Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

35 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't really understand the aversion here to spending big money to land a top FA. That's where we have had the most success. Allen Robinson is worth it. This team needs a few more elite players and this is a chance to get one. He's going to make whoever we have at QB look better. McLaurin will look better. Sims, or whoeever our #3 is next year will look better. There are a lot of downstream benefits to paying Allen Robinson. 

This is an interesting take because I am the exact opposite.

I don’t understand the fascination with paying big money to a guy and making it harder on ourselves to fill the roster (which has a ton of holes) with quality players in as many places as possible. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Trents been a piece of **** for a very long time. **** that trasher.

and there are probably still some people here who believe the TW situation was ALL Bruce. Don’t get me wrong he was part of it, but it was 50/50 and Trent went as low as he could go to try to get more money out of this franchise. Couldn’t be happier to see the 9ers nose dive this year.

On the FA front, although I agree that we don’t NEED an AROB alpha across from terry, I think it would be a massive help. Look what teams did the second half of the season, only focused on shutting down terry... and they kind of who did. Who knows if this was due to Haskins and Alex’s inefficiency throwing down field, but our passing game was awful. Now I add another stud across from terry and this offense takes a step forward.

I’d love Curtis Samuel in the slot. I didn’t think we’d miss crowder as much as we do.

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

and there are probably still some people here who believe the TW situation was ALL Bruce. Don’t get me wrong he was part of it, but it was 50/50 and Trent went as low as he could go to try to get more money out of this franchise. Couldn’t be happier to see the 9ers nose dive this year.

On the FA front, although I agree that we don’t NEED an AROB alpha across from terry, I think it would be a massive help. Look what teams did the second half of the season, only focused on shutting down terry... and they kind of who did. Who knows if this was due to Haskins and Alex’s inefficiency throwing down field, but our passing game was awful. Now I add another stud across from terry and this offense takes a step forward.

I’d love Curtis Samuel in the slot. I didn’t think we’d miss crowder as much as we do.

I’m not gonna really defend Trent here, but I will say that he was baptized in the NFL by this franchise, and in hindsight, I can’t say I’m surprised that he has acted the way he has.  

27 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Not in defense of Trent. But I think most don’t have to be convinced of Trent’s short comings...

But I think the part that most people are most frustrated with is the fact the FO didn’t trade him at the peak of his value.

5 hours ago, CTskin said:

The TW situation was always fishy when you really pressed into it, but of course, the moron national sports media gave us the usual Redskins treatment and acted like Bruce personally gave him the cancer. I spoke about this in the Heinicke Hive thread, but it's hard for me to overstate how much I resent the NFL's Clown Commentariat - so many of whom have come through Ashburn on their way up Mt. Dumbass.

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

The TW situation was always fishy when you really pressed into it, but of course, the moron national sports media gave us the usual Redskins treatment and acted like Bruce personally gave him the cancer. I spoke about this in the Heinicke Hive thread, but it's hard for me to overstate how much I resent the NFL's Clown Commentariat - so many of whom have come through Ashburn on their way up Mt. Dumbass.

Mt Dumbass?  I know quite a few people that need to go up that Mt and stay there.  

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

This is an interesting take because I am the exact opposite.

I don’t understand the fascination with paying big money to a guy and making it harder on ourselves to fill the roster (which has a ton of holes) with quality players in as many places as possible. 

Exactly.  Too many holes to break the bank.  Keep our draft picks & spend wisely in FA no need to go overboard on WR especially when we don’t even have an elite QB.  Great WR’s never make mediocre QB’s look great.  But great QB’s can make mediocre WR’s look better.  Always remember this.

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think we have that many holes. 

Glaring- WR2, MLB, WLB, FS

Upgradable- WR3, TE1, OT, RB

That is not a monumental hill to climb.

I disagree a bit.

Glaring (meaning the talent we have at the position is NFL back up quality): ILB, FS, WR2, Slot, RB

In the case of RB it’s not a quality issue but a durability issue and maximizing abilities by not running the guys we have currently into the ground. They are both more than capable NFL guys. 

Upgradeable (Meaning the guy there is fringe NFL quality or aging): QB, ILB, Slot Corner, WR4, RT, TE2

Could be a problem depending on offseason: CB2, RG

Just now, KDawg said:

I disagree a bit.

Glaring (meaning the talent we have at the position is NFL back up quality): ILB, FS, WR2, Slot, RB

In the case of RB it’s not a quality issue but a durability issue and maximizing abilities by not running the guys we have currently into the ground. They are both more than capable NFL guys. 

Upgradeable (Meaning the guy there is fringe NFL quality or aging): QB, ILB, Slot Corner, WR4, RT

Could be a problem depending on offseason: CB2, RG

I can agree with that. There is some assumption to my post, in that Darby and Scherff I think will both be back.

I think we're all in agreement that we have out largest holes at WR2, MLB, FS. Those are the 3 that absolutely must be addressed. 

I believe Barber is the upgradable RB position and I completely agree. I think a few of us have been focusing on more of a Big feature back type. I wouldn't mind a FB/RB type there.

WR3/Slot is interesting for sure. Outside of TMC we have no WRs, so we'll have to throw some sizable resources at that, which I agree with you about not putting them all in the ARob basket. I'd prefer the buckshot approach myself. Draft+Samuels maybe? Harmon coming back as a WR2 would be huge, but we obviously can't count on that. Cam will be on the roster and if he can learn to stop dropping balls, could have a role.

I think if we keep Darby, Fuller and Moreland and address FS, our secondary looks much better, especially if we bring in 2 LBers who are starters, so the secondary isn't getting exposed in quick soft zones and underneath routes like Brady enjoyed.

I think there are a lot of addressable positions on our team. On every team to be honest, but as far as having no one to play the position, WR2, FS, MLB, OLB.

Why do we need Robinson? There is a glut of wr talent in fa that the team should be more than happy with. Golladay, Jones, Fuller, Smith-Schuster, Godwin, Davis, and thats not even counting the second tier guys like Reynolds, Pascal, and Higgins. All would be massive upgrades of what we currently have.

I'm not against the Allen Robinson signing but I think with all the young guys coming up, I'd rather have all the cap space we have going towards their contracts. Here's how I see the roster and where we need to upgrade

QB: Allen, Heinicke, [open spot]

RB: Gibson. JDM, [open spot]

WR: McLaurin, C. Sims, Harmon, [open spot], [open_spot], [open spot]

TE: Thomas, [open spot], [open spot]

LT: Lucas, Charles

LG: Wes S, [open spot]

Center: Roullier, Ismael

RG: Scherff, [open spot]

RT: Moses, [open spot]

DE: Young, Sweat, [open spot], 

DT: Allen, Payne, Matt I. Settle

ILB: [all open]

OLB: Cole Holcomb, KPL

FS: Reaves, [open spot]

SS: Curl, [open spot]

CB: Darby, Fuller, Moreland, [open spot], [open spot], [open spot]

P: Way

K: [open spot]

LS: Sundberg

This makes a few assumptions like Scherff and Darby being back. But by my assumption that's at least 16 open spots on this roster. We'll probably get 8-10 draft picks & UDFAs in here to compete for some of these spots. We already have guys on the roster who can also compete for some of these spots (like all the bodies we have at WR). But I'd hope that we are looking at some current backups who could use more playing time to help us upgrade at these spots. 

I’ve seen Godwin’s name tossed around... and let me preface this by saying everyone has bad games... and Godwin’s sample size is overall pretty damn good...

But those 4 drops against us were enough to make me say, “is this guy worth15M/AAV?”

To be fair, those drops equaled his career total. So it was obviously a poor game. If he succeeds the rest of the time Tampa is alive then it’s a total non factor. But in the biggest game he’s played in his career he had four gigantic drops. 

Let’s see if he corrects.

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Unless we do something at QB before the start of FA, no WR1 like ARob will sign here.

We'd have to throw unreasonable amounts of cash to get an elite WR to choose to catch passes from our current stable of QBs.

Curtis Samuel has caught passes from Heinicke and Allen in his career

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm not against the Allen Robinson signing but I think with all the young guys coming up, I'd rather have all the cap space we have going towards their contracts. Here's how I see the roster and where we need to upgrade

This makes a few assumptions like Scherff and Darby being back. But by my assumption that's at least 16 open spots on this roster. We'll probably get 8-10 draft picks & UDFAs in here to compete for some of these spots. We already have guys on the roster who can also compete for some of these spots (like all the bodies we have at WR). But I'd hope that we are looking at some current backups who could use more playing time to help us upgrade at these spots. 

this is very nicely done, though I do disagree on some things.  I especially think you're underestimating our lower tier depth.  For example our SS depth is likely going to be filling by Desahzor Everett and/or Cole Luke.  Greg Stroman and Danny Johnson are likely good enough for the 5th and 6th CB slots.  Our 5th and 6th WRs are likely guys already on the roster, I also wouldn't be surprised to see our 3rd TE as someone on the roster.  I hope Barber is on the team next year, I like having a modern Gerald Riggs, the open spot is likely a 4th RB.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see David Sharpe back as a backup tackle, he's a FA but you have some FA  there.  I feel like one of our OL starters who can play multiple positions will be a backup next year taking one of those open spots

42 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Unless we do something at QB before the start of FA, no WR1 like ARob will sign here.

We'd have to throw unreasonable amounts of cash to get an elite WR to choose to catch passes from our current stable of QBs.

Even with ****ty QBs McLaurin caught 87 balls for almost 1200 yards, that's with missing a game plus. We aren't going to go with what we have right now, if someone doesn't want to sign here because of what we have right now, we failed to detail the plan moving forward. They'll sign here regardless of what we have currently at the position.

Good post... I've taken your list and amended it a bit to fit what I think is going on:

QB (2): Allen, Heinicke, [open spot], [open spot PRACTICE SQUAD]

RB (3): [Open Spot], Gibson. JDM, [open spot PRACTICE SQUAD]

WR (5): McLaurin, C. Sims, Harmon, [open spot], [open_spot] 

TE: (3) Thomas, [open spot], [open spot]

LT (3): Lucas, Christian, [open spot]

LG (2): Wes S, Charles

Center (2): Roullier, Ismael

RG (2) : Scherff, [open spot]

RT (2): Moses, [open spot]

Offense: 24 players

DE (4): Young, Sweat, [open spot], [open spot]

DT (4) : Allen, Payne, Matt I. Settle

ILB (4): [all open]

OLB (3): Cole Holcomb, Hudson, KPL

FS (2) : [Open Spot], Everett, Reaves(practice squad)

SS (2): Curl, Collins

CB (6): Darby, Fuller, Moreland, [open spot], [open spot], [open spot]

Defense: 25 players

Specs: 3 Players

Last spot is for whoever really shows out.

Now, barring draft picks a lot of this changes with some cuts and stuff, too. But right now with the current roster I would say this is where we are with the 53.

For clarity: I bolded my changes.

Assuming the below don't get resigned, some open spots I'd target:

RB: Malcom Brown, Mike Davis

WR: Curtis Samuel, Will Fuller, Chris Conley

DE: Think Smith-Williams can fill this need

FS: Marcus Williams, Tashaun Gipson

CB: Michael Hilton, Mike Davis

LB: BJ Goodson

4 minutes ago, carex said:

this is very nicely done, though I do disagree on some things.  I especially think you're underestimating our lower tier depth.  For example our SS depth is likely going to be filling by Desahzor Everett and/or Cole Luke.  Greg Stroman and Danny Johnson are likely good enough for the 5th and 6th CB slots.  Our 5th and 6th WRs are likely guys already on the roster, I also wouldn't be surprised to see our 3rd TE as someone on the roster.  I hope Barber is on the team next year, I like having a modern Gerald Riggs, the open spot is likely a 4th RB.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see David Sharpe back as a backup tackle, he's a FA but you have some FA  there.  I feel like one of our OL starters who can play multiple positions will be a backup next year taking one of those open spots

I think you mention some players who may indeed make the team, but I don't think they're by any means guaranteed spots.

Maybe Everett is based on teams and his play at FS before Reaves.

At WR - Wright, S Sims, AGG. I think these are all guys that could be good depth guys but none has done enough to secure a guaranteed spot. Maybe S Sims but he made so many drops I don't know.

To me Cole Luke is just a guy. Maybe he stays but I don't know enough about him. 

Stroman and Johnson aren't starting CBs and I think that's what keeps them from securing a spot on the roster. Maybe they stay, especially Johnson who has teams value but he can be replaced with little loss. 

3rd TE? Who's our second? Moss is here and I think he has the upper hand at the position. There's also Hemmingway and Baugh but neither showed me they belong here. Honestly I'd rather have Hentges. Hopefully Sprinkle is gone now. 

Barber can stay but I was discussing how I'd like to see him upgraded with a more versatile RB (Kapri Bibbs type) or a FB, or really somebody who can block better and pick up blitzes. Riggs is a good example because I was thinking about him. I didn't know of his career in Atlanta before he came here. 

Sharpe is not in my positive light because of the Seattle game. He got abused then Moses got abused. But maybe he comes back. 

There are a number of other guys we have on our roster who may stay here but I don't think any of these spots are secure. 

Just now, steve09ru said:

Assuming the below don't get resigned, some open spots I'd target:

RB: Malcom Brown, Mike Davis

WR: Curtis Samuel, Will Fuller, Chris Conley

DE: Think Smith-Williams can fill this need

FS: Marcus Williams, Tashaun Gipson

CB: Michael Hilton, Mike Davis

LB: BJ Goodson

If we go back in FA I think I'd look into Carson. I don't think I'd go back in FA though.

LB I'd look to David first. That's the spot I'd be willing to pony the bucks moreso than receiver, even though I view LB/WR2 as our two largest holes). 

I like the receiver list. I'd add Davis and subtract Will Fuller. Fuller is talented but he's played in 53/80 games in his career. His only season with more than 11 played was his rookie year.

Davis is averaging 51 receptions or so and 700 yards a season in his career. And he's played in the majority of the games in his career. Missing 1-2/season aside from his rookie year. 

I wouldn't sleep on Sammy Watkins as a sleeper guy at the position. I'd have to see his drop stats. But if we could afford to bring in, say: Watkins + Davis or Davis + Hilton for less than the cost of ARob combined I'd do it in a heart beat.

Maybe take a chance on a John Ross reclamation project for basically no cost and add a rookie and now you have a totally retooled receiver room WITH competition. 

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we go back in FA I think I'd look into Carson. I don't think I'd go back in FA though.

LB I'd look to David first. That's the spot I'd be willing to pony the bucks moreso than receiver, even though I view LB/WR2 as our two largest holes). 

I like the receiver list. I'd add Davis and subtract Will Fuller. Fuller is talented but he's played in 53/80 games in his career. His only season with more than 11 played was his rookie year.

Davis is averaging 51 receptions or so and 700 yards a season in his career. And he's played in the majority of the games in his career. Missing 1-2/season aside from his rookie year. 

I wouldn't sleep on Sammy Watkins as a sleeper guy at the position. I'd have to see his drop stats. But if we could afford to bring in, say: Watkins + Davis or Davis + Hilton for less than the cost of ARob combined I'd do it in a heart beat.

Maybe take a chance on a John Ross reclamation project for basically no cost and add a rookie and now you have a totally retooled receiver room WITH competition. 

Yeah, the LB was assuming we go ILB with our 1st rounder.  Also setting aside some money for Scherff and Darby.  I think we have a number of young guys but could use a solid RB which Carson could be an option as well.  Really like both Brown and Davis as they could really compliment AG and McKissic.

WR I agree and don't want to overspend on ARob and would rather grab 2 for the price of 1.

I was just reading up on some potential ILBs for us, I want to do more research when I get some time but figured I'd bookmark it here. These are the guys I'd be looking at in free agency. They may cost a pretty penny depending so if that's the case then maybe not but here are the names

Anthony Walker
Jayon Brown
Reggie Ragland
Neville Hewitt
B.J. Goodson

Archived