Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

On 1/12/2021 at 8:43 AM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Allen Robinson is the top prize, but let's not forget about Kenny Golladay, Chris Godwin, Will Fuller, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel.

Robinson is definitely my favorite, but he will be the most costly option. Idk if Golladay gets free of Detroit, or Godwin gets free of Tampa with the franchise tags, but I think there's a good chance JuJu, Davis, Robinson and Samuel shake loose. And if that's the case, any one of them make our team substantially better. I do like Will Fuller, but his injury history would make him riskier for sure, but it might also knock his price down a bit.

For me it isn't Robinson or bust. But we have to leave FA with one of those names that I mentioned.

I would take it a step further. Robinson is this year's Amari Cooper but if we are unable to land him I wouldn't mind going after this year's Logan Thomas / JD McKissic. We can look at guys like Josh Reynolds, David Moore, Rashard Higgins, etc. These are guys who are lower on the depth charts on their teams but have produced reasonably well and are free agents this year. I don't know their scouting reports but if we like Harmon and C. Sims for example as possible number 2 WRs, we have the option of replacing them with a guy who is definitely better with a Robinson or Godwin but the rest of those guys I'm not sure are better, especially ones who are going to cost more but have missed time with injuries. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I would take it a step further. Robinson is this year's Amari Cooper but if we are unable to land him I wouldn't mind going after this year's Logan Thomas / JD McKissic. We can look at guys like Josh Reynolds, David Moore, Rashard Higgins, etc. These are guys who are lower on the depth charts on their teams but have produced reasonably well and are free agents this year. I don't know their scouting reports but if we like Harmon and C. Sims for example as possible number 2 WRs, we have the option of replacing them with a guy who is definitely better with a Robinson or Godwin but the rest of those guys I'm not sure are better, especially ones who are going to cost more but have missed time with injuries. 

I wouldn’t go after Robinson. There is no question he’d be a significant help. But it’s a lot of money tied up in one guy and many significant holes to fill. 

We’re close in the sense the culture is right and we have some of the key cogs. But our roster balance is all out of whack.

We need more FA periods like last year and not big splash moves.

Take a shot a Brett Perriman on a 1 year deal and draft another WR. Team desperately needs a guy who can take the top off. Perriman is a high risk/reward guy, but that’s also why the team won’t be forced to give a deal longer than 1 year. 

I also can get behind idea of going all in on Robinson, due to Mcclaurin having two more seasons on a rookie deal. A Robinson deal will require huge guarantees for the first two years and less after that, just in time to evaluate what to do with Mcclaurin. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t go after Robinson.

Would Corey Davis be the less expensive option? He's only had one good year. It'll also be interesting who gets the tag and who doesn't. You'd have to think they'll get a deal done with Scherff sooner rather than later. Left side, if we don't draft a LT, I am fine going with some combination of Lucas, Christian, Charles, VM+I type guy--perhaps maintain continuity rather than chase someone that might not fit. I think Matsko has done a terrific job with the line. They're not great, but they're far better than what we expected.

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Take a shot a Brett Perriman on a 1 year deal and draft another WR. Team desperately needs a guy who can take the top off. Perriman is a high risk/reward guy, but that’s also why the team won’t be forced to give a deal longer than 1 year. 

Brett Perriman may be just a little too old for football these days.... 🤣

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Would Corey Davis be the less expensive option? He's only had one good year. It'll also be interesting who gets the tag and who doesn't. You'd have to think they'll get a deal done with Scherff sooner rather than later. Left side, if we don't draft a LT, I am fine going with some combination of Lucas, Christian, Charles, VM+I type guy--perhaps maintain continuity rather than chase someone that might not fit. I think Matsko has done a terrific job with the line. They're not great, but they're far better than what we expected.

Yes. Pretty much everyone is less than ARob. ARob is looking for 20M/season...ish.

Davis would be half that. Could sign two dudes + John Ross as a reclamation project and a rookie and have an entire new receiving corps.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I’ve been lobbying for Davis for a while. I think he’ll never thrive as the guy but he can definitely be the ideal 2nd WR. What’s the point of two #1 receivers if we’re going to be a run heavy team?

Here's my argument against Allen Robinson. He's the WR1. He's the alpha, the young up and coming WR you throw a ton of money at and expect 1200+ yards from.

We have that in McLaurin.

The problem is we have very little BEHIND McLaurin. So personally I would rather save the $$ and surround McLaurin with the type of talent that would let him BE Allen Robinson (or likely better) without the massive financial resources that would take. Instead of doubling down at WR when you don't really have a franchise QB ... go get a solid WR2 and draft another WR to bolster the longterm viability of the group even more, and make it so you can financially make a McLaurin extension work in a couple of years.

Just my 2 cents. To me Curtis Samuel fits the best. We were rumored to be interested in him (whether true or not) last off-season via trade. Let's go sign him to a contract that pays him a good amount but gives him a chance to out-perform the contract (Garcon-esque). Many thought we drafted Antonio Gibson to be the WFT version of Carolina's Curtis Samuel until it was evident we were going to trot him out as a full-time RB. So let's just go get Curtis Samuel and plug him in as our WR2 and gadget guy. Draft another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round and hope that Gandy-Golden, Sims, Sims and Wright can properly fill out the back-end of the WR group (WRs4-6).

34 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's my argument against Allen Robinson. He's the WR1. He's the alpha, the young up and coming WR you throw a ton of money at and expect 1200+ yards from.

We have that in McLaurin.

The problem is we have very little BEHIND McLaurin. So personally I would rather save the $$ and surround McLaurin with the type of talent that would let him BE Allen Robinson (or likely better) without the massive financial resources that would take. Instead of doubling down at WR when you don't really have a franchise QB ... go get a solid WR2 and draft another WR to bolster the longterm viability of the group even more, and make it so you can financially make a McLaurin extension work in a couple of years.

Just my 2 cents. To me Curtis Samuel fits the best. We were rumored to be interested in him (whether true or not) last off-season via trade. Let's go sign him to a contract that pays him a good amount but gives him a chance to out-perform the contract (Garcon-esque). Many thought we drafted Antonio Gibson to be the WFT version of Carolina's Curtis Samuel until it was evident we were going to trot him out as a full-time RB. So let's just go get Curtis Samuel and plug him in as our WR2 and gadget guy. Draft another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round and hope that Gandy-Golden, Sims, Sims and Wright can properly fill out the back-end of the WR group (WRs4-6).

If I hear a few more people stamp their approval that Robinson is a beast and a top 5-10 type guy, then I’m all for it. All that I’ve read to date is that’s the case. Mcclaurin being on the cheap for two more years provides the team a unique window to invest heavily in one guy and not dedicate too much cap to one position. You figure a Robinson deal will be 2 year guaranteed type deal balled up into 4 years, maybe Robinson has the leverage to get a team locked in for 3 years. 

Also, I’m one who believes every guy will get injured each year, so I like the idea of having two WR weapons that can keep the passing game afloat when the other misses time. Must have contingency plans for this upcoming 2 year SB window. 

58 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Brett Perriman may be just a little too old for football these days.... 🤣

Haha... he was good in his day. I’ve done that a few times now that you called me out on it, which appreciate by the way lol

Open to Breshad Perriman and just realized Brett is his father. How about that!! 

I have the utmost confidence in the scouting staff for this team. Don't take away draft picks for high priced veterans from other teams. Sign mid-tier unpolished "diamonds" in free agency. When you feel the roster is strong in almost all aspects, that's when you trade away high draft picks for pricy veterans or top 10 draft picks.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We are going to go big and spend in a couple of areas. It’s just a matter of which ones.

Hoping LB, UK.  That's probably the best place to feast for them rather than in the draft.  I think LB heads the FA group in 2021.   Could be wrong though. 

I just don’t think it’s wise to blow $20M/AAV on a receiver that isn’t a homegrown guy. I think it’s a mistake, quite frankly.

Thats not to downplay ARob. He is an excellent receiver who would help us tremendously. But his cost is a hindrance to plugging holes. 

14 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Speaking of Trent...

It has been clear for quite some time that when it comes to money, Trent is looking out for Trent. This situation is not at all surprising and in fact expected.

I'm never really mad at a guy getting whats his, but this is the second situation in just a couple of years where he paints himself in a bad corner. 9ers should feel gutted.

On that note, it feels like we are seeing the evaporation of the "hometown discount"

I don't really understand the aversion here to spending big money to land a top FA. That's where we have had the most success. Allen Robinson is worth it. This team needs a few more elite players and this is a chance to get one. He's going to make whoever we have at QB look better. McLaurin will look better. Sims, or whoeever our #3 is next year will look better. There are a lot of downstream benefits to paying Allen Robinson. 

Archived