Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Could do wonders for Holcomb’s development if Rivera hires Luke to the staff. 

I am sure pleasantries have been exchanged.  But we already have a LB coach so it would have to be some type of an assistant position coach. Though it doesn’t seem as though we have an assistant LB coach 

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am sure pleasantries have been exchanged.  But we already have a LB coach so it would have to be some type of an assistant position coach. Though it doesn’t seem as though we have an assistant LB coach 

Yeah, that's what I meant.  I'm sure he's already close to our new LB position coach as well, which is a plus.

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I posted this elsewhere, or maybe earlier in this thread.  Of the 11 "main" coaches (OC, QB, RB, OL, TE, WR, DC, DL, LB, DB, STC), 2 of the 3 coordinators are new to Ron (DC and ST), and overall 5 of the total 11 are either holdovers (RB/STC), or outside hires (DC/QB/(I can't remember and too lazy to look it up).

So, sure, there are some holdovers from Carolina.  But there's also about 50% of the direct coordinators and position coaches who are 'new."

What really skews the numbers is I think ALL of the assistant position coaches and the quality control coaches are either from Carolina or are relatives of Ron or Jack.  But those positions turn over every year anyway, so it's not that big a deal.  

Loyalty doesn’t necessarily mean not “new”. I was commenting on the loyalty in the way Vrabel described his staff being on the same page and not focusing on their own agenda to advance. Kind of like the narrative that Callahan tied KOCs hand. KOC seems like the self promoting type of coach who would create the discord Vrabel wants to avoid and that’s why Ron didn’t retain him. 

I still don't understand why a football team needs all these coaches. Assistant wr's coach..lol   These days in the NFL the position coaches have assistants. What do all of these coaches actually do all day long?  Just one good old boy hire after another if you ask me. 

10 minutes ago, Alexa said:

I still don't understand why a football team needs all these coaches. Assistant wr's coach..lol   These days in the NFL the position coaches have assistants. What do all of these coaches actually do all day long?  Just one good old boy hire after another if you ask me. 

If its a big circle jerk then waste of coaches but hopefully more eyes means more checks and balances and vision

3 hours ago, Alexa said:

The answer is the assistant position coaches and the quality control coaches are grooming grounds and entry level positions. 

They might/might not provide any value to the team, however they are learning and doing a lot of the grunt work.  Every career has to start somewhere.  

If they do well, then they get recommended as a position coach elsewhere or promoted when the position coach leaves.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wellll errrybody should know where I stand on this recent addition to the coaching staff....I was the one asking why isnt there a female head coach yet...good for you Ron Rivera!!...all yall haters can go suck it..."hey everybody, I just cordially invited every hater out there to suck it, I now cordially invite all the non haters to embrace it"...Michael Scott

Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Ike Hilliard on landing the WR coach gig with the Steelers. He's a good dude, a helluva coach. I'm glad that he landed on his feet, and with such a well-run organization. They draft well, and he'll no doubt have plenty of stones to polish in the coming years. Nice move for him. Can't understand why the Eagles didn't go after him. A lot of their staffing moves have been bizarre.

33 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Congrats to Ike Hilliard on landing the WR coach gig with the Steelers. He's a good dude, a helluva coach. I'm glad that he landed on his feet, and with such a well-run organization. They draft well, and he'll no doubt have plenty of stones to polish in the coming years.

And the Steelers' GM is known for drafting WR gems repeatedly, and none of them even came in the 1st round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing to do in light of what's going on in sports and the health concerns we all are dealing with. Been spending a little time watching the coaching staff interviews. I must say, Drew Terrell is impressive. He has a humble way about him that reminds me of McClaurin. I have a feeling they'll mesh pretty well. As a matter of fact, I like the entire WR corps from that perspective. The rest of the coaching staff really exudes the type of personalities that I think will do well with most of the players on this team IMO. We don't really have guys on this team that give off a arrogant vibe. They all seem to be good humble team guys which I like. So from that standpoint, I believe we've got a nice mix. Which of the new coaches do you like and why? 

https://www.redskins.com/video/the-staff-that-ron-built-drew-terrell-assistant-wr-coach

Archived