Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Snyder donated $1M to Trump's inauguration for a start. 

The 'kiss my ass' bit is not going to help Del Rio here. It is a free Country and people are absolutely entitled to support and believe in whatever and whoever they want to - but people are also fully entitled to judge them based on that support and how they express it. Who you support says a lot about your values.

Now with with my MOD hat on - it is fine to continue this conversation in the Stadium about the impact and fall out of this as it relates to the team. If anyone wants to discuss the politics of it there are several threads in Tailgate for that purpose.

I don’t care about the politics of it so much as I have a problem with the potential of him getting canned because of his beliefs. Everyone has em. As an adult JDR should probably be a little smarter in how he discloses his beliefs seeing as how he’s been around the league long enough to know the repercussions, but I do admire the heck out of his brash no-nonsense attitude.

7 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Except he IS posting nonsense, i.e. a fake tweet to attack someone (AOC) whose politics he doesn’t like.

He needs to do better as a leader.

No nonsense as in he doesn’t really care what he says or posts. I may not agree but I do believe in having the freedom to post on a social media site. At this point expecting everyone involved on your team to represent the same morals and ideals is unrealistic. His job is to be a defensive coach and as long as he’s excelling at what he’s paid to do and so long as he’s not going out there breaking laws, then let him run his mouth. 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

then let him run his mouth. 

What if running his mouth alienates him from some of his players? Lots of this stuff is built on trust that 'this guy wouldn't tell me to do the wrong thing'. I argue you risk losing that trust when you act this silly publicly for whatever reason it is. 

Also 

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

No nonsense as in he doesn’t really care what he says or posts.

Thats not what no nonsense means at all lol

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

His job is to be a defensive coach and as long as he’s excelling at what he’s paid to do and so long as he’s not going out there breaking laws, then let him run his mouth. 

Agreed - to a point. What you say and do outside of your job can impact your ability to do that job. 

I am not saying that's the case here - but look for example at Mike Gundy, he wears an OAN T-shirt and posts supporting the content of that network' and suddenly he has at least one player openly saying he does not want to play for him and others I am sure changing their view of him as a coach and person based on that. 

Del Rio is new to most of the players on the roster and most will not have even met him. Now he wont be the first middle aged white coach they have come across with a certain world view ... but let's just say this has not made it easier for him to win the respect and trust of players.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Now with with my MOD hat on - it is fine to continue this conversation in the Stadium about the impact and fall out of this as it relates to the team. If anyone wants to discuss the politics of it there are several threads in Tailgate for that purpose.

Thanks Martin. There are actually conservative gun owning pro life members of this forum as well. Hoping that we all can continue to come here and escape the outside world as we discuss REDSKINS football.

32 minutes ago, Llevron said:

What if running his mouth alienates him from some of his players? Lots of this stuff is built on trust that 'this guy wouldn't tell me to do the wrong thing'. I argue you risk losing that trust when you act this silly publicly for whatever reason it is. 

Then they iron out their differences in private. I guarantee not everyone I or you or anyone works with all have the same beliefs politically. I have friends that don't but that doesn't nor should it define your relationship. It's arrogant to assume your own beliefs are they only ones that make sense. 

37 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Agreed - to a point. What you say and do outside of your job can impact your ability to do that job. 

I am not saying that's the case here - but look for example at Mike Gundy, he wears an OAN T-shirt and posts supporting the content of that network' and suddenly he has at least one player openly saying he does not want to play for him and others I am sure changing their view of him as a coach and person based on that. 

Del Rio is new to most of the players on the roster and most will not have even met him. Now he wont be the first middle aged white coach they have come across with a certain world view ... but let's just say this has not made it easier for him to win the respect and trust of players.

I see what you're saying but I would like to add a couple of counterpoints. I don't know if what someone says impacts their ability to do the job as much as it impacts others from doing their jobs.  In the case of Chubba Howard, again, while I agree with Chubba's sentiments and stand on the same side of the fence as he, I think it's a bad precedence to just dictate what coaches or anyone can do because of their beliefs. I agree with standing up for your beliefs, but if you have a problem with something one of your coaches or fellow teammates say, work that crap out behind the scenes. Don't drum up turmoil on social media because that NEVER ends well. Media feeds off controversy and posters act solely off emotion without looking deeper into the issues. They usually have the tendency to spiral to the point where i'm surprised there didn't become a massive OSU backlash because of it. Opinions shouldn't be weaponized. 

In terms of JDR, while most of the players probably never met him, word does travel fast in the league. Players talk to other players and there's probably a lot more communication amongst non-teammates than we think. It may sound selfish, but I want players that want to play the game and win for the team. I'm not saying put politics aside, there's a lot of time to state your stance and opinions (like the offseason), but I expect professionals to be that... professionals. If Jack decides to be obnoxiously outspoken during the season and in front of his players, then yes, it would potentially leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths. But players on this team already know where Dan sides on the political scale and no one seemed to have an issue. I'm sure most of the owners fall on that side as well. HEll, didn't Jerry Jones demand his players not kneel? There didn't seem to be much of an issue with that with the exception I think of Michael Bennett.

That's all I'll say on the matter.

Edit: I'll add that my final point probably made it seem I was against Colin's kneeling. I fully support it and agree with it so I slightly rescind that point about waiting for the offseason to take a stance. I won't erase it because I'm admitting what I said wasn't worded correctly instead of just pretending I didn't say it.

35 minutes ago, MartinC said:

... but let's just say this has not made it easier for him to win the respect and trust of players.

Exactly, and that’s the point here, and in this forum.

Hopefully the players can be more mature than their coach and look past his behavior on social media. But why put that question to someone they have yet to meet and work with.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't know if what someone says impacts their ability to do the job as much as it impacts others from doing their jobs. 

But given Del Rio is not tackling or covering anyone - his job is getting people to do their jobs. It may be this incident blows away and has little impact on that, but it's not made it any easier for him for sure.

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

But given Del Rio is not tackling or covering anyone - his job is getting people to do their jobs. It may be this incident blows away and has little impact on that, but it's not made it any easier for him for sure.

I’ll concede that that is probably true. 

Still not deleted, on the same day that the team announces they're taking down George Preston Marshall's statue. I'm surprised Rivera isn't in his ear about building bridges rather than burning them.

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Still not deleted, on the same day that the team announces they're taking down George Preston Marshall's statue. I'm surprised Rivera isn't in his ear about building bridges rather than burning them.

Well it doesn't seem to be national news, so maybe they think they can keep it as in house as possible and just work past it. At the end of the day your personal beliefs really shouldn't mess up your job unless they are something that can hurt people. This shouldn't have anything to do with anything. But if the NFL keeps bending to public pressure it might. This would be a positive step imo if we can just all be adults and ignore it. All of my team at work agree with Del Rio and they are open about it. Doesnt stop me from working with them cause I have to get paid. Im sure NFL players can do the same without any public pressure. 

That public pressure is a **** though. Imagine being in position where you feel you have to speak out about this stuff because if you dont you are a sell out......Del Rio made that a possibility. Lets hope no one goes there. 

The issue is not his beliefs or viewpoints or politics, it's his actions.

The coaches need to lead by example. There is nothing Del Rio did here that I would want any of the players to follow. Seriously hoping and praying none of the Skins players think "Well if he can do it..."

Brees was able to rebound and apparently retained the respect of his teammates in the process. If this has bothered any of the Skins players I hope Del Rio is able to rectify it with them. I'm also hoping Rivera and even Snyder are in his ear letting him know all the ways in which his actions--not his beliefs--don't serve the team well at all. He represents the Redskins now...gotta do better than that.

This is extremely unfortunate. Not because he stated his opinion but that he even has that opinion to begin with. I am still confused how anyone with a grain of dignity can support a person with such terrible character.  

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

Del Rio is a ****ing idiot.

If a player started spatting politics on twitter like that they'd be cut.

There is no way a player would be cut for simply voicing politics. He would be cut if he sucked and went on a crazy-rant. Teams have shown time and time again they don't care--if you can play, you'll be signed.

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could be an indicator that Rivera does not vehemently oppose. I'm sure the 2 have talked by now, and specifically about this.

I don't think it's an indication of anything really, if they aren't back in the building yet I doubt they've talked about this. As someone else said, it hasn't really blown up as a story at this time. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

if they aren't back in the building yet I doubt they've talked about this.

Maybe not in person, but you don't think Rivera and JDR have talked by phone or other device, since this happened, the way media and social media is now melting about it ?

I'd venture to say they probably talk on a daily basis, or close to that, for football reasons, already before this happened. No doubt this subject must have come up in that.

Archived