Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

18 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

What are you talking about? We got Alex Smith and we got Kendall Fuller. We got all the players in the trade! 4D chess move right there.

For a second I was going to snap at you.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

That’s not going to happen. Too many teams have money to spend. Realistically only 3 or so teams spent today. At some point we’re going to be happy with the Josh Wilson’s and Stephen Bowen’s is the scraps.

Again, I’m not advocating for breaking the bank on FA, but I would like to see an effort to at least offset the losses. The draft will not fix everything unless the plan is to trade down from #2.

Like that means anything. 

You have to start over and in order to rebuild you must remain disciplined & build from the draft while adding bargain pieces through free agency.  You’d be fooling yourself to think this is going to be a quick rebuild.  This will take time.  But if don’t right the Redskins can see big gains in the next few seasons.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

We have no idea what we have in Wes Martin and the hit/miss ratio in 5th and 6th rounds isn’t great for anyone. You’re basically assuming that your top 3 round picks are starters and everyone else is a crapshoot.

No I'm just saying that the draft is more than 1 round and some what refuting how you made it seem like we got significantly worse than last year. To my knowledge we only lost Ereck Flowers. Color me underwhelmed, it's f'n Ereck Flowers - he performed above expectation but it's not like he's dropping us from a 3-13 team to a 1-15 team.  Now, 2-14...maybe. (Joking)

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

As far as I understand, Allen wouldn't be competing with Chase. He'd be a DT like Payne, Ion, and Settle. He'd make awesome depth, but if we really must trade someone, I'd wait until after seeing them on the field to decide who among Allen, Payne, and Ion is expendable.

He could be a 4-3 end who slides to the middle on third and long. That line is too light without Payne as a regular, so it's really only a matter of Allen vs. Ioannidis, and Ioannidis is signed for a year past Allen's fifth year option and has been a bit better. That's not a insult to Allen, either. 

Glad this team is not spending $20M/yr for Cooper. If you are spending that type of money, you need a lock and Cooper has been injury prone and up and down thus far in his career. I'd rather this team take another WR in the 4th like a Bryan Edwards and sign someone like Funchess to the vet minimum to round out the receiving corps. 

I like bringing Fuller back as long as we let him play the slot where he is best at and the Atlanta guard is a versatile guy that can start alongside Martin in 2021 as one of those guys replaces Roullier, who is not worth big bucks.

My wishlist at this point. Should be able to fit in at $45M

- Delanie Walker on a 1-2 yr deal (has not been healthy but when healthy he is a complete TE - I'd look to get him for 5 per). No other TEs worth it out there

- Tre Boston or Damarious Randall

- Trae Waynes on a 1 or 2 year deal to compete w Moreau for the other outside spot or to start if Dunbar is moved. Either way, Moreau, Moreland and Stroman are good depth.

- Jason Peters on a 1-2 year deal at $12M-$15M per year. Gives you a stopgap and ability to take a project LT to develop behind him

- Joe Schobert (can cover up Schobert's runstopping deficiencies with Holcomb and a good Will next to him - would love to use Schobert's pass rushing abilities as a blitzer. ADG or Logan Wilson in rd 3 would round out this LB corps. A corps of Schobert, Holcomb, Wilson, SDH, Bostic, Anderson and perhaps R. Foster is deep and talented)

Covers all our needs and we actually end up with depth at a lot of spots. Allows us to use the draft to go for BPAs in the first 4 rounds of this deep draft vs having to focus on filling need. With the group allow, in the first four rounds, I'm taking Young, Davis Gaither, Bryan Edwards and Pinkney. 

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He could be a 4-3 end who slides to the middle on third and long. That line is too light without Payne as a regular, so it's really only a matter of Allen vs. Ioannidis, and Ioannidis is signed for a year past Allen's fifth year option and has been a bit better. That's not a insult to Allen, either. 

I'd wait until midseason. If both guys are crushing it as we expect, some team will pay up with at least a second for one of these guys. Even if you trade one, you still have a lot of great depth between Settle, Brantley and Hester (although one of the three is gone by the end of TC)

4 minutes ago, method man said:

'd wait until midseason. If both guys are crushing it as we expect, some team will pay up with at least a second for one of these guys. Even if you trade one, you still have a lot of great depth between Settle, Brantley and Hester (although one of the three is gone by the end of TC)

I don't see why waiting until half of Allen's last cheap season is gone makes him more valuable, nor do I see any reason to expect him to do anything as a rotational player that would make him more of a commodity than he already is. 

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

Gehlken trying to make the cowgirls look good by saying the Redskins offered over-the-top money. STHU and take ya 50/50 WR $100mil contract and throw a completion to him for once. 

Let me help. Looks like the deepest WR draft since '14 and '96, so perhaps spending 100 mill on a WR wasn't terribly smart. We'll see what happens, but I am ecstatic we didn't overpay for Cooper. We can land a legit WR in this draft on a 4 year contract that's an infinitesimal fraction of what Cooper's earning, and even if we fail in that endeavor, we've still got McLaurin locked in for three more years on a deal that was originally 4 years and 3.875 mill, yes, that's right, McLaurin is earning less than 1/20th what Cooper will. Kinda easy on what option is wiser. Let's draft ourselves another WR on day 2. 

18 minutes ago, redrobert said:

Emmanuel Sanders is still out there, I know he’s 33 but could be a good add at the right price. Solid mentor as well for our young WR Group.

He's exactly the type of guy whose skill-set could lend itself to a long career for him. Came back from an ACL in his 30's like it was nothing. Not saying you sign him to a 5 year deal. But you sign him for a year or two and then reevaluate, cheaper each time. 

For what it's worth. I'm happy we kept our draft capital. There where some crazy trades. Lot of high picks got send away. Glad we didn't do that. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Also missed the Stefon Diggs trade to the bills??? What???? 

I don't get how they fall for it again. The Watkins deal didn't work out for them so do it again...

9 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't get how they fall for it again. The Watkins deal didn't work out for them so do it again...

They drafted Watkins and he was a great prospect coming out. You can't be afraid of every WR ever after that. Totally different FO too.

I agree it was pricey....but setting aside the 4th rounder and late round swap, it was basically a 1st round price. And a late 1st at that (#25). It's a good WR class and there's an argument to be made that Diggs has some red flags. Still super young and explosive/talented. Great route runner (top 5 in the league). Passionate and a little mouthy, which fits into the Bills Mafia mindset pretty well.

It's a risk but when you're sitting on a young, struggling potential franchise QB (you hope) on a rookie contract, you need to surround him with talent and help him develop within that rookie contract window.

Their best WR last year was John Brown. He's underrated, but also injury prone, up and down, and turning 30, and not a real WR1 at all. 

With all that context...it makes sense that they took the risk on the surer thing in Diggs rather than hope the right guy falls to their 1st round pick, which was #25. Not the Bills usual top-10 selection. 

DB target options for me,

Daryl Worley

Adrian Phillips

Tre Boston

Damarius Randall

then Daryl Williams OL and Joe Schobert ILB. Could still see us liking WR Anderson.

plus, let’s get Trent out of the door.

oh and has Rivers signed anywhere yet......only kidding....:movefast:

50 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He's exactly the type of guy whose skill-set could lend itself to a long career for him. Came back from an ACL in his 30's like it was nothing. Not saying you sign him to a 5 year deal. But you sign him for a year or two and then reevaluate, cheaper each time. 

From an Achilles, which is even more impressive.

1 hour ago, xxprodigyxx said:

No I'm just saying that the draft is more than 1 round and some what refuting how you made it seem like we got significantly worse than last year. To my knowledge we only lost Ereck Flowers. Color me underwhelmed, it's f'n Ereck Flowers - he performed above expectation but it's not like he's dropping us from a 3-13 team to a 1-15 team.  Now, 2-14...maybe. (Joking)

It's not so much about the W/L totals so much as the opportunity to evaluate the pieces we have on offense, and right now it's going to be incredibly difficult to do that unless have an effective OL. Last year the line was average with a career year from Flowers and a surprisingly good season from Penn. Both of them are gone and we're basically a Brandon Scherff exodus from having the worst OL in the NFL and no it's not hyperbole. Without a competent line then it wouldn't matter who we have under center and who the ball is being thrown to. It would absolutely kill Dwayne (or any QB for that matter) development and would give absolutely no insight into whether or not he could be a true #1. 

In terms of where we are now compared to say the end of last season, So far outside of bringing in Ron and getting rid of BA, from a personnel standpoint what's better? Our #1 corner is disgruntled, our LT has basically slammed the door shut of not only returning to the team but of us getting a reasonable return because of his outrageous demands, there's still a lot of chatter about how the regime isn't sold on Dwayne, AP - our MVP - is one year older, we've lost two OL and potentially three (and i've seen no indication anywhere we're remotely close to re-signing Scherff) while only grabbing a reserve in the hopes of finding another (shutter) Ereck Flowers, did I miss anything? Sure the team is one year older and the rookies are now firmly entrenched in the NFL, but now is the time we take advantage of rookie contracts. Either lock up some of our pieces now or spend money because rolling over any leftover cap room doesn't really help when you see how quickly salaries inflate year in and year out. 

Man the Texans must feel even worse now that the Bills paid way more to get Diggs. That Hopkins trade might be one of the worst in NFL history and then he goes out and pays Randall Cobb a boatload of money. That's Bruce Allen type of magic.

Really happy we brought Fuller back. Hope he can excel here once again. I also hope he hasn't lost his insticts on those WR screens. Felt like he blew every single one up behind the LOS in 2017. Got me fired up in front of my TV back then. :headbang:

You’d have to think on day two they’re going to be looking at Littleton, Boston and Ebron

I like that they’ve not overspent unnecessarily barring the potential Cooper deal, but offering that much for Cooper shows just how much they really want a WR and I’m not sure where that’s going to come from now

Unpopular opinion/prediction: With the failed attempt of pursuing Amari Cooper, I could really see the Skins picking up Antonio Brown.  The price tag will be too alluring for the Dan Man to pass up.  

Of course in this AB scenario, they’d have to add some mental health professionals to the team with some contract contingencies for Brown.  And in the end, the Skin’s organization will be missing the point again because it’s the fans who need mental care after years of this circus. 

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

Cooper was absent with a bit of regularity last year, I find it hard to believe we wanted to pay him in excess of 20 million, that would have been ridiculous.

Yeah. I would have liked Cooper but 20M / year is insanity for him. He hasn't been productive enough to demand that kind of cheese.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah. I would have liked Cooper but 20M / year is insanity for him. He hasn't been productive enough to demand that kind of cheese.

Never more than 1200 yards in a season. That contract blows me away, makes me think of the contract the Vikings gave Diggs when he had never had a 1000 yard season.

Archived