Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Look around the league, every one of these good teams has 2 very good WR's.

We should have signed A. Robinson when he left Jacksonville but I'm guessing Bruce was too cheap.

If we don't add a quality WR then we're not being serious about next season, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Huh ?

Is that the quickest that a coach has ever been fired, after becoming Super Bowl champions ?

Surely, it's not because of tanking. Because that got them a better draft pick. And the people that do the firing appreciate a higher draft pick, more than anyone else does.

My guess is he "lost" the locker room. Because I heard the players were so angry with him pulling Hurts in our game, that they had to be restrained.

considering the cost maybe they're looking for a coach who can reclaim Wentz

34 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Huh ?

Is that the quickest that a coach has ever been fired, after becoming Super Bowl champions ?

Surely, it's not because of tanking. Because that got them a better draft pick. And the people that do the firing appreciate a higher draft pick, more than anyone else does.

My guess is he "lost" the locker room. Because I heard the players were so angry with him pulling Hurts in our game, that they had to be restrained.

When multiple players have to be restrained from their coach, that's not a good sign.

I think it's more likely a culmination of stuff, i.e. reported yesterday the first meeting didn't go well.  Pederson was probably telling the owner Wentz sucks and move on.  LOL  He'll probably move on to the Jets.  There's a connection there but glad he's out of our division.  Pederson is a good coach.

Just now, HigSkin said:

I think it's more likely a culmination of stuff, i.e. reported yesterday the first meeting didn't go well.  Pederson was probably telling the owner Wentz sucks and move on.  LOL  He'll probably move on to the Jets.  There's a connection there but glad he's out of our division.  Pederson is a good coach.

Yea, that explains the unusual delay in the firing.

Like carex said, probably QB-related. But pertaining to the future, and not exclusively the actual Hurts benching, probably.

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I started to type out more about the down-the-road contracts like Terry, Sweat, and even Chase (not to mention guys like Gibson, Curl, Holcomb, etc), but I didn’t want to get too into the weeds.  Pushing off significant portions of contracts, particularly guaranteed money, could come back to bite us.  Of course, some of these contracts (Scherff and Darby for instance) could be more like 3 year deals - allowing them another pay day prior to hitting their 30’s - which could alleviate those space for those later contract extensions.... as you know.

@jsharrin55  You make some good points, and you’re right that I was being very conservative.  Partly I was trying to bring a dose of realism to those calling for A. Robinson, Scherff, a top ILB, a high end FS, and then some...  It’s not impossible, but it felt like they are at least somewhat discounting the future cost/effect of 1) using all available cap space, 2) pushing contract money out, and 3) our future re-signings.

FYI, as I mentioned, the 40 mil cap space was based on an estimated 192mil cap.

As per pushing things out later, teams may have an idea they will move to the 225mill range that was originally the guess for 2022.  I think if they truly do 175 this year and 225 to "get back" on track, we will see a lot of deals that are lowered even more year one.  As mentioned they did with Chase Roullier and time will tell, but that's the only window we have to know the plan going into the offseason. 

I will say outside of the big money offer to Cooper they did lesser deals last year.  So they very well could do Scherff, 1 WR and then look for fits in what we'd all call the tier 2 field.  The guys we did get like Logan Thomas, KPL, Darby and McKissic all played with contracts we would mostly agree were some level of value contract.  Schweizter vs Flowers was not a big production drop off despite the salary difference 3/30 vs 3/13.5.  I would like to see 2 largish FA and I think the worries of resigning DL guys in future isn't too much of a concern.  Although I really don't know if I want to see what Chase Young will cost after the rookie deal...haha.  Worth it I'm sure, but it will be big numbers / cap %.

55 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I just posted this over in the QB thread, but it fits here best ...

Per OTC, our 2021 Cap Space with a released Alex Smith is $57m. This is $176m based cap + $22m rollover and a cap of $198m.

But our cap space in 2022 and 2023 is $133m and $177m. Obviously both of those numbers will go down as you add rookie pool and 2021 free agents, but it's not like we have any major issues with money in the future. We could add Samuel and Lavonte David, bring back Scherff, Darby, Kyle Allen and Heinecke ... and still have $77m in 2022 and $118m in 2023. That is plenty of $$ to re-sign guys like Allen, Payne, McLaurin when the time comes.

If we choose to go QB in the 1st round to pair with Allen/Heinecke, then we are even better positioned ... with low cap $$ committed to QB for the next 4-5 years, which is gold in the NFL. It would allow you to sign all the guys you have going forward if you so choose to. And if you keep drafting well, you can eventually let guys like Landon Collins go and save some big $$ there too.

We don't have any high-priced players at QB, WR, EDGE or LT ... which are all premier and expensive positions. Sweat and Chase won't be owed any big money until 2022 and 2023, and we have almost no $$ committed in those years.

This was a much more efficient way to say what I was trying to say.  Haha.

Another benefit of having two #1s as I give Robinson more thought and attempt to justify a 20mil per year deal, is the both of them allowing the offense to be effective if the other misses time due to injury (which is almost always a certainty). 

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Another benefit of having two #1s as I give Robinson more thought and attempt to justify a 20mil per year deal, is the both of them allowing the offense to be effective if the other misses time due to injury (which is almost always a certainty). 

The FO tried to sign Cooper to big $$ last offseason and one of our most obvious flaws this season was WR. So I think it's blindingly obvious that they take a run at a FA WR, and I think they probably back up the truck for Robinson.

Call me crazy, but I would let Scherff walk. For several reasons.

I don't think he's worth the money that he will demand. Unless he gives us a huge hometown discount.

I think he's a bit over-rated, despite the recognition he's received. At least in pass-blocking, he is.

And his health and durability is a question. Hasn't played a full season in 5 years.

We do have a lot of cap space, but I think we're going to need a lot of it, to extend our numerous valuable guys that we don't want walking for more money

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Call me crazy, but I would let Scherff walk. For several reasons.

I don't think he's worth the money that he will demand. Unless he gives us a huge hometown discount.

I think he's a bit over-rated, despite the recognition he's received. At least in pass-blocking, he is.

And his health and durability is a question. Hasn't played a full season in 5 years.

We do have a lot of cap space, but I think we're going to need a lot of it, to extend our numerous valuable guys that we don't want walking for more money

he's the first first team all-pro we've had in over two decades

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Isn't he a FA?

IDK but even if he is, no team will have a better sense of his health than us and no team has a more pressing need at LB than us either. I just haven't heard anything about him but remember, he's still young. So who knows

No news that I've heard on Foster.  Wouldn't be surprised if we try to get him for close to vet minimum.  No one else is likely to take a chance

Hamilton being cut saves us $920,000

everyone signed was someone already on our PS this season, no new faces

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

So Davis is retiring and S. Dion Hamilton gets released.  Incoming MLB's and does that mean it becomes a #1 target in FA?

It’s maybe 1c after 1a QB and 1b WR.

or its 1b after 1a WR if we are drafting a QB.

or yes, it’s #1 :ols:

Just now, PartyPosse said:

SDH getting released only tells me they’re getting an early start on drastically revamping their LBs. still seems foolish since he’s been a key part of ST for better or worse for a while now.

He was possibly PFF’s lowest graded defender on this team. He is probably exclusively a 3-4 ILB. You can find guys like Hudson who are good on ST AND promising as defenders

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd be happy if our biggest free agent move is re-signing Scherff and a few other guys, then just filling out the roster with C+ - B level free agents and working through the draft.  I feel like your frequent playoff teams (Steelers, Ravens, etc.) never seem to be the team that is making the biggest FA moves of the offseason.

As an example, the largest free agency deals in 2020 appear to have been paid out by the Titans, Giants, and Dolphins.  The Titans threw a ton of money at Ryan Tannehill, the Dolphins paid Byron Jones (two career interceptions) 87 million for five years.  This first year of that deal....two interceptions.

I dunno, I'm so used to us being the Haynesworth team, the Archulate team, I'd love to see this progress for a few years without being the team that makes a huge splash.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm curious if Mychal Kendricks is in the mix ?

Also remember JHC comes back, if the team is interested in him.

I doubt Kendrick's is top of mind.  He only played 1 game this year.  Maybe they're clearing positions and cap space for the big FA fishes?

26 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

So Davis is retiring and S. Dion Hamilton gets released.  Incoming MLB's and does that mean it becomes a #1 target in FA?

I think so.  Seems like there are some good options in FA a LB. 

While I disagree with Lurie that you need to have a dominant offense to be a dominant team.  I do agree that a dominant defense alone is unlikely going to get you to the promised land.  You need at least a good offense and IMO to do that here we need more than just to slightly upgrade what we got.  I think we need to add a really strong lead actor type to add to what we have.  Gibson, McLaurin, Thomas alone don't make a good offense.  We need one more dominant type player in that mix IMO. 

19 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I dunno, I'm so used to us being the Haynesworth team, the Archulate team, I'd love to see this progress for a few years without being the team that makes a huge splash.

I'd be with you if this is one of the same old same old WFT rosters.  But this one might have a SB window,  Waiting for a few years squanders a unique opportunity to have a dominant D line on rookie contracts.  That band will likely be broken up in a few years. 

38 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Seems like they practically have a billboard up for the off season.  They aren't shy at telegraphing:

WR, MLB, QB. 

Archived