Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

Here is the announced coaching staff for your 2020 Washington Redskins:

https://twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1217462777188683777/photo/1

image.png.d6101b6ed5561636c4a0cf346bd804

The thing I keep coming back for in recent refreshes is news of who will be named to Rivera's staff. We now know that Jack Del Rio is a given. I think everything else is up in the air. Although this was just reported.

Can we use this thread to keep track of all the hirings and firings? I'll try to update as the news is released.

HC Ron Rivera

DC- Jack Del Rio

DL Coach- Sam Mills

LB Coach- Steve Russ

DB Coach- Chris Harris

S Coach- Richard Rodgers

ST Coach Nate Kaczor

assistant special teams coach Ben Jacobs

OC- Scott Turner?

OLine Coach- John Matsko

QB Coach- Ken Zampese?

TE Coach- Pete Hoener

WR Coach- Jim Hostler?/Ike Hilliard? (USA Today Article suggests it may be Hilliard)

RB Coach- Randy Jordan

Quality/Asst Coaches- Luke Del Rio, Leia Del Ria, Han Del Rio, & Chewie Del Rio (Other than Luke, these additions may be a sign of sleep deprivation)

Panthers longtime trainer Ryan Vermillion

I think this makes sense. He did a commendable job holding the ship together, but if he doesn't get the job then going backwards two steps from HC to position coach just would be tough to swallow.

Still, I am glad that Bill served this year and rallied the team. The last half of a year we were a bad team, but one that looked like a real team.

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

They're just riding the tweet from Julie Donaldson.

Nothing has really been official so far.

With Del Rio, Manusky is out, and Tomsula as well that's a given. Callahan, obviousl, but everyone knew that.

53 minutes ago, Skinsota said:

I’d be disappointed to hear that Ike Hilliard is not coming back. We shall see. 

Who has gotten better under Hilliard's tutelage*?  I would argue the "success" we've had recently out of our WR group is due to the players thriving on their pre-redskins natural ability and hard work.

*To be fair, I can't think of any player outside of Flowers (and possibly Ioannidis) who has gotten better under the skins, and that coach is gone.

3 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Who has gotten better under Hilliard's tutelage*?  I would argue the "success" we've had recently out of our WR group is due to the players thriving on their pre-redskins natural ability and hard work.

*To be fair, I can't think of any player outside of Flowers (and possibly Ioannidis) who has gotten better under the skins, and that coach is gone.

Steve Simms is the most obvious example of some who improved in a major way, but we had three rookie receivers with different sets who all developed enough to form a credible receiving corp. I don't think that's all on the players or Bruce Allen's incredible eye for talent. I think it was a great coaching job.

1 minute ago, Silvernon said:

Steve Wilks as DB

Al Holcomb as LB

It's a very good defensive staff.

Is this a guess or did you see it reported somewhere? Asking so I can know if I need to upgrade the OP

15 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Steve Wilks as DB

Al Holcomb as LB

It's a very good defensive staff.

Your probably going to want to look at what D coaching staff Del Rio has had during his NFL coaching career to see who will fill in the blanks on the D.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Wilks is still under contract with Cleveland and has already said he's not coming.

I bet he gets let go when new coach is hired.  Whether he comes here or not is another story, but he was db coach for Rivera in the past, and having a position coach who has succeeded in that role for the same HC in the past, and also has head coaching experience, would be a nice addition.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I bet he gets let go when new coach is hired.  Whether he comes here or not is another story, but he was db coach for Rivera in the past, and having a position coach who has succeeded in that role for the same HC in the past, and also has head coaching experience, would be a nice addition.

Possibly, but unlikely. If he wasn't coming here for DC role, why would he take a lesser position, unless the Browns completely **** him over?

This is how the process should work. We already know Callahan is getting replaced with a lesser guy. He's probably still the best in the business, he made Erek Flowers serviceable. I like everyone else am pretty impressed by Ike Hilliard, he'll be coaching again for sure. This isn't his last stop. 

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Possibly, but unlikely. If he wasn't coming here for DC role, why would he take a lesser position, unless the Browns completely **** him over?

There are only a handful of DC openings, and if wilks can rejoin a staff that he liked working for, and knowing Rivera will have a long leash and at least a few seasons as HC, it could be his best option overall.  Tomsula did the same progression from HC back to position coach.  A lot of these guys would rather take the position job than be out of work.  

no disrespect but i didn't want callahan as the next hc, nor do i think he'll get that job anywhere as long as the other media-noted options we already know circling out there are available...on a 1-10 i'd have him at 5

rivera's a solid 8 (at least in heels) with a little room to improve

if you need any more scores on other football people let me know

Archived