Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

Yeah, put me aboard the crowd of those concerned about only bringing on board coaches you know from your last failed job.  Surely some of these coaches have other circles where they have met with coaches from other teams, or know them professionally and would be interested to bring them in for an interview?  Kind of seems like we just traded Tampa for Carolina, which is admittedly a step up.  Hopefully its an even bigger step up.

20 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Yeah, put me aboard the crowd of those concerned about only bringing on board coaches you know from your last failed job.  Surely some of these coaches have other circles where they have met with coaches from other teams, or know them professionally and would be interested to bring them in for an interview?  Kind of seems like we just traded Tampa for Carolina, which is admittedly a step up.  Hopefully its an even bigger step up.

Funny you mention that because I just heard an interview with Joe Banner (former NFL exec), who expressed similiar concerns.

Basically, Banner thinks Rivera is staffing based on familiarity rather than finding the best people for the job.

Ideally, the best staffs have a mixture of the familiar and strangers. Young and old etc.

Also thinks Eric Shaffer shouldn't be replaced etc

The inbreeding in the NFL coaching ranks is interesting.  Norv Turner and Ernie Zampese used to be assistants on the same coaching staff with the Rams.  Now their children, Scott Turner and Ken Zampese, may be assistants on the same staff with the Redskins.

If you accept as fact that Coach Rivera wants to win and understands he is being evaluated on wins/losses; it is reasonable to believe that he is surrounding himself with coaches he believes will give him the best chance of winning.  I understand that not every one agrees on every choice and there is some loyalty to a select few staff members, but he is the HC and these are his choices.

To all those who believed that the owner was still meddling and would insist we keep his boy as OC, hope this is evidence that we have turned a corner and football people are now making football decisions (even if you don't agree with them).  HTTR.

9 minutes ago, evmiii said:

If you accept as fact that Coach Rivera wants to win and understands he is being evaluated on wins/losses; it is reasonable to believe that he is surrounding himself with coaches he believes will give him the best chance of winning.  I understand that not every one agrees on every choice and there is some loyalty to a select few staff members, but he is the HC and these are his choices.

To all those who believed that the owner was still meddling and would insist we keep his boy as OC, hope this is evidence that we have turned a corner and football people are now making football decisions (even if you don't agree with them).  HTTR.

great point....

To go further, if you want to believe we are going 'Coach-Centric' like has been said, then you have to believe Rivera has a vision and is finding pieces that fit within the template of what that vision is. 

54 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Devastating news........truly devastating.  That Cowboys front is going to look much better.  Their linebackers are already phenomenal, they will probably get Richard back as a demoted coach and he might even coach the secondary under Mike Nolan.  On top of that they just acquired Fassel.  Not very happy about the Cowpukes coaching staff.  Talented team with talented coaches = headache for the division.

16 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

Devastating news........truly devastating.  That Cowboys front is going to look much better.  Their linebackers are already phenomenal, they will probably get Richard back as a demoted coach and he might even coach the secondary under Mike Nolan.  On top of that they just acquired Fassel.  Not very happy about the Cowpukes coaching staff.  Talented team with talented coaches = headache for the division.

Sucks that he went to the Cowboys,but he wasn't all that great..Marinelli  was probably better than Tomsula anyways

1 minute ago, mojo said:

I never got all the love for Tomsula.  For all the talent we have, we continuously underperformed IMHO.  I’m anxious to what a new voice can do for this group.

I dont get it either..**** Sam Mills that the Redskins just hired had the second most sacks last year..

1 minute ago, mojo said:

I never got all the love for Tomsula.  For all the talent we have, we continuously underperformed IMHO.  I’m anxious to what a new voice can do for this group.

Understandable.......I think I felt deeply about it because he was an amazing hire.  We haven't had a ton of good quality coaches.  Plus I thought it was always huge that Tomsula had a front seat to work with those guys at the combine as well.  Again, I guess we just have to have faith in Rivera and Del Rio...i'm sure they will oversee this talented group.

So, I’ve been mulling this Carolina to Washington coach poach. There’s a bunch of different ways to feel about it, but for short term, I think I’m going to choose this way. 

Most of us were pretty happy with Rivera being picked as head coach, but Rivera’s rep wasn’t built by him alone. The reason we feel good about Rivera is because of the job he did with the Panthers. The reason he did a good job with the Panthers has a lot to do with the staff he assembled there. 

So, if we’re excited about Rivera, we should be excited that he’s bringing with him the team that made him successful. 

It’s not as simple as that, of course, but it’s also not an out of bounds thought either. 

2 hours ago, RabidFan said:

And here I thought he wanted to keep Randy Jordan for RB coach yet now we find out he sought after his coach in Car for the gig but was denied.

IF the new coaching staff wants another RB coach I'd look for Peetz to replace Randy Jordan.  I have no problems with Randy Jordan as our RB coach but just saying. :) 

12 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So, I’ve been mulling this Carolina to Washington coach poach. There’s a bunch of different ways to feel about it, but for short term, I think I’m going to choose this way. 

Most of us were pretty happy with Rivera being picked as head coach, but Rivera’s rep wasn’t built by him alone. The reason we feel good about Rivera is because of the job he did with the Panthers. The reason he did a good job with the Panthers has a lot to do with the staff he assembled there. 

So, if we’re excited about Rivera, we should be excited that he’s bringing with him the team that made him successful. 

It’s not as simple as that, of course, but it’s also not an out of bounds thought either. 

I agree. Obviously, Rivera strongly believes that his coaching staff wasn't the problem in Carolina and we're going to have to just trust that he knows what he's doing by bringing in all these guys.

I do like, however, that his biggest hire was Del Rio for DC and he was not a carryover from Carolina. You can make the argument that Turner as OC and Zampese as QB coach are more important hires, simply because they'll be responsible for the development of Haskins.

But a killer D is also big for a young QB. If you're D is holding teams to minimal points and consistently setting up your O with good field position, it's going to make the growing process and life a lot easier on your young QB. 

2 hours ago, RabidFan said:

And here I thought he wanted to keep Randy Jordan for RB coach yet now we find out he sought after his coach in Car for the gig but was denied.

They probably asked Carolina first and Randy was plan B. I'm guessing the team was waiting out Carolina to see if the new coach (now Rhule) would want to keep Peetz. I guess we'll get an answer shortly

Archived