Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, crabbypatty said:

I thought I read that Del Rio liked to use a 2 gap system?

How will he be a penetrating 3 tech playing 2 gap?

It’s the modern NFL, so they obviously are going to vary their fronts and coverages and gap responsibilities, but my understanding is that as a general rule in this defense, one of the defensive tackles, likely Payne, will be responsible for 2 gaps and all of the other players will be aggressively shooting gaps and trying to get to the QB on every play. I think Jack Del Rio referred time this as, “tackling the running back on the way to the QB.”. JDR is known for his aggressive fronts, and although he’s been blessed to coach with some great pass rushers, as a rule, those pass rushers have had their most productive years when playing for JDR.

I’m not loving the leftovers at WR. I don’t like the LB options, given the likely cost. I wouldn’t trade for Anthony Harris given that I think he’d cost at least a 4th and will be expensive and isn’t super young.

Tre Boston should be a given, IMHO. Beyond that, I’d be ok with us mostly signing our own guys at this point and maybe kicking the tires on Enron if he isn’t expensive. 

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We won three games last year and have given the impression that we are unsettled at QB because of what I consider to be incompetence in handling Haskins, and a lack of clear commitment to him.  Of course we're not going to be attractive to FAs who are making decisions for one and two season windows.  But our perception can be turned around as soon as next offseason just by winning more games and developing and commiting to Haskins.

I've heard enough beat guys talk about this who supposedly talked to agents that it's not about that they want to see a full commitment to Haskins driving the concern.   It's that Haskins is an unknown.  I know you are a big fan of the dude and I respect your opinion.  But the issue Haskins has perception wise is the same as most young QBs have who didn't kill it from the jump (which are most young QBs) is you don't really know just yet about him. 

It's a different story about more established QBs where it's easier to predict.   And I agree the perception can be turned around.  Keim among others (including ex-players who have talked to people including Hooper) have said for skilled offensive players, everything being equal, they prefer a bird in hand versus the unknown.   Keim in particular has flat out said more or less asking around about Haskins, he gets mixed opinions (some positive, some negative, some in between), but the summary is more or less he's a wildcard-unknown.  the movie has to play out more for Haskins.

5 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Fuller had two interceptions last year and we paid him $40 million.  Must be nice to be him.   I would have stayed in Kansas City if I were in his shoes.

As teams are releasing players who are too expensive for their existing teams we should be pouring over those lists to see if we can grab some of those

guys from other teams.  I think Brady is going to the Bucs with Bruce Arians.  His family moved to Florida.

You are confusing him with Rivers.  Brady did not move his family to Florida but Phil did.

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Brady news is incredibly good fortune for us.  

A. It makes the Chargers more likely to trade for Trent to try to lure Brady there.

B. It makes the Jets more likely to trade for Trent in a now wide-open AFC East.

I will be disappointed if Trent is still here by the end of this week.

For me heck if they get a 2nd rounder for Trent from SD, they can do nothing else in FA and I'd be happy. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am mildly upset at Trent but from a different angle than you are.  If I recall you don't like him from a loyalty to the Redskins angle or money-greed?  For me, I got no issue with a player who has been here forever preferring to go elsewhere for a new start.   I can just imagine the lure of going somewhere would be for a player who put up with all the loses and drama for 10 years or so. 

My thing with Trent is for a dude who wants to go elsewhere -- make it easier for the Redskins to let him do it.  Keim doubled down today again about how Trent's contract demands have turned off suitors.  So if that dude legitimately wants to leave then play ball without being such a hardliner on the contract because otherwise he will get what he doesn't wish for which is a return to the Redskins.

I recall Trent saying something to the effect, that yeah its over now with the Redskins when the Redskins granted his agent the ability to negotiate with other teams.  But here we are and I'd put money that Trent is telling his agent right now something to the effect of dude you told me teams would be lining up to pay me 20 million a  year, what's happening?  And that goes double after yesterday where the Jets-Browns might not even be in the market for Trent anymore.

So my point is I wouldn't let Trent's high demands for a contract dictate giving him away for a ham sandwich.  If they can't trade him for decent compensation, it's on him.   I think Trent is a good LT so I wouldn't give him away.  And if I was mad at Trent, heck it would be even more fun to force him back here.  How humiliating it is to basically get rejected after putting yourself out there like that.  I am not really that mad at Trent but if I were bringing him back to the Redskins I think is a win on that front, too. 

Standig today

Agreed.  I think that IF the Chargers offered their #37 overall (2nd) round pick to us for TW that's be a fair trade and should take place.  You?  :) 

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Tom Brady heads west to the LA Chargers, I think Trent makes a lot of sense over there protecting his blindside.

I would love to get Hunter Henry back from the Chargers in the deal ... maybe even Mike Williams. But I would guess that the team is hoping to load up on offense for a 1-2 year run here, so we are probably talking draft pick(s) not players.

Which is fine with me. The Chargers would be really smart to sign Tom Brady, trade us #37 for Trent Williams, and use the #6 pick on Justin Herbert. But I would assume Tom wants to play 2 more years, so drafting Herbert might be premature, since he'd have to sit for 2 years. Maybe drafting a guy in the 3rd (Hurts) and using #6 somewhere else would be the play there. Hard to say.

But if the Chargers want to protect Tom, having Pick #6 and spending it on an OT is a smart way to go ... but since your window is 2 years with Tom ... maybe 3 ... Trent seems like the perfect fit.

Agree with everything, except for the fact that if Tom goes there, he is telling them you better spend the #6 pick on someone who can help us win now. I'm not going there to groom your next QB. Get Simmons or okudah.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me heck if they get a 2nd rounder for Trent from SD, they can do nothing else in FA and I'd be happy. 

Agreed 100%. If we get #37 for Trent, coupled with the Fuller signing, I'd be ecstatic the way this offseason has started.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've heard enough beat guys talk about this who supposedly talked to agents that it's not about that they want to see a full commitment to Haskins.   It's that Haskins is an unknown.  I know you are a big fan of the dude and I respect your opinion.  But the issue Haskins has perception wise is the same as most young QBs have who didn't kill it from the jump (which are most young QBs) is you don't really know just yet about him.  

It's a different story about more established QBs where it's easier to predict.   And I agree the perception can be turned around.  Keim among others (including ex-players who have talked to people like Hooper) have said for skilled offensive players, everything being equal, they prefer a bird in hand versus the unknown.  

Think about the difference in the way that Darnold, Allen, Murray, and Jones are perceived, and the way that Haskins is perceived.  Those guys have all been just as uneven and struggled just as much as rookies and sophomores as Haskins did.  But their organizations are fully and clearly committed to them.  Free agents know that those guys will be the QB for the team for the one or two year windows in which they're getting the bulk of their guaranteed money.  We created the uncertainty with Haskins by botching his development and failing to commit to him.  It's been a sequence of self-inflicted wounds with our quarterbacks for years, and one of the consequences is that FAs don't trust that we have a plan at QB, and they're not going to choose us over anyone who does seem to have a plan.  Not without us paying through the nose for them.

Just now, RWJ said:

Agreed.  I think that IF the Chargers offered their #37 overall (2nd) round pick to us for TW that's be a fair trade and should take place.  You?  :) 

Yep, I am cool with a 2nd.  Heck I'd go for a third AND a fourth or maybe a 5th and that's purely driven by me loving this draft because otherwise I wouldn't see that as a fair deal.

For example, lets say there is something to the SD thing and they are chasing Brady with the promise of Trent -- if that doesn't go down because Trent insists on 20 million, then heck he made his own bed.  I do buy that he genuinely wants to leave so his punishment then is self-inflicted and deserved.  Not that punishing Trent drives any of my thoughts here but just saying if it did then he'd be punished and IMO humiliated more from being forced to come back than any other scenario. 

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agree with everything, except for the fact that if Tom goes there, he is telling them you better spend the #6 pick on someone who can help us win now. I'm not going there to groom your next QB. Get Simmons or okudah.  

Rap was on NFLN earlier saying Brady is not limiting himself to a must win this year team.  He's willing to go where he can help grow and win over time so kinda goes against that theory.  I think that keeps Tampa in the mix.

Just putting this out there, Las Vegas wants Tom Brady BAD!  It's been made known.  IF they signed Brady they would have Mariota and Carr plus Brady under contract.  Would Carr be enticing to RR/Turner?  Not trying to conjure up a conspiracy theory.  Just a thought.  I see the Chargers as the team Brady goes too and hope so because TW make a TON of sense there and the #37 overall pick is fair trade comp. for TW, IMO.  

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Rap was on NFLN earlier saying Brady is not limiting himself to a must win this year team.  He's willing to go where he can help grow and win over time so kinda goes against that theory.  I think that keeps Tampa in the mix.

I don't see it. He is 43 years old by opening day!  He isn't going to a rebuilding team.  He might be saying that to create leverage, but no way he goes to a team he feels doesn't have a shot in 2020. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Murray was light years ahead of Haskins last year.

Based on non-advanced stats, without context, sure.

Anyway, the only real hang-up I can see that would make Brady pass on the Chargers is having to share a division with Mahomes and Reid.  Brady, more than anyone, knows the value of having a doormat division that guarantees a playoff berth every year.  It will be much tougher to win that division with Mahomes in it.  But then again, the same would be true playing in Tampa, going against Brees and Payton.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Murray was light years ahead of Haskins last year.

Not sure if Allen or Darnold are good QBs yet.

I agree Murray was 'better' than Haskins, but there are a lot of factors involved here that don't really allow me to say they were THAT far apart.

Murray was starter the second his name was read at the podium, Haskins was hidden on the scout team.  Rumors that he didnt even practice actual Redskins plays til he was named the starter, and Murray was in a completely different styled offense, where he was asked to throw.  Haskins was in an offense that was designed to be run first.

I am starting to think that if TB12 ends up with the LA Chargers that Trent heads there and the player coming back our way is Mike Williams. I would presume with a pick as well.

We are going hard after playmakers. Williams has untapped potential and is a huge deep threat. Tom Brady does not throw deep balls at this stage of his career. Offense relies heavily on TE so Hunter Henry aint going anywhere.

Trade Trent Williams to the LAC for Mike Williams and a 3rd round pick. Trade the 3rd round pick to the Bucs for OJ Howard? Haha.

This isn't a post advocating for Brady. It just seems like the Skins are as close to the Peyton-to-Denver-to-Super Bowl situation as any other team that Brady might sign with. LA has star power, but as a city, DC represents power. Could be tempting for him.

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Think about the difference in the way that Darnold, Allen, Murray, and Jones are perceived, and the way that Haskins is perceived.  Those guys have all been just as uneven and struggled just as much as rookies and sophomores as Haskins did.  But their organizations are fully and clearly committed to them.  Free agents know that those guys will be the QB for the team for the one or two year windows in which they're getting the bulk of their guaranteed money.  We created the uncertainty with Haskins by botching his development and failing to commit to him.  It's been a sequence of self-inflicted wounds with our quarterbacks for years, and one of the consequences is that FAs don't trust that we have a plan at QB, and they're not going to choose us over anyone who does seem to have a plan.  Not without us paying through the nose for them.

I think Sheehan nailed the self inflicting wound that has lingered about Haskins perception wise and that's the work ethic questions.  And if they have issues with that keep it in house versus telling the world.  That story has been covered by really everyone who covers the team and some national reporters too -- and most of whom have said they've heard it from multiple people in that building and from both the FO and coaches.   But the perception has really gone viral.  I see it all over twitter and heck its become like a colloquial point on TV and radio shows when discussing Haskins.  And to your point, I'd bet all the young QB's have their positives and negatives.  Some of them might be valid, some not and it's more likely kept in house. 

But I don't get the impression though that the issue is that with Haskins as for FAs.  The narrative is turning in a more positive direction on that concern anyway.  It comes off more simple than that listening to Keim in particular.  That is, Haskins isn't a finished product like let's say Dak.  Some think he will be good, some think he will be a bust, some think he's just average.  I don't think it's that different from Darnold on that front even though he's deeper in his career.  With Darnold do we know he's a franchise QB, yet?

I agree that the perception will turn after this season if Haskins plays well and the team looks stronger.  I suspect the team is indeed committed to Haskins but according to Keim among others Rivera has a plan to push Haskins and they feel he's the type who is driven by stuff like that.   So we are going to hear about competition, etc. 

Archived