck in a scary hospital alone for 2 weeks or worse, getting put on a ventilator. 

I'm a home health care nurse.  

Which in some ways, is a great job, right now.  My job is about as secure as you can get.  Not a chance the government's gonna tell me not to go to work.  (Unless I get contagious, or some such.)  My paychecks are completely uninterrupted.  

OTOH, I spend 12 hours a shift in a room with a patient who's normally on a ventilator "as needed".  Who's incredibly prone to respiratory infections, for multiple reasons.  And his 80 year old mother.  

The good news is, neither of them ever leaves the house.  The bad news is, the only way they get this virus is if one of his staff brings it in.  And, if either of them catches it, it's a disaster.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

The “is the cure worse than the disease?” crowd is a group of abhorrent people 

Pay no attention to catfish Stephen Miller on this board. 

Tbf though, it's not like we're talking about forgiveness of student loan debt. 😉

Ps. I keed.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Then take your eyeballs to the nearest hospital and tell us what you see since you don't want to give it go the media.

No, I understand that some people get sick and even a small percentage of the population requiring more than usual medical care stops the system from functioning.  

@KAOSkins post about the media being responsible for the lock downs kinda of proves my point about the media, even if the lockdowns were necessary (which I agree they were, unfortunately).  I didn’t need to be cynical but we both agree they have a lot of power.

There have been several models and statements by scientists they suggest a lot of people may have it and be asymptotic. That decreases the concern level for me. I’m concerned for the people who are in hospital, but as far as me personally getting it or someone I know getting it, there isn’t a huge reason to be concerned based on what what the CDC has said.  I follow the cdc recommendations because I’m concerned about other people.  But I’m not personally concerned.  They won’t even test you unless you need to be admitted to the hospital in VA.... 

The complete opposite is true, of course.

Very powerful, highly rated portions of our national media were selling the “it’s just a Flu” bull**** well past it’s expiration date.  I don’t need to name them because we all know who they are.

Fact is, we should’ve gone into lockdown sooner and should’ve started emergency preparations sooner.  The “media” played a huge role as to why we did not.

Furthermore, we still don’t have a national lockdown policy in place.

The KushnerCowgirl scenario she’s selling is completely fraudulent on every conceivable level.  As usual.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Asymptomatic people (aka silent carriers) should scare the **** out of anyone. 

Right. We've got shifts available at work, now called "take out team"...no thanks. If I felt like dying, I'd have done it last year when I had the chance. 🙄

4 minutes ago, twa said:

Restricting travel and mandatory quarantines early along with aggressive testing/contact tracing was what was needed.

Along with China not hiding the problem

What China has done is unforgivable in the sense of what it means to be a global partner 

but they aren’t why we weren’t prepared. The people that are responsible for advising the country knew back when it hit WHO, which I believe was December 31, and the first patient walked into the first hospital in China December 26th. 

Our political leaders, namely ones you spend your time defending and supporting, are to blame. 

blaming China for our actions and unpreparedness is a cop out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

52 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm in Rockville and have experienced the exact opposite.  Since this past Monday, stores have been way less crowded.  I Just ran to 7-11 because I needed some more coke zero and I was the only person in there.  Usually it's packed at lunch time.

Same, and this is backed up by data. NYT ran a piece on where traffic and social mobility has gone down the most. The counties of the DMV saw the greatest declines in social mobility.

Most of us in this area are privileged to work in jobs that can be done from home. Which honestly should also be an eye opener for local government and businesses to start using relaxed teleworking policies so we aren't wasting endless amounts of money on public transportation and road repairs, when people can be incentivized to cut down on commuting.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

blaming China for our actions and unpreparedness is a cop out. 

Don't recall doing so, their actions are to blame for it spreading so much initially

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

but they aren’t why we weren’t prepared. The people that are responsible for advising the country knew back when it hit WHO, which I believe was December 31, and the first patient walked into the first hospital in China December 26th. 

When the final autopsy is done on this years and years from now, I am almost 100% positive that we will find out that China knew as early as late November that something was wrong. Reports of Chinese doctors raising the alarm and getting censored go well into early to mid December. I also read a report that said higher than normal activity on Chinese social media apps for words like pneumonia and SARS as early as November-December, although this one was hard to verify because of how opaque Chinese social media platforms are.

The bend of authoritarian regimes downplaying unfolding crises reared its ugly head again (and it's also one of the best reasons why the spread of authoritarian governments even here in the US is awful, and people who enabled it have little room to criticize China).

The thing that gets to me the most is that in very early January we were hearing from my wife's grandma about a really awful situation unfolding in China. She's tuned into both Chinese state media and Radio Free Asia pretty much all day because she's blind, doesn't speak English and its her only form of entertainment. RFA and other non-state media had started talking about an awful health care situation unfolding, around the time Western media was just starting to report on a new mysterious illness. She's very anti-CCP so we just assumed that she's overblowing it. In hindsight, what she was hearing and telling us turned out to be the scenarios that unfolded in Italy, Spain etc and now playing out here.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 4

I think Congress should look into this horrible leaker, here.  This commanding officer who so jeopardized his command with his careless disregard for security.  

Soon as his discharge is complete, I want his testimony, under oath, about who he told, when he told them, and what they did about it.  

14 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Same, and this is backed up by data. NYT ran a piece on where traffic and social mobility has gone down the most. The counties of the DMV saw the greatest declines in social mobility.

Most of us in this area are privileged to work in jobs that can be done from home. Which honestly should also be an eye opener for local government and businesses to start using relaxed teleworking policies so we aren't wasting endless amounts of money on public transportation and road repairs, when people can be incentivized to cut down on commuting.

My position is super frustrating right now because my job can be done from home.  I have my work laptop here.  But due to our government being incompetent, they don't allow us to do it from home.  I literally sit in a cafeteria in a government building 95% of my time at work right now on this same laptop when I'm working.  But they won't let me sit at home and work.

Instead I am at home doing projects around the house, gaming, and watching stuff on tv all while the work just sits there.

Oh and it is looking like they are going to end up paying us for all this time off.  So in the end, they are paying us to do nothing instead of paying us to work.

Your hard earned tax dollars at use.

There are people making huge profits on medical supplies due to shortage, an issue that continues to be exacerbated by the GOP refusing to enforce DPA and boost supply.

Doctors and nurses have been given the middle finger by Trump and I can't imagine the fury they must feel watching trust fund baby Jared Kushner explaining why they don't deserve to have the protective equipment they need.

• Like 1

Noted idiot Jemele Hill was caught on social media criticizing Robert Kraft for giving masks away to people in need. "HE's a trump fan"

Who cares?

Why does his political affiliation matter? Can't the guy do a good deed without being called out on social media?

Jemele, this is why nobody likes you. You take any opportunity you can to bash Trump almost like a life obsession. I don't like Trump. I've made it clear. But I have other things to do with my life than bring up Trump when Robert Kraft is donating for a good cause. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

When the final autopsy is done on this years and years from now, I am almost 100% positive that we will find out that China knew as early as late November that something was wrong.

there is at least one doctor in Italy claiming this was first seen in Italy in November. 

I expected that piece of information to take off but it never did. 

would fit with what you’re saying